[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• Nice. Now we'll have to figure out an easy way to make matching icons with models of the sip.
  • I don't really know if there is an easy way to do that, is there any way to extract the models from the pack files ?

I was rather thinking about radar blips in the style of EVE Online :
  • I've tried to progress on the radar icons front, but as for now my results are not much conclusive. I searched the Open Game Art directory for good vessels, and tried to use Skorpio's Spaceship Construction Set (http://opengameart.org/content/space-ship-construction-kit), which is free to use (even in commercial projects). The first result was quite good in my humble opinion :

I've tried to reduce it and make it black&white, to apply it to the Ktiltian Scout template. Sadly, I kinda suck at art and things went worse than expected :
    (I've converted to grayscale on GIMP, then enhanced sharpness. Maybe I need to fiddle with some of the parameters to have)

I tried to fire up EE anyways to see how it looked :

An important point would be art consistency, and not to have a patchwork of vessels of different styles.
  • I am experiencing a "jitter" in the steering which seems to occur when the turning speed is high, and when the main view is shown on the same computer (eg. 1 player mode). For instance, turning to a bearing of 25.5 will result in the ship "wobbling" between 25.1 and 25.9.

When the view is switched to Helm only, the wobble stops. Reducing the manoeuvrability power will also fix the wobble.
  • I think for the icons, start with a much bigger picture (512x512 for example) and only scale it down to the icon size when you are done. Else you do not have the resolution to blur/scale/modify to what you want.
  • Just to let you know what I plan on working on next. The current shield implementation. Stations use 1 shield, ships use 2 shields. But I want to make this configurable in the ship templates. 1 shield, 2 shields, 4 shields.

Also want to remove a bunch of duplicate code between the stations and ships.
  • @daid I've made some attempt at tidying up spelling etc in the Edge of Space mission, I've referred heavily to the article you provided and hopefully I've pushed my changes and created my Pull Request properly this time. Let me know if not, I'm very much a GitHub newbie.
  • Happy new years to all !
    We had a little game this night with 3 friends to try the new build this is our feedback.
    Globally we really liked it and we are impressed by the evolution of the game. We saw that the warp drive had some tweaks, now we can "cruise" for long distance like in star trek. Still, there is a speed cap at 150km/min. Is it a limitation from the game engin or a "personal" choice ? Thus going into warp 3.0 or 4.0 or pushing the warp core at 200% and warp 2.0 dosent change anything.

We had a few suggestion tho :
    -Would it be possible to have a zoom in the science view ?
    -In the relay view, would it be possible to have a "jump view to coordinates". In case of a really big map you sometime want to jump the view somewhere on the map.
    -Sometimes the heat indicator shows that it should be decreasing but it still going up. Exemple : Going warp 2.0 and the warp core at 150%~175% with loots of coolant the heat arrow show its should decrease but the heat actually goes up.
    -I saw in the basic scenario that they are some astéroïdes but I could not find it in the GM "create" menu.
    -Could we have asteroids from different sizes ?

We find the GM menu well done and easy to manage but there is a few little gizmo that we think would enrich the GM and the players expérience.
    -The possibility to "add text" to objects and when the science scan it he would see the text. (and the possibility to scan astéroïde and bases)
    -The possibility for the GM to give reputation and energy to the players.
    -The possibility to "save the map" in the gm view. Sort of a Map creator.

Sorry if there is some doublons from previous post.

And thanks for the great job and we might tip the cookie jar shortly ;)
  • I would second @KliVer regarding science having a zoom option, it can get a little tricky to select the right entity sometimes. I'll raise an issue for consideration on GitHub.

By the way @daid I'm loving those Yellow/Red alert overlays. Do you have enough for the new Frigate models you wanted now?
  • Donation wise I'm good on buying the extra models. Will do soon (time time time...)

-Would it be possible to have a zoom in the science view ?
    With the new radar implementation I did a while back to fix some issues I can think of a few ways on how to do this.
    -In the relay view, would it be possible to have a "jump view to coordinates". In case of a really big map you sometime want to jump the view somewhere on the map.
    How big of a map are you playing on? A jump-to-sector could be useful I guess. Have to see how to work this out for touch-screen play.
    -Sometimes the heat indicator shows that it should be decreasing but it still going up. Exemple : Going warp 2.0 and the warp core at 150%~175% with loots of coolant the heat arrow show its should decrease but the heat actually goes up.
    Current heat indicator arrow only accounts for power/coolant levels, not for extra heat generated from engines/beamweapons/etc...
    -I saw in the basic scenario that they are some astéroïdes but I could not find it in the GM "create" menu.
    Yes, these are not creatable from the GM screen yet. There are more objects that are currently scripts only.
    -Could we have asteroids from different sizes ?
    Could look into that. Should not be too complex.

-The possibility to "add text" to objects and when the science scan it he would see the text. (and the possibility to scan astéroïde and bases)
    Instead of astroids there are "artifacts" that can be scanned, and can be made to look like anything. But only from scripts right now. Scripts can also apply descriptions on objects that science can see.

-The possibility for the GM to give reputation and energy to the players.
    Good point.

-The possibility to "save the map" in the gm view. Sort of a Map creator.
    F5 copies the current map to the clipboard so you can save it to a scenario script. This is not a full "save", but a map creator feature. As it does not save every property of ships right now.
  • @HOU5E You're almost there with the pull request. You've correctly pushed the changes to your fork. But you have not created a pull request yet. There should be a green button on:
    https://github.com/Wrongtown/EmptyEpsilon
    With "new pull request".

Also note that you still have a merge conflict unresolved in your fork:
    https://github.com/Wrongtown/EmptyEpsilon/blob/master/scripts/scenario_03_edgeofspace.lua#L550

(Nothing I cannot do/fix myself. As I can also create a pull request from your fork. But you expressed the willingness to learn. So I hope you appreciate the comments)
  • That F5 in GM View feature is good to know about!! Seeing lots of positive things there, would it be helpful to add them as issues on GitHub?

Meanwhile I may have finally got that Pull Request in order, please let me know if I've missed anything. I definitely appreciate the opportunity to learn more and thereby be more useful!

On that note, I've been trying to investigate how to play sounds at certain points in a .lua script, I found this documentation but I keep getting an error stating that I'm attempting to index a nil value (global 'audio') so I'm guessing I'm missing where I go about defining "audio" as an entity earlier in the script?
  • thanks with the fast responds ;)

I havent check out the scrips yep, I'm not so good with programmation so I fear the moment I have to "creatobject" and stuffs like that. Is there a technical difficulties to just have a "add asteroids" in the create menu in the gm screen ?
    I'm gona try that F5 feature.

For the size we tested ou some warp speed up to "jj26" so yeah quite far. The goal is to have a small exploration scénario where the players must travel à big distance analyse stuffs, investigate, doing a bit of roleplay (going to the shipwreck, analyzing samples, ...) then come back. So not just fight scénario.
    So having some "customizable" astéroïdes, debris, shipwreck would be fun. And by customizable i mean adding a bit of text and to possibility to scan it.
  • Playing audio from scripts is currently not possible. There is also the question, do you want to play it on the server, on all clients, on a specific station, at a specific location in the world (so only close ships hear it)

Adding astroids to the GM menu should be easy.
    See: https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/blob/master/src/screens/gameMasterScreen.cpp#L476

Some result of the shield rework I'm doing:
    Only did stations right now. And I have bugs on the "which shield is hit" detection.
    So having some "customizable" astéroïdes, debris, shipwreck would be fun. And by customizable i mean adding a bit of text and to possibility to scan it.
    Can be done with the Artifact object. Example:
    a = Artifact():setPosition(1000, 1000) a:setModel("shield_generator") --Any model from the model_data.lua a:setDescription("An odd object in space...") a:setScanningParameters(2, 2) -- Set the scanning requirements to 2 sets of 2 bars
    (Note, untested. Not sure if scanning already works properly)
  • Also, for scripting, it's good to know the latest EE release contains a file called "script_reference.html"

This file contains all the functions that can be called on objects. It's by no means a guide, but it is generated from the code so it will contain all functions.
    For general Lua, you can check:
    http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/

Note that the io, os, file and debug functions are not available for security reasons.
  • Regarding audio, the particular use cases I had in mind were:

1) Tutorial instructions (alternatively some method of popping up dialogue on any given station could work, but seems like this could interfere with the user trying to follow those instructions).

2) The possibility of sending Comms messages which include an option to play a recording. I've seen this used to decent effect in Artemis SBS missions.

I do think that both of these cases could bloat the size of the core, so would probably be best to package such missions as an optional package.

• Can be done with the Artifact object. Example:
    a = Artifact():setPosition(1000, 1000) a:setModel("shield_generator") --Any model from the model_data.lua a:setDescription("An odd object in space...") a:setScanningParameters(2, 2) -- Set the scanning requirements to 2 sets of 2 bars
    (Note, untested. Not sure if scanning already works properly)
    I keep meaning to come back here and say that I have tested spawning a few of these and so far no luck with Scanning via the Science screen. They can be selected and come up as "Independent" without the Scan button being rendered.
  • Nice work on the shields, it will be better :)
  • Just pushed the changes for the shields. They are a big amount of changes. I also fixed an odd bug, where the amount of power you had into your shield system effected the amount of hull damage you would get (oops)

Currently, player ships should only be fitted with 1 or 2 shields. As there are no engineering systems for more then 2. (Rear system will control all the other shields as well)

I've also updated the script functions a bit, instead of using "setTemplate" for stations and "setShipTemplate" for ships, now both need to use "setTemplate". "setShipTemplate" is still available, but will be removed at some point. (just don't want to break all custom changes right now)

It still misses script functions to properly query and modify all the shields. But the basic new shield implementation should work fine ingame now.
  • daid said:

Also, for scripting, it's good to know the latest EE release contains a file called "script_reference.html"

This file contains all the functions that can be called on objects. It's by no means a guide, but it is generated from the code so it will contain all functions.
    For general Lua, you can check:
    http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/

Note that the io, os, file and debug functions are not available for security reasons.

Just wondered if the script_reference.html should be included in the code pulled from GitHub or is it just going to be added to releases?
  • @HOU5E, If you have Python installed you can generate the script_reference.html file with compile_script_docs.py from the code in GitHub.
  • In game engines it's usually fairly standard to have different ways to handle sound "location"

I'd say that the scripting could do with a simple playSound for each station and a location based (simple X, Y and a "size" (linear falloff in volume)). The location based should be handled by the server (and thus heard by all players).

On a completely different note; holyshit, where did all the new people came from. Didn't check this page for some time, and all of the sudden there are a gazillion people working on this. Awesome!
  • Thanks @kwadroke, I don't have it on this machien but all the more reason to now :)

@nallath sounds good to me. Most of the time you'd probably want to play through Main Screen, but the Tutorial example I gave before might be good for the new player to hear it directly through their station. That way a crew of newbies could all be running through their station tutorial in parallel rather than one at a time. Mind you I guess they could just run a Main Screen + Station and they'll hear it anyway.
  • Hmm pulled down the latest changes and Code::Blocks is failing the build, anyone else having trouble?
  • @HOU5E, Not using Code::Blocks, but, I'm getting a failed build using make myself.
    Looks to be a SeriousProton problem. Seems to be due to a newer commit. Possibly in src/scriptOnterfaceMagic.h
  • Yeah scriptInterfaceMagic.h for SeriousProton is mentioned here also. Ah well, I should be getting some sleep anyway :)
  • SeriousProton has been updated, make sure that you have the latest. I will try to compile it later.
  • I am pulling down the latest from daid's repos. My build script checks for updates for SP & EE.

My Build script should now log and upload failures to http://brigdesim.net/build/emptyepsilon. Files should have the .FAIL extension.

Here's the latest fail log http://bridgesim.net/builds/emptyepsilon/EmptyEpsilon-EXE_20160108-1125_e39e589.FAIL It includes the SP & EE commit rev numbers.
  • The logs go to http://bridgesim.net/builds/emptyepsilon (last link had a typo)
  • I forgot to commit a piece of SeriousProton as part of the new shielding code. Done now.

Compiler errors in template code are always difficult to read. But it comes down to the fact that it cannot find a method to convert a list of parameters to a script function to a C++ list.