[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• daid said:

FYI, Just pushed a patch that allows you to set different loading time per missile tube, as well as to configure which missile weapons are allowed to be loaded in this tube.

Not seeing it on GitHub yet. Last commit was 6b1b635 on the 21st.

• kwadroke said:

daid said:

FYI, Just pushed a patch that allows you to set different loading time per missile tube, as well as to configure which missile weapons are allowed to be loaded in this tube.

Not seeing it on GitHub yet. Last commit was 6b1b635 on the 21st.

I see it there now.

• So, fixed bugs in the tutorial. Fixed bugs in the missile tube config. And added a new missile type the "HVLI", High Velocity Lead Impactor. Simply a large piece of lead that you fire at your enemies. They fire in bursts of 5, and have no navigation computers (after all, they are a piece of lead)
  • Oh, and in the other news. The default AI now understands if a ship only has sidewards beams. And will try circling around it's target to hit it.
  • I'm almost ready for a new build now. Just added variations to some of the scenarios. (See the discussion on difficulty scaling) And made it so the variation selection only shows up when there are variations to be selected.

I finished up the tutorial. Currently it is linear going trough all the stations. But in the future I do want to add the option to jump to different areas of the tutorial (so someone can do just the "engineering" tutorial for example)

Made use of some of the new frigate models. Especially replacing the enemy Cruiser model. As that one started to look pretty much out of place compared to the rest.
  • Oh snaps!!!!! Wooooooo
  • Oh my, you've been spoiling us this week ! :)

Tested the tutorial and HVLIs, it works perfectly ! :)
  • Been playing Artemis, but I'm liking EE better and can't wait to try out the new build for windows. I don't have the know how to build it my self so I have to wait for a new build.
  • Yes, I added the hvli to the player ship :smile: I love strafing it between multiple targets firing two at a time or in succession.

Played more with the new science, it's a lot of fun. But a question, is the different colors going to have a label/explanation somewhere? Some of it is more obvious for us science nerds. But I think maybe on the database having a description would be nice. Unless it's in the toturial. I tried but it got stuck on the part launching the homing missile to the ship behind.
  • @Dr_JT , you can try @kwadroke 's automatic builds from source : bridgesim.net/discussion/157/emptyepsilon-builds :)
  • It's not in the tutorial. The lines in science do not really refer to anything specific. Other then "raw sensor data"

In the tutorial, what did you try? Did you target the ship? That's important, else the missiles do not home in and you cannot hit the target.
  • Daid. I unlocked the aiming line. And put it as close to the enemy ship as I could and fired a homing, it would just fly by, I can try again, it was targeted.
  • Odd, it should home in if you had targeted the ship...
  • I tested it yesterday and it worked fine for me. I had the ship targeted.

Don't know if there was anything saying to "get it close" to make it actually it hit the ship.
  • Okay..yeah it wasn't targeted I guess, i t worked today
  • In the other news, people are reporting success with DMX hardware on EE:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/issues/128
    And have started to write some documentation for it:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Configure-hardware.ini
  • New release is up at http://emptyepsilon.org/

So, this features:
    * A tutorial. Please give feedback on this, as it's in a rough state.
    * Enemies with different shield setups, not just front back, but also 1, 3 or even 5 shield sections.
    * Relay can link one of it's probe to science, and then science can view&scan the area around this probe.
    * Enemy ships will try to destroy your probes.
    * Whole bunch of extra functions for scenario scripting. Including the option to define communication scripts inside of the scenario. (See the "Ghost from the Past" scenario as example)
    * Scenario variations. A scenario can now define that it has different play variations. For example the Waves scenario you can select a variation that starts off harder and progresses quicker. For more experienced crews.
    * New missile weapon type. HVLI, High Velocity Lead Impactor. Fires 5 shots in a row, does not home or turn. (Only available in the player fighter ship at the moment, as well as some enemies)
    * Bunch of new 3D models for some ships.
    * New radar traces, makes scanned ships visually different on radars.
    * Allow missile tubes to be specific for certain weapons. For example the missile cruiser for the players has 2 tubes dedicated to homing missiles.
    * Raw scanner data overlay. Science can now "see" beyond it's normal radar range, if you manage to interpret this data.
    * AI ships can now use nukes and EMPs.

Naturally there are a bunch of other small tweaks and fixes.

Also, hardware DMX support has been tested on actual USB2DMX hardware. See:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/issues/128
    And:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Configure-hardware.ini
  • I've got an event this weekend, so I'll get to use this release.
  • Let me know how it goes. If you have new players, I'm really interested in knowing how they did on the tutorial. You might need to watch them when they go trough that, as not everything will be as clearly explained as it should be I think.
  • Being that it's the first time running EE up in that part of the state, it should be all new players. The tutorial should help get new players familiar with the game.
    We're doing a test night on Wednesday, I'll get feed back from experienced players too.

I do have one question, how do you exit the tutorial when it's currently running? Escape doesn't work. I have to kill the game to end it.
  • Oops, guess I forgot the exit key for the tutorial... finishing it exits it? :persevere:
    (I'll add this now)

You could use dedicated android tablets to run tutorials, while a group is playing on the main setup. As the tutorial should work fine on Android stand-alone.
  • edited February 2016
    Yes, Finishing will let you exit.

Ooh, good idea on using Android for tutorials, won't have to have extra PCs setup for new users.
  • You could even have one PC set up to let people install it on their phones if their screen is big enough to see what they're doing.
  • John Bono said:

You could even have one PC set up to let people install it on their phones if their screen is big enough to see what they're doing.

I am considering setting up a Wifi Hotspot with a captive portal using a Raspberry Pi that offers the game files for Windows & Android for download.
    That being said, I'd rather have my own hardware so I don't have to support them installing it.
  • Finally created an account here. Been writing DMX documentation with my buddy. Most likely I'll play around with HTTP API and write my findings in to wiki article.

Current DMX documentation quickly went out of date since my buddy's request got added in a couple of hours!

Anyhow, this game really needs more documentation and while I learn new stuff for our group's first playing session it's only reasonable to write my findings into wiki article.

Would it be possible to tag releases in git repo? It's a bit easier to know what is considered "stable enough to be released" and what's bleeding edge.

I started a new wiki article how to build the game from sources: https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Build-from-sources
  • Is anyone wanting to try and code in where you type in your heading and speed etc ?

For example, in helm I could hit h key to bring up a small input line, type in the heading and hit enter. Then the ship turns. I would but my coding skills are like hitting a rock against another rock.

Or does this idea sound mute? Curious to what Daid and anyone else thinks? thanks
  • Tags for the releases are up (for the latest release). There was a small issue which caused the tag not to be pushed. But I manually did that now.

I've updated the build information with linux info. As I had that laying around anyhow...
    (Documentation is not my strong point)

@Flea1 the main reason why "manual entry" for things aren't there is because we play on a touchscreen setup :-) it wouldn't be that hard to add, but it does add another button to the UI...
  • Gotcha, thank you!
  • daid said:

@Flea1 the main reason why "manual entry" for things aren't there is because we play on a touchscreen setup :-) it wouldn't be that hard to add, but it does add another button to the UI...

Why not make it work with the touch screen like the Self Destruct Codes?