[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• To be fair all I wanted was a planet XD. They don't have to have accurate gravity.

I otherwise (well I used to until Ubuntu stopped supporting it) play something called Vegastrike, it's effective a space-trading/piloting/simulator not quite space command. Their planets as I recall didn't look necessarily fake. I appreciate it's a different game entirely. I just enjoyed certain aspects of it, like how I enjoy certain aspects of sub sims (i.e Dangerous Waters) and EmptyEpsilon. It'd be nice to get the "exploration" feels going.
  • @Feralmouse, I've been tweaking a copy of the spaceObjects/asteroids.cpp & .h file and have been able to create small planets. They show up on radar, but are below the area that ships are able to go. So you can't collide with them. I need to do some more changes to make be able to target them for getting their location, as well as being able to name them. I'll see if I can get some screenshots uploaded later tonight.
  • So, the playing field is infinite, but what's the practical upper limit for how many nebula and stations and enemy ships you could have at the same time? Do objects beyond a certain distance from the player ship(s) go into a sort of idle state?
  • >.> I've added bucket loads of "stuff" myself, I can't seem to find one. I think it depends on the power of the client. (Four clients and an epic amount of spam through the GM screen...)
  • The upper limit would be when you run out of memory. Or the CPU runs down to a crawl, or the network code isn't able to update it all anymore.

But, the amount of nebulae will cause quite a bit of slowdown if you start to add a lot of them. There is no "area optimization" done on those, so for every line of sight check every nebula is checked.

Just just about anything else "area queries" are used to limit the amount of objects the game needs to seek trough.

CpuShips are one of the most expensive ones in the game (cpu wise). But, if you take the "Battlefield" scenario, it's designed to test a lot of these. I've ran test with hundreds of ships. Game really starts to slow then when you go to thousands of ships. (With about 2000 ships I get about 5fps, and the network code reports 100-200kb/s data per client)
  • By the way @daid, were you still looking to buy those Frigate models?
  • Clearly I wasn't throwing enough numbers... thousands O_o;;;
  • Yeah I remember reading some of his earlier comments about those tests and being thoroughly impressed :)
  • When I started messing around with the ship templates to change all the beams to face sideways instead of straight ahead, I notice all the radar arrows become white dots. Is the game doing something weird using beams to decide which arrow to use? I haven't made any other changes.
  • Can you provide the faulty template, please?
  • Actually, I think that problem was caused by having two copies of shipTemplates in the scripts folder, because I was trying to fix ANOTHER problem.

In the Basic scenario, anytime Relay hits the final dialogue choice, such as responding to a taunt, or choosing a waypoint (anything which would normally close the comms window), the game crashes. At first I thought it was something I did, but it happens in a clean install too, and only in Basic.
  • I take that back, it IS something I did. For some reason, changing the speed of the tug creates the above crash bug. Does the Comms script somehow relay on the shipTemplate being unchanged? I didn't change any names, or add/remove ships.
  • Thanks, I've been able to reproduce the bug : here is info in the RPT, the isChangedVector function seems to be in fault.

00616D43 0C708678 0C70E580 0028FA28 EmptyEpsilon.exe!isChangedVector [/home/daid/ee/SeriousProton/src/multiplayer.h @ 48]
    0055732B 3C823422 0068B99C 0068B1CC EmptyEpsilon.exe!update [/home/daid/ee/SeriousProton/src/multiplayer_server.cpp @ 120]
    005A3BD2 003E0001 05973104 0000000A EmptyEpsilon.exe!runMainLoop [/home/daid/ee/SeriousProton/src/engine.cpp @ 139]
    0064A536 06008FE8 00000055 00000001 EmptyEpsilon.exe!main [/home/daid/ee/EmptyEpsilon/src/main.cpp @ 230]
  • Is that a latest build from source or in a release?
    I've been changing the scripting comms interface a bit, and this could be related to that if it's only happening in source builds.
  • Fiddled a bit :
    - Bug reproducible in 14-01-16 version on windows
    - Bug seemingly non-reproducible in 05-01-16 and built from latest sources on windows. Bug fixed ?

How to reproduce bug : Change the transport template speed.
    RPT : http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=15035563076195349929
  • Also, I have the cash for ships. Actually, almost 200 dollars sitting in the account. Just very busy.

I like these:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-max-3-space-portals/674263
    and these:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/5-attack-drones-3d-max/643049
    As well.

Agree?
  • I'd actually love to start making all custom ship/station models for you, I love this project; I like it a lot more than Artemis.

Sound effects would be a better place to spend some money, I think. Good SFX are hard to find.
  • Good point. With the frigate models added, there is a good collection now.

Know a good source for payed SFX?
  • They are sexy models, I'll give you that :) We still need one or more Probe models don't we?

I've been wondering about SFX actually, what sounds are on your wish list?
  • I know someone who would love to be the default (or a secondary) ship's computer voice if that's one of the things you've wanted to add in.
  • Ships computer voice *drools*

Next I'll be asking for Voice Recognition software... (I kid...depending on programmers skillset... :) ).

May I ask, what was the design reason for not having 3dimensions? Or at least, pseudo 3d like Artemis? From the looks of Artemis you can (it appears) sail right under or over ships on a different plane. I am slightly curious as to why it's more like a naval/ship sim is all.
  • Heh arms race for Computer Voices eh? :tongue: But seriously, some voice work could be a go. As far as SFX goes I will check the licensing on some of the stuff I've collected over the years.
  • SoundSnap.com seems pretty good. More dramatic, "far away" sounding sound effects would match the tone of being on a bridge, for beams and explosions and such.

I think each missile could reasonably have a different sounding explosion. It also feels weird that there's no engine hum, maneuvering thruster hum, warp noise, and jump noise.

Definitely need 2 or 3 "spaceships crunching into each other" noises, collisions were extremely common on both games I've played so far.

Oh, shield hit and "damage hit" noises; again sounding like the room next door is exploding and collapsing.

Scanning could have a noise that gradually fades to a sine wave or "radio chatter" noise.

An "incoming hail" noise. The noise od focking clamps engaging and disengaging. Hmmm... Oh, an overheating sound effect, but something way less intrusive than Artemis.
  • Yeah I was thinking Science Scans are a prime candidate, but as you say best if it changes at least a bit responsively. Even if only a transition from RANDOM SCREECHING to PUNCTUATED THROBBING and finally HARMONIOUS TONES as they proceed with the scan. Should be relatively straightforward to calculate what "threshold" they're within for a scan I'm guessing...
  • May also want to customize the sounds for different consoles. Assuming engineering console is in engineering and helm is on the bridge for the moment. I think you'd hear overheating more on the engineering console than you would on bridge and likewise incoming hail would be louder on the bridge than it would be in engineering. (If at all).

Just a suggestion there.
  • Yes, there is tons of stuff that could be done with sounds. Currently, it's one of the least developed aspects. Most likely because I usually develop in the train with the sound off :-)

>May I ask, what was the design reason for not having 3dimensions?
    Gameplay. Getting 6 players together is tough already. So you do not want the game to be too complex. Keeping it 2D makes it easy to follow.
    (But, on this area, fighters will most likely get the ability to dive under ships at some point, stopping collision with bigger ships, as for these small ships it makes sense not to collide while doing attack runs)

As for voice recognition. I'm not a native English speaker. Making voice command tough to get working reliably. However, if you are adventurous, with the HTTP API from EE and the chrome javascript voice API you could hack this together to work.
  • I really like the 2D gameplay, because this style of sci-fi draws a lot more from Age of Sail and WW2 naval combat than, say, Kerbal Space program.

When you have something as based in reality as Kerbal, and want to have warfare, you start getting into problems like, any ship that can accelerate to interstellar speeds could also accelerate a Beanie Baby towards a planet with enough inertia to create the equivalent of many hundreds of hydrogen bombs.

In fact, I've gone through and modded all the ships to have their beams face sideways (with none forward), made their rear shields weaker than front, and changed all their AI to fighter so they swoop around.

It makes combat really dynamic and engaging, with helm having to really pay attention to staying behind enemies and keeping enemies from getting behind you, and Weapons having to continually swap to the best available target, and fire off missiles so they arc around and hit the back of enemies. I really dig the 'Age of Sail' feeling more than long range engagements with EMP->Nuke.

In fact, would it be difficult to add an AI named "Broadside" that tries to get behind its target, at 90 degrees?
  • Congratulations Trevor. You've made EE into Guns of Icarus. :p
  • For the probe, there is a nice SolCommand free model, but it's currently untextured. If someone with the necessary skills could texture it, it would be awesome :)

Image : https://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y3pcm4452I2cXJlzXRftgtei6AeFyy8lFqDPxP5w4AObKuldb5O9vFwxoVZwhRrK3I087X_GqnHEI76ktwb47_NmHxFOQJw-lfOLxJhQn1yasU/communication_satelite.jpg?psid=1

Model : https://onedrive.live.com/?id=5D0715049236D05B!517&cid=5D0715049236D05B#id=5D0715049236D05B!585&cid=5D0715049236D05B

Or maybe buy a low-poly model from TurboSquid : http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/mars-1-3ds/773037

For vocal recognition, it's seems to be largely overkill in this stage of development and may be better suited, as daid mentionned, as an external project. (a personal computer assistant for the captain would be awesome ^^)
  • Funny enough @TrevorHillHand I was just wondering yesterday about whether I could create a unique points of origin for the beams, for example a large ship with beams spaced along the flank as you would see broadside cannons.

Is that the sort of thing you've done? Or is the origin of the arc still based in the middle of the ship?