[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• >Is that the sort of thing you've done? Or is the origin of the arc still based in the middle of the ship?
    It's based on the position on the model. See the battlestation as example.

>In fact, would it be difficult to add an AI named "Broadside" that tries to get behind its target, at 90 degrees?
    It's not that hard. But it would be even better to have the default AI detect that it does not have front weapons and thus flank instead of front attack.
  • Would have to be combined with the AI making an attempt to shoot at whichever side has the weakest shields. Or does it do that already?

Oh, actually that reminds me of another question I ahd. If you give a player ship more than 2 shield sections, how does it decide which ones are 'Front' and which ones are 'Back', for power and damage control?
  • Would have to be combined with the AI making an attempt to shoot at whichever side has the weakest shields. Or does it do that already?

Nah, it shoots at whatever direction it wants right now. Not taking priority.

Oh, actually that reminds me of another question I ahd. If you give a player ship more than 2 shield sections, how does it decide which ones are 'Front' and which ones are 'Back', for power and damage control?

The one at the very front is using the front system, everything else is using the back system. Officially more then 2 shields for player ships isn't supported yet. Using 3 shields gives ok results (as you have 2 in the back).
  • Is there anything that can work as impassable terrain besides black holes? Would it be possible to add "Giant" asteroids that aren't destroyed upon collision, and block ship movement? I wanted to make an attack wave map where the enemies come at you through a serpentine path, but black holes seem to be the only thing they path around without putting TONS of asteroids.
  • Not really. The AI path planning isn't perfect, and based around avoiding round objects.

"giant astroids" are more like (dwarf) planets then.
  • Oh so that's why they go straight through nebulae...
  • They have no real reason to avoid them :-)
  • If anything they should prefer being in a nebula, if they have already decided on a target and have a pretty good idea of where it is (i.e. they have seen it recently).
  • If I wanted to have a map where you're a sort of Freelancer, with the option of simplistic trading, is there a good way to display the state of custom variables to the players?

Like, it would be easy to set up trading using Comm scripting, and just stick things in a "cargo hold" script, but it seems like the only way for the players to remember what is in the hold would be to scroll back through the ship log, or even just write it down.
  • Add a 7th player: inventory manager.
  • What about storing it in the Database?
  • In my head, inventory management would be something for relay. As he would also be the one to trade the goods.
  • You guys, you are totally killing my dream of being a space bureaucrat.
  • As relay you already can.

Weapons, need more missiles? Did you fill out form 67.B-5?
  • Oh, thinking about making a very very large map reminded me of a question I had. Is there a way to auto-renter the Relay screen? I remember one of the first things I did when booting the game up for the first time was scrolling really far to see what the coordinates did for high numbers, and then couldn't find my way back to the ship.

Also, could max jump distance be made a controllable number? Either in the ship template or in the setup options?
  • Auto-center? Yeah that would be handy! Alternatively an indicator of which direction the ship is once it gets off-screen.

Also has anyone seen the new Artemis update? The fighter/carrier implementation is pretty nice. Not saying EE needs to follow suit but I reckon all the more reason to get some fighter docking back in play, even if the energy stuff still needs work :wink:
  • Why not just have fighters not get energy unless their ship is docked? Seems like they should have to recharge as much as their host ship. Being able to transfer energy back-and-forth would be neat though. Can't you adjust a carrier to have more max energy too?
  • They do need to charge from the host at present, but the reason they're not implemented is because they don't actually TAKE from the host, the energy they get just pops into existence. @daid advised he wants to fix that before putting them in which will require a fundamental re-design of the general energy system.

I agree with him, it would be good to get that working more realistically, but I also think the "Don't let perfect being the enemy of good." mantra should be applied here. There's fun to be had with fighter docking and carriers as they are, and improvements can be made down the line :smile:
  • In French, we have a similar saying : "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" (~ better is the enemy of good) and more than once, it has proven to be wise :smile:

As for the Artemis roadmap, I find it strangely similar to EE's features : a single-seat console, a GM screen... Thom has taken inspirations ? ^^

HOU5E, if I have the time, I will add a "Center on Ship" button in relay, I encountered the same problem (losing the ship).
  • Added a small change to the EE code. Which add an arrow to relay when you no longer have your own ship in range. Should help in finding yourself back.

As for fighters. Note that you can already dock smaller ships on the Battlestation. But that's really placeholder stuff. As I'm not happy with the way you set this up.
    There is also no fighter bay in EE yet.
  • (as for improved GM screen. It was the main thing I found wrong with Artemis. Next to out of sync issues, where different players saw different games)
  • After playing around with making a large, impassable asteroid by simply making a big factionless station with a ton of health and a model of a big asteroid, I think the game could really benefit from having some big impassable terrain, on top of the earlier idea of planets that sit below the playing field. They should block sensors like nebulae, too. Sneaking around in big asteroid clusters would feel really cool.
  • @daid Oh I can't take any credit for the work done on the docking, I only stumbled on the code that someone else had already submitted. I can take all the blame for re-submitting the code without realizing the previous attempt had been knocked back though!

I've not had much time lately but I've been trying to get my head around how to get the relative heading and distance for a spaceObject.

For example say I want to send Relay a message saying "You receive a MAYDAY distress signal. The broadcast indicates that the disabled ship is at Heading/Distance from your current position."
  • By the way, I've only just been able to compile from the code for the first time in quite a while and all the new radar traces, probes getting smashed etc is looking great! The "Probe View" button seems to be broken for me but I'll raise an issue on GitHub around that.
  • What is the issue with Probe View ?

In order for Science to be able to view through a probe, Relay must select a probe and link it to Science. Once the probe is linked, the "Probe View" button is unlocked.

For heading, I've cobbled together a function that gives the heading in my "Ghost from the Past" scenario :
    function find(x_target, y_target, randomness)
    	pi = 3.14
    	x_player, y_player = player:getPosition()
    	angle = round(((random(-randomness, randomness) + 270 + 180 * math.atan2(y_player - y_target, x_player - x_target) / 3.14) % 360), 1)
    	return angle
    end
    and the required round function :
    function round(num, idp)
      local mult = 10^(idp or 0)
      return math.floor(num * mult + 0.5) / mult
    end

For distance, a standard function is present in the utility function script files, utils.lua
    Add a require and you can use the distance(obj1, obj2) function.
  • My apologies @Fouindor! I was using it incorrectly, waiting for the probes to stop, then selecting them with Relay and linking them to Science does indeed work a treat. Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Also thanks for the heading function, that's exactly what I needed!
  • ...please create something that doesn't require so much lua knowledge ._. my coding is ...well... laughable.
  • No worries, @HOU5E , it also confused our Science and Comms players :)
    While it's not

Maybe I'll add these functions to the util lua file.
  • Woops... what I meant is while it's not very intuitive, it's the only way I thought of for this system ^^
  • FYI, Just pushed a patch that allows you to set different loading time per missile tube, as well as to configure which missile weapons are allowed to be loaded in this tube.

This means you can make specific tube for just homing missiles or mines. (No ships use this new feature yet)