[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• I expect to be able to write more fluff on the ships this monday.

Me & Daid finally had some time to play the game again at the office, which also resulted in some improvement idea's for the game (as our sessions are want to do).

I'm still thinking a lot about the relay station, as it's quite boring at the moment. The linking probes is a pretty awesome mechanic, but it's not enough.
  • And the pointing to waypoints out of range also really helped for relay. Going to a sector was a whole lot easier this way and as relay felt more involved.
  • Liking the new additions.. updating my bridge set.. looks like I may be running 6 EE Bridges at GenCon..... we'll know soon.
  • Liking the new additions.. updating my bridge set.. looks like I may be running 6 EE Bridges at GenCon..... we'll know soon.

Awesome. Will definitely be up for some games there.

• Hey I just noticed the new screenshots on emptyepsilon.org which are great, though Weapons is mislabeled: "View of the helms officer's screen, which controls the ship's weapons and shields."
  • Oh wait, I forgot I can fix that myself. I'm not thinking straight lately!
  • The marvels of open source ;)
  • Engineerin on th e5/6 player bridge not displaying static on ship death.. rather seemed to be displaying weird image artifacting.
  • @daid hey i think i found something. When i go into warp my screen goes weird. It goes into 4:3 (i think) when i drop out of warp it goes back to normal? Am i the only one who has this problem? I really like the game and the new ships but i am using a old version because of this
  • I know it was discussed before, but there is a way to allow fighters to dock on the bigger ships? it can very neat.

I saw older code that allow them to dock inside a missile tube, but I don't think it is working anymore.
  • Yeah I believe Daid is reworking it, as my carrier ship doesn't work anymore either. Soon I am sure. He has done a bit of work for it already.
  • @VolgClawtooth most likely the bug where textures mess up sometimes. Which build was this?

@jkru2133 at which resolution where you playing?

There was never code that did anything with docking and tubes. But the latest code does remove the "setSizeClass" function, in favor of "setDockClasses", see the "Defense platform" ship class for an usage example.
  • I built from code on May 10th
  • @VolgClawtooth, Did you get that artifacting even after you entered a new game? I had a weird issue with the official 2016-04-30 on engineering even after restarting the client.
  • @daid

i play at 1366 x 768 but it changes really weird. it changes the ratio of the screen
  • kwadroke said:

@VolgClawtooth, Did you get that artifacting even after you entered a new game? I had a weird issue with the official 2016-04-30 on engineering even after restarting the client.

Yes. The client was restarted multiple times.. full on reboot even once.
    Fedora22 OS.

• jkru2133 said:

i play at 1366 x 768 but it changes really weird. it changes the ratio of the screen

You're not running this on a TV per chance, are you? I've seen issues with one of my TV's trying to switch resolutions during some display changes in some games. I think I was having problems with EE even.
  • edited May 2016

Yes. The client was restarted multiple times.. full on reboot even once.
    Fedora22 OS.

Ok, it wasn't just my machine then. I was having that problem with EE on WinXP running on a Gen1 x86 MacMini with a embedded Intel video card. Even did it after reboot. Ended up pulling the machine and swapping with another.

I've got a picture of the screen if it helps troubleshooting it.

• Is it possible yet to map Joystick Axes and buttons to commands or still limited to keyboard.. I have the code on another screen an d it looks like KB only still.. but am about to try and modify to inject adding Joystick functions as mappable too.
  • edited May 2016
    You can map the keys, then use joytokey or other simar program to setup the joystick. I did this with Artemis, worked great. But some reason I can't get the key binding to work on EE,
  • The keys aren't working since the rework of some of the code.
  • @Flea11 JoyToKey is a nice Windows fix, but is not a Linux solution..
  • @Flea11 JoyToKey is a nice Windows fix, but is not a Linux solution..

Oh, I am sorry! didn't realize you were on lunix. A google search I did found this:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/09/gamepad-keyboardmouse-mapping-app.html?m=1

Sadly I can not see how good it is as I am running Windows. It seems to be replacing an older program.

Hope this helps if you haven't heard of it yet,
  • @kwadroke my server(main screen) is indeed running on an tv but that functions normally its only the client that is running on my laptop screen that changes. i will look into it further but i think its only the client that changes.
  • @daid and @kwadroke i made a little video to explain what happens. sorry for the crappy phone quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwrw2Dm8Hys

• Does it also happen when you use the jump drive?
  • @daid nope only when i use warp drive. at the point of the video i didn't have a tv connected to the computer

• @daid, could it be that instead of the ship icon warping, it's causing the whole screen to warp?

@jkru2133, What kind of video card do you have in the laptop, or what model laptop is it?

Wondering if it's a driver issue.
  • The warp effect does a few things different then the other effects, so that is a hint.

If you want to prevent it, you can set "disable_shaders=1" in the options.ini, this will disable 3D rendering as well as the effect rendering of warp/jump. Not ideal, but workable.
  • (I will take a look if I can find the possible cause)