[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• I'll third the aim lock. It is quite confusing until you figure it out and even then it's confusing when a ship is or is not locked or even when you have to lock a ship. Do I have to lock a ship for beams? Do I get the crap beat out of me by a ship not locked? Do I only have to lock for missiles.
  • edited April 2016
    Just pulled the latest build and it is very nice. I have modified a lot of the icons with colors so I have to figure out the newest, but I must say this is coming along very nicely.
  • John, I don't see how you mean, I will take a look tonight. I assume that the target over the ship is it regardless in how the aiming line is, or is word lock confusing? I'm just trying to understand everyone.
  • Sorry, JT, not John...
    Dr_JT said:

I'll third the aim lock. It is quite confusing until you figure it out and even then it's confusing when a ship is or is not locked or even when you have to lock a ship. Do I have to lock a ship for beams? Do I get the crap beat out of me by a ship not locked? Do I only have to lock for missiles.

• https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/commit/3a086488850006a671019504f6a516d07ff8da05

Large commit. But basics are:
    * On weapons, missiles now auto-aim towards your target when the lock button is enabled (default behavior)
    * Missile projections are only displayed when a tube is loaded.
    * Tubes can have different directions in which they fire. (Broad side tubes are an option now!)
    * Mines now fire in the tube direction instead of in reverse. So I gave the default player ships with mines a specialized tube just for mines, which is rear faced.

Still need to make it clear which tube buttons are which direction.
  • Nice and thank you! I'll see if I can get this commit running, if all goes well we are playing tomorrow at my place, could be a good time to test.
  • Be sure to grab the latest code, I just applied some more fixes. These changes touch pretty much everything to do with missiles, so there could be new bugs.

It does make it possible to have missiles with different speeds and turning radi now. (homing, nukes and EMPs are still the same, but HVLI was already twice as fast)
  • This reminds me (apologies if I already made this suggestion), it would be great if shipTemplates.lua could specify the amount of energy spent and the amount of heat generated by a given beam weapon.

This opens the door for more differentiation between ship weapons; one ship may have a single beam with a slow rate of fire but high damage, whereas another is more suited to handling fighters with a fast rate of fire but low damage output per hit. As it is if you give a ship a slow/strong beam there's no cost incurred, but a fast/weak beam chews your energy and cooks the crew :smile:
  • I'm still planning to add some ship types with broadside missile tubes. Imagine the sheer mayham of a large cruiser with 10 dumb fire missile tubes on both sides doing some nice long range spam into the general direction of the enemy.
  • nallath said:

I'm still planning to add some ship types with broadside missile tubes. Imagine the sheer mayham of a large cruiser with 10 dumb fire missile tubes on both sides doing some nice long range spam into the general direction of the enemy.

Can we plan a moment (maybe next Thursday evening?) to go over all ship models and simply re-do all ship designs? I think that's much needed after the introduction of extra models twice already and a heap of new features.
  • If you're going to re-do all the templates, I want to throw in my vote for a greater focus on broadsides. If you have no front facing weapons, battles require *constant* movement and steering, and a lot of coordination between weapons and helm, and just feels way more engaging.

Ideally for me, only fighters would have front facing weapons, but be weak enough that even they have to make quick strafing runs and then get out quickly so shields can recharge.
  • I'd like to put a idea in for the fighter bomber, I made one using the original fighter template.

I will try and get everything later this afternoon , Kwadroke's automated coding for build works pretty good.
  • @TrevorHillHand Nallath has been bugging me about that for months already. That's why I wanted to go over them with him. He has also been playing http://www.navalaction.com/ which is all about broadside guns as far as I understood from him.
    With the recent additions to the AI so it can actually use broadside lasers, I think it only makes sense to expand on this as well.
    And, Nallath has a good view on game design as well. Quite a few good improvements came out of his head. (And tons of ideas that are too much work)

@Flea11 feel free to throw ideas, don't even have to be completed templates.

I think we should even reserve room for ships that are currently not yet possible due to AI/game limitations.
  • Sure, sounds like a plan.

Naval action is amazing :D Some ships have stern / bow chasers (Shooting ahead / back), but the main focus is on broad sides. All the ships in that game require pretty good maneuving to really work and moving into blind spots can really ensure that you win. Small ships with good captains can destroy even the biggest vessel.

They ofcourse also have a lot of stuff like winds and certain ships performing better at certain angles from the wind, which would be a pretty silly game mechanic for space battles.

Another big change that i've been bugging Daid about is making stuff 2.5D, so that fighters can do "proper" attack runs (and actually fly over / under larger ships)
  • edited April 2016
    Just did one of the auto builds with the new features (off work today, Dr appt later :) )

The different tube positions are fun. The auto aiming and switching between, is good. But still need to be weary of where it may end up.
    Is the torpedo attributes hard coded or scripted? Just curious, I do not foresee changing any of this myself.

Also the new drop down menu between stations is nice, but it is a bit into the science scan button. Maybe moved the scanning ui and display down? I was quite surprised of the the new probes!!

That sailing games looks good, to bad I'm more of a undersea boat kind of guy. Do they have the turtle sub?
  • Is the torpedo attributes hard coded or scripted? Just curious, I do not foresee changing any of this myself.
    The tube locations/directions/types are scripted. See:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/blob/master/scripts/shipTemplates.lua#L29

Missiles themselves are hard-coded. (But I fixed quite a bit of that code to be more logical)
  • I made a few sketches for the missiles/torpedo inspired by the "impulse engises" icon. If they are now to be oriented, I supposed it may be of use to easily understand the direction they are facing.
    By the same way, we could use one of these new symbol for the "missile system" icon that look a little bit more Cartoonish than the other icons.

Tell me what you think...

Option A

Option B

Option C (with a differenciation for the "loaded/empty"

• edited April 2016
    Played with one of the latest builds and the missile tracking is much better. I also think the LOCK is a lot easier to understand for a new person.

I don't see why we would need an icon to tell if a tube is loaded. The tube tells you what is loaded in it. If we can now have broadsides I guess we will need a completely redesigned display to show port and starboard load outs.

Maybe something along the lines of an icon showing the direction of the tube. A drop list of what can be loaded in that tube. Selecting from the list will load the tube. If something is in the tube already, selecting a different device will unload the tube and then load the tube with the selected. Then a fire button that becomes enabled when the tube is ready to fire.

Game balance may be an issue with lots of tubes. I don't think that Honerverse style fighting with thousands of missiles fired in a broadside is the best style of play for this type of gaming.
  • Hi, I recently found empty epsilon after my brother mentioning paying Artemis just recently, I'm finding this one a bit more interesting. If I can find enough people, I'd love to play.

But on the current topic, wouldn't using more tubes in quick succession mean more heat management? If the ships are designed well, that should be a factor to prevent repeated firing of all tubes at once.

Also, I was wondering, would it be possible to have each weapon have it's own target instead of having all weapons firing on one at a time? If weapons really needs to be made more interesting, could more control over ships weapons be given to the player?
  • There are all kinds of ways to balance out the tubes. We could also increase the loading time for certain tubes. Or lower the damage of certain types of missiles.

Setting a target per weapon can be nice, except that I have no idea how the UI would work.
  • How about selecting a tube and then a target or the other way around.
  • But targeting is also used for beam weapons...

• How about selecting a target and then a tube. If no tube is selected it's just a beam target.
  • Could beam weapons have their own buttons in the interface? They don't need payload management, so shouldn't take as much space as the tube weapons. There might also need a single target all button.
  • How about a small interface based on weapon arcs, and certain ships only able to select so many targets at once? Ie a fighter can only have one, cruiser maybe two and anything bigger be like 3 or 4. So arc zones get targets selected. Would add more buttons.
    Or maybe a sequence of mouse clicks to go through the arc target zones when you are selecting the target. Say first time clicked
    Selected is front arc, the 2nd and 3rd is port and starboard respectively. This is somewhat simar idea to what I do in role-playing games (star wars etc)
    Still this would be tough as the ship rotates, or we can have target # next to a target, up to how many a ships computer can handle, and different arcs fire as the targets are entering the certain arc.
  • Do the beams only fire on target ships or is targeting just for taking out systems?
  • You can target subsystems, or hull
  • So do beams auto fire at any ship in range or do they need a target?
  • You need to target by using touch or mouse selection, then under weapon console, lower right has beam info, were you can scroll left to right between different sub systems. As well as beam frequency. Once targeted the Beams auto fire.