Touchscreen issues?

Hi, guys!

I just discovered the game a few days ago, and am working getting my bridge together. My kids and I played a couple of limited setup games last night and it was great fun :)

However, I've had a rather annoying issue with the 22" touchscreen PCs that I'm using for stations: A button can't simply be touched to activate. It requires a bit of a slide or a twist of the finger, and makes some things very difficult, such as selecting targets. Touch outside of the game works fine, and I have tried tweaking every Windows 7 touch setting that I can find. Any ideas?

I'm willing to offer up one of my songs for use in the game, if it will help to bribe the devs to fix this :)

Here's the song, on SoundCloud:

Thanks!

Comments

• I've been having the same issue with our all-in-one Windows 10 touchscreens. Sliding or clicking repeatedly on buttons seems to be the only way to toggle them. (By the way, nice song, Byteshift!)
  • Thanks!

Another gotcha I encountered on every PC was a 'Failed to open audio device' message on teh console, and subsequently no sound. I discovered that removing
    openal32.dll from the EE folder and then downloading and installing OpenAL1.1 fixed it on all my PCs. I'm sure all you guys have figured this out already, though.
  • I'm aware of the OpenAL issue.
    I've also had reports before on the touchscreen problems. Issue is, that the touch screens I have do not show this problem, so I don't know the root cause.
  • Is there any info that I can collect or anything I can do that might help you? I have six of these 22" touchscreen All-in-one PCs that I'm using. They're two-finger multitouch, if that makes any difference.
  • All the ones I have are single touch, so that could be one of the differences.

The only thing I can think off that could cause this if the "click" happens before the move of the mouse cursor. In the end, it's using the mouse interface, not a true touchscreen interface.

Related code for clicking is actually here:
    https://github.com/daid/SeriousProton/blob/master/src/input.cpp#L79
  • Hmm.. maybe a crazy idea, but what if the touchscreen code would be changed so that it detects mouse movement instead of key presses? As long as that code is only executed if touchscreen mode is active in options.ini it should'nt interfere with mouse setups.

But I have to admit, I have no idea how mouse emulation on touchscreen devices is usually done. If a touch input simulates a moving path between last and current position, that obviously won't work. But if the mouse position just "jumps", it might.

Anyways, downside of this solution would be that you could'nt change between mouse and touchscreen seamlessly. Even a mouse that is plugged in at the same time would probably cause serious problems
    So maybe instead of using the already existing touchscreen option,an extra option could be added that handles mouse movement as click?

Of course that would be rather a workaround instead of a real solution.
  • The screens I have just jump the cursor to the new location, and then fire a mouse button event.

Potentially, the cause can be found if some logging is added here:
    https://github.com/daid/SeriousProton/blob/master/src/engine.cpp#L204
    If the "elapsedTime" is logged together with mouse down/up and motion events.

(I don't have a lot of time&energy right now to set this up. We have a fresh new crew member in our house of 2.5 weeks, which uses up my spare time and sleep)
  • Congratulations! I know how that is, even though my crew has been on board for a while :)
  • I had the same issue (also Multi Touch) - but I thought it was a "Feature" as double clicking is working fine.
    I did look it up and it seems that this may be a common problem https://forums.adobe.com/thread/595473
    Is there a reason that the code uses the mouse button release event instead of a click event?
  • Is this fixed for you because it is still a problem on my Surface pro.

I think your issue is that on modern Windows touch screens when emulating mouse events the mouse click happens before the mouse position is moved (with click position embedded with the click event, which you do not reference). Double clicking works because Windows makes a click, the move, and then the second click. And the reason the click does not happen at the last mouse position is because you internally reset the mouse position (input.cpp line 93-97). Dragging works is because the old position is not reset while the click is still active.

• But I'm not responding to the event other then setting a flag. And I handle all the events before handling the flags later on. As the code is state driven instead of event driven.

Lines 93-97 shouldn't be the problem, as per default the touch_screen is false, it's only true if you set it in the options. And is used to workaround the "focus" problem that the touchscreens we have are showing.
  • daid said:

But I'm not responding to the event other then setting a flag. And I handle all the events before handling the flags later on. As the code is state driven instead of event driven.

Lines 93-97 shouldn't be the problem, as per default the touch_screen is false, it's only true if you set it in the options. And is used to workaround the "focus" problem that the touchscreens we have are showing.

Hum, okay.

Interestingly a click event created via autohotkey gets ignored as well.

I'll try playing with the code once I figure out how to successfully compile it. I was trying but kept running into errors before I found that you have a page with build instructions (no CMake instructions yet :( ) and have not tried again yet.