We tried today a game with 7 players and 1 DM. We played around 5 hours.
It was great.
Still there was a few issues and bugs :Build 2016_04_28:
- Jump should go farther and jump distance should be tweakable in the game master menu. In most scenario 50km isn't enough to go to your objective. Resulting in a slow gameplay that make players lose interest in the game.
- the "km" units also seems wierd to all players. I've heard parsecs used during the game.
Weapon : Weapon should be able to setup shields also. This station is already the one to put the shield on and it would relieve the engineer a bit.
Bug - Science cannot select a station from a probe view to know it’s position, distance and inclination with current ship. In fact science can't scan anything from the probe view...
- Players asked if there should there be frequency options for stations too ?
- According to the players, this is the station that need the most attention. It's ok, but definitely less active than the other stations. We came out with an idea to improve it : Waypoints.
- As for ships, there should be different types of waypoint ranging from different colors. Sme waypoint could be used to show sign of ennemies, others for stations, for objectives, or for different purpose described by player. the 3 first should be seen by everybody in the same faction. The number of waypoint per ship could be limited. In this way, relay players would serve as "explorers" or "advisers" for their ship and other players ship.
- Waypoint should appear in every screen, around the round map view. This way, relay would actively serve during combat an while moving between objectives, providing support and information for other stations by the use of waypoints. Quick mockup of the concept :
- Waypoint serving for many players could show information entered by the relay player. (ex : WP1 : 2 strikers and 1 base; or : Watch out, black whole!). Relay player would simply be prompted when creating the WP to add info, or if selecting it, be able to add or change info.
- That way, relay players would offer a great service to most stations, but also to 1player ships (fighters) by giving them info and directions through waypoints.
1 player ship :
- There should be an option for a large view as in relay.
- We also added a jump module on the single ship for it is lost and wont be of used in any scenario because of distance.
- The ability for a fighter to dock onto another ship is expected a lot from players.
Game master :
- a player hailing a npc ship should open a talk with the game master. Otherwise if the Npc ships are not pre-programmed in the scenario, opening comms with the npcs is one way only.
- when adding new tubes to a ship, we should also have the ability to change the tube orientation.
- we lack the ability to create ressource pod (or any quest items actually). A ressource pod with tweaking of the ressource into the pod would be great (energy, missiles, repair).
General issue :
- Bug : 2 ships on the same faction have to be docked in the same time on a station to buy from it. But will only have the option tu buy from one of them (ex: fighter options instead of cruiser options). We had to destroy the 2nd ship in order to make it work properly.
- When looking for a server, if clicking "connect" while no server is selected, the game would crash and have to be forced quitted.
- Players with less competent laptop have seen issues and their game closed a few times.
UI issues or needs:
1. Everybody asked to change the « alert » look, it takes too much place in the screen. It should only be on the side. The Relay player love to use it, but it bothered everybody else. Ruining this experience for everybody.
2. A global message that is too long appear out of the box. Global message also do not show for a very long time on the main screen... most of the time it s so short, it isn't seen by most players.
3. Ability to change ship “callsign”, the same way you can change “ship name”. Having a friendly player ship called K-PL239 does not seems right at all.
4. Bug : Probes sent by ship A appear sent by ship B
5. The ship in engineering looks crappy compared to the rest of the Ui.
That's it for now ! well probably try the game again next week.
Thanks for the quick build !