Dream Flight Adventures - v2.0 Beta Test

Some of you may have heard of Dream Flight Adventures. We're a bit different from most of the bridge sims in the market today: we make bridge sims for the educational arena (schools, museums, and community centers), and we have simulators permanently installed in several locations scattered around the US and one in Venezuela.

We're working on a big update to our simulator software, and we'd like to invite everyone in the bridge sim community to take it for a spin as part of our Beta Test.

If you're interested in playing with it, just head on over to http://dreamflightadventures.com/dfa-2-0-pre-release-testing/ for all the juicy details.

A few notes of interest:
  • Our goal is to promote critical thinking, teamwork, leadership, and problem solving by bringing epic bridge sims to students everywhere.
  • Our simulators are designed to be game-mastered by a "Flight Director" who runs the mission behind the scenes.
  • Our controls run a Local Area Network (LAN). Macs, PCs, and iOS are currently supported. Android support will follow.
  • Our controls are designed for children (elementary and middle schools, ages 8-14 are our sweet spot), but we've run missions with older youth and adults as well.
We hope you like it, and we're very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• What I see on the website looks fantastic! Unfortunately I was not yet able to get it to run on wine with linux. As you seem to use unity, will there be chances to support linux natively at some point?
  • Thanks! Actually the stuff on the website is quite old, and the new update is quite a bit better in almost every way.

I've never tested the software on Linux, but you're right, we use Unity, so I went ahead and made a Linux build for you. The download link is on the Beta Test page.

This Linux build is entirely untested (I don't have a Linux machine to test it on at the moment), so hopefully it works. I very much look forward to hearing how it runs for you.

Enjoy!
  • Wow, thank you for that fast reaction!
    It starts now, and i got to the main menu. However, I don't see the access code on the mainscreen. Not sure if it is a specific problem of the linux version, at least there are no obvious signs of a graphics glitch.
  • When you launch the Viewscreen, it will generate an Access Code, which you'll use on all the other instances/devices (Flight Director and Crew Stations)
    1. Launch the software on the Viewscreen computer and click on the Viewscreen button. This will load Training Mode.
      An access code in the format of XX-XX-XX-XX will be displayed at the top of the screen, slightly right of center.
    2. Launch the software on the Flight Director computer and click on the Flight Director button. Enter the access code displayed on the Viewscreen. Use this to control various elements of the ship and mission.
    3. Launch a third copy of the software (or use the iPad app) and click on the Crew Station button. Enter the access code displayed on the Viewscreen.
      Select the desired Crew Station from the list.
    4. Repeat Steps 2 & 3 as desired if you want to test multiple stations at once.
    Important note: Once a Crew Station has been selected on a device, the device will remember that choice and hide other Crew Station options when you reconnect later. This is to make it smooth and easy to set up Crew Stations in the simulator. However, in testing, if you want to test multiple Crew Stations on one device, when the Crew Selection button appears simply tap/click 5 times in the upper right corner of the screen. This will reveal all the Crew Station options so you can choose a different one.

The Viewscreen supports some basic keyboard controls to make testing easier:
    To fly around, hold down the + and – keys to accelerate and decelerate, respectively. Use the Arrow Keys to steer.
  • edited May 2019
    An access code in the format of XX-XX-XX-XX will be displayed at the top of the screen, slightly right of center.
    That is where I am stuck. As I said, I could not see any access code on the viewscreen (wich I meant by "mainscreen"). I heared the relaxing mynoise spaceship ambience, saw a big "Training mode enabled" in front of a nice hexagon pattern, but no access code.
    Now it is strange, I just tried it again (accidentally with network deactivated this time), and after a few seconds the screen changes and I see "access code xx-xx-xx-xx" (literally) which can't be right, especially, as x is not available on the on-screen keyboard for the access code.

I then reactivated wlan, and after a restart, I only get to the "Training mode enabled" view again.
  • Hmmm, that’s definitely broken then. There must be some network error causing things to stall during startup, because if the Viewscreen server boots up successfully you'll see the "Training Mode Enabled" screen fade away to reveal the virtual world, with the Xs in the Access Code replaced with letters in the A-P range.

Can you try launching it again (with your network active) to cause the failure to occur again, and then send me the contents of the log file that it generates? The log file will be at ~/.config/unity3d/Dream Flight Adventures/Dream Flight Adventures/Player.log. That might help me develop a solution.

Thanks!
  • edited May 2019
    I will send you the full log as PM,

but it seems that this part could be interesting:
    NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
    at System.Net.NetworkInformation.LinuxUnicastIPAddressInformation.get_DuplicateAddressDetectionState () [0x00000] in <3845a180c26b4889bc2d47593a665814>:0
    at DFA.NetworkInitHelper+<>c.b__5_3 (<>f__AnonymousType1`2[<<>h__TransparentIdentifier0>j__TPar,
    j__TPar] <>h__TransparentIdentifier1) [0x0003e] in :0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2[TSource,TResult].ToList () [0x0001b] in <1b13ba6391c74847bbc3eddc86df7eee>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) [0x0001f] in <1b13ba6391c74847bbc3eddc86df7eee>:0
    at DFA.NetworkInitHelper.GetLocalIpAddresses () [0x000b4] in :0
    at DFA.NetworkManager.GetAccessCode () [0x00000] in :0
    at DFA.LocationHeaderPanel.Populate (System.String location) [0x00022] in :0
    at DFA.ViewscreenPanelManager+d__19.MoveNext () [0x000a5] in :0
    at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00027] in :0
    Thank you, I hope this will help.
  • Thanks for your help troubleshooting this. It looks like the bug is fixed now (the download link has been updated), so anyone else on Linux can take it for a spin.