[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• edited June 2016
    daid said:

@Kwadroke the script is unfinished. This was a recent addition, so I did not test it yet.
    Wat is still left, is starting EE on the client after booting. And settings management.

I understand. Just a heads up to you and others who may want to use it.
  • Played our fully crewed mission, and loved it! We played Beacon of Light. Didn't quite make it through the whole scenario, as we had to put our Chief Security Officer (a newborn baby) to bed, and things kind of petered out after that.

Anyway, I'm wondering about the physics of blowing up ships. It seemed to take us a really long time, and we're pretty sure you have to target the hull to actually destroy the ship. Is that correct? A ship is destroyed when it hits hull value 0, yes? And when you target a system, you don't drop its hull value?
  • If you target anything but the hull, you do tiny amount of hull damage. As you are trying to disable not destroy the ship.
  • edited June 2016
    Sees there are some somewhat random issues with space stations being destroyed, but their collision refs remaining and causing ships to get hug up on the "empty" space.
    Will also post some tutorial bugs after better classification.. linux build date 2016-05-10.. so it might be fixed already
  • Tutorial weapons..
    If they fire the missile without targeting the enemy... the tutorial becomes hung requiring tutorial restart.

Tutorial engineering... users claim it doesn't have them reset power/coolant before rpairs and dialog box hides the system so repairs are unable to overcome damage rate.. resulting in what appears to be a hang (but really isn't a software hang)
  • Tutorial engineering... users claim it doesn't have them reset power/coolant before rpairs and dialog box hides the system so repairs are unable to overcome damage rate.. resulting in what appears to be a hang (but really isn't a software hang)
    You sure? The tutorial resets this itself. Repairs take quite a while (I've make repairs a bit quicker for the next version)

I cannot reproduce the weapons issue, as you have unlimited missiles at that point, and no missiles when you need to just target for beam weapons...

Did improve the tutorial code a tiny bit now, to prevent some possible rare issues.

I'm also working on a new mission. So far, the first two phases are finished. And I'm really liking it. As it's not as combat oriented as most of the missions so far.
    For example, it requires you to dock to the new "Jump carrier" to travel a large distance. And it requires you to scan an "artifact" which will update the description of this artifact. From this description you can read sensor values, that relay then has to communicate to the central command.
    I'm really trying to pull a lot of scripting tricks in this mission. For example, your ship starts docked, with 0% power in all systems. So you first have to power up and undock your ship before you can do anything.
  • daid said:

I'm also working on a new mission. So far, the first two phases are finished. And I'm really liking it. As it's not as combat oriented as most of the missions so far.
    For example, it requires you to dock to the new "Jump carrier" to travel a large distance. And it requires you to scan an "artifact" which will update the description of this artifact. From this description you can read sensor values, that relay then has to communicate to the central command.
    I'm really trying to pull a lot of scripting tricks in this mission. For example, your ship starts docked, with 0% power in all systems. So you first have to power up and undock your ship before you can do anything.

A science/exploration mission would definately be a welcome change for playing with a semi-regular crew.
  • 1. What does "Link to Science" do?
    2. Is there a way for the GM to disable an NPC ship's self-repair? I'd like to make derelict spacecraft for the players to happen upon.
  • daid said:

Tutorial engineering... users claim it doesn't have them reset power/coolant before rpairs and dialog box hides the system so repairs are unable to overcome damage rate.. resulting in what appears to be a hang (but really isn't a software hang)
    You sure? The tutorial resets this itself. Repairs take quite a while (I've make repairs a bit quicker for the next version)

I cannot reproduce the weapons issue, as you have unlimited missiles at that point, and no missiles when you need to just target for beam weapons...

Did improve the tutorial code a tiny bit now, to prevent some possible rare issues.

Hrm. sounds like I may have an old/bad tutorial version. then.. the one I have gives them 1 missile only and randomly failed to reset engineering levels.. I'll look into it more. (IE make a fresh build/install) this week.
  • 1. What does "Link to Science" do?
    2. Is there a way for the GM to disable an NPC ship's self-repair? I'd like to make derelict spacecraft for the players to happen upon.

1. You can link a probe to the science station, and then science can view&scan that area as well.
    2. Not without scripting right now. With a script you can easily keep the systems at 0 or -1 every tick.
  • daid said:

Compiling on Mac is always shit. But note that even if you get it compiled, the science and relay stations won't work properly due to a missing OpenGL extension.

I can reliably compile on OS X 10.10.5 using SFML from Homebrew. I have a functional workaround branch for Science on OS X and will PR when I finish polishing it and can test for regressions on other platforms: https://github.com/oznogon/EmptyEpsilon/tree/nebula-osx-workaround.

I don't have problems with Relay on OS X when building off either the master or workaround branches.
  • Like I quickly posted on your pull request. I don't like having conditional compiles for OSX in there. It's already quite a complex piece of code, and most likely I will need to visit it again and then I don't want to be bothered with a bunch of conditional compiles.

And, if relay is not messed up for you, then there are possibly 2 different problems on OSX depending on which hardware/OS version you have.
  • Understood. I'll maintain an OS X fork starting with the next release while I look for a better solution.
  • This is beyond my skills, so I don't really understand all the tricks deployed, but if a conditional compile is out of question, why not replace the default nebula handling with the code that works on Mac ? There seems not to be any Apple-specific code in it.
  • The Mac workaround uses older code that's probably deprecated, considering that it wasn't being used anywhere in recent releases, and it ultimately doesn't look very good.
  • Ok, thanks for the explanation and your work :)
  • oznogon said:

The Mac workaround uses older code that's probably deprecated, considering that it wasn't being used anywhere in recent releases, and it ultimately doesn't look very good.

That old code has all kinds of issues. For example the single pilot view had lots of issues. And objects near the edge of the radar could bleed to other places as well.
  • So, I'm 80% done with my latest mission script. It is also designed to test a few features in the code.

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED ABOUT THE MISSION
    Rundown of the mission:
    ==Phase 1: Test ship systems.
    * Ship starts docked to the station, with 0 power in all systems.
    * Engineering has to power up all systems to 100%.
    * After that, undocking is possible.
    * After undocking, flying to the supply package to pick up missiles.
    * Then test the jump drive to jump towards the weapons testing area.
    * At the weapons testing area, science needs to scan two dummy ships before they can be destroyed.
    * Destroy the two dummy ships, one can only be destroyed with missile weapons.
    * Have relay open communications to the station for the next objective.
    ==Phase 2: Discovery
    * You first mission will be to investigate a strange signal from a nebula.
    * As the nebula is in the outer space regions, you'll have you use a jump carrier.
    * The jump carrier delivers you to the edge of a nebulea cloud. There are a few kraylor ships here for you to fight.
    * The objective is to find an artifact within the nebulea, and scan it. This is a tough scan (lvl3)
    * In these nebulea, you can also encounter ghost ships. Which are just lost single ships. As well as two "dud" artefacts that are not the source of the signal.
    * When you scan the proper artifact, it gives you 4 readings in the description. Relay needs to pass these readings to the JC-88 or Shipyard before the mission continues.
    * When this is done, the artifact becomes unstable, and becomes a wormhole that sucks in the player.
    ==Phase 3: Lost in enemy space...
    * After the wormhole, the player finds himself in Kraylor space.
    * There are warp jammers blocking you from jumping away. And these jammers are well defended. You'll need to navigate or fight you way out of this.
    * I highly recommend navigating. Really. There is some code in place that makes all enemies attack if you engage the jammers.
    * JC88 will be waiting for you outside of the defense line. He will take you back to the shipyard.
    * At the shipyard you will hand in your data, and get your new objective.
    ==Phase 4: Nice transport you have there, would be bad if something would happen to it...
    * At this point a transport will be created and flying around the forwards stations of the Kraylor defense line.
    * Your task is to destroy this transport and secure it's cargo.
    * Engaging it at one of the stations will call the whole Kraylor fleet on your ass. So engage the transport between stations.
    * Attacking it between stations will still call a taskforce on your ass, so you need to make haste to secure the cargo and get out of there.
    * Docking with JC88 will get you out of there.
    ==Phase 5:...
    DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED ABOUT THE MISSION
  • It seems to be a very nice scenario!
    With a bit of tutorial at the begining. I also like the need to power each station. I imagine one of startrek captain's quote, preparing the ship to launch in deep space for mysterious discoveries. Even so, maybe it should be the staring parameters for every game ! I see the game also use ship-to-ship docking ? I look foward to try this !

When do you think you'll be able to release it ?
  • edited June 2016
    Sounds like a good shakedown cruise. Do the Phases get more difficult as the game progresses? If not, maybe randomize the next Phase after Phase 1 to make replay value a bit higher. Unless it's part of an overall story.
  • When do you think you'll be able to release it ?

Putting the final pieces in place for the finale, and then I need to test that part. Already tested everything up to the end of phase 4.
  • Did a build yesterday, but that one contains two bugs, of which one is causing crashes. So doing a new one today.
  • When today's build goes up, I'll have a compatible OS X build with the radar workaround ready to post.
  • These are very nice updates guys !

Little question here :
    Since we are to play with a lot of client, if we have a crash, is there any way we could provide you with useful info ? Crash log or an app that save a crashlog ?

Anything you can think of that could help you actually :)

---

Beginning the setup of the cantina:
  • Wow! That photo's gorgeous.

The Windows releases dump a crash report named EmptyEpsilon.RPT into the same directory as EmptyEpsilon.exe. Linux typically dumps errors to the console, and OS X dumps its own crash report into ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.
  • edited June 2016
    The new fighters are pretty awesome! Good job

Edit. Last night I was playing (but haven't had a chance to test it further) but a music track of my own in combat folder kept repeating, about 3 times. I'll see if I can repeat it .
  • I'm thoroughly enjoying this game. We ran a four-man ship, both with and without a GM, tonight, and it was great fun. I sent you some money because I <3 you.

I know you're working on an Intercept Comms button, but consider this my +1 in support of that.

Other things on my dreamy wishlist would be:
    - "Internal Comms" for the weapons station. This would just open up a text window with the GM and would allow for more open-ended mission design. They could reroute the deflector dish, load the package onto the next probe, whatever. It would really let me cut loose with my gaming group.

-GM ability to make objects scannable and to make text on the fly for what a scan would reveal.

This game is fantastic, daid. Keep up the good work.
  • And here I see Intercept Comms is already implemented, and I just needed to update.

Good form.
  • Final post, then I'll go do something else: Is it possible to fire beam weapons at independent/allied ships?