[Game] Dream Flight Adventures

Hey everyone, Dream Flight Adventures is a commercial bridge sim geared toward educational institutions, but we've recently launched a Home Edition, which is freely available for bridge sim hobbyists everywhere. Feel free to check it out at: http://dreamflightadventures.com/resources/simulator-software/

Key highlights include:

• 32 unique crew stations (choose any 4 at a time with the Home Edition)
  • Library of about a dozen built-in missions, plus tools to create your own
  • Fully realized 3D world with AI characters
  • Dozens of interactive environments (outer space, moons, planetary terrains, oceans, rivers, deserts, and more)
  • Powerful Flight Director tools
  • Runs on Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android devices

One of our newest users wrote up a great article comparing DFA with Artemis: https://www.ltebridge.com/dream-flight-adventures-first-look/

Feel free to take it for a spin, and please let me know what you think, either here or on our Discord chat: https://discord.gg/TksNHCh

Happy travels!

Comments

• Cool stuff. There was a topic about your simulator before, but information was a bit thin. The freely available version is really nice to show for people. So it is a bit like Thorum in that regard, that is requires a game master to pull the ropes behind the scenes?

I really like the artwork I see on https://www.ltebridge.com/dream-flight-adventures-first-look/ but the images I see on the main website show much less stylized screens. Also your website isn't loading very well, making it a pain to navigate.

• @daid

Cool stuff. There was a topic about your simulator before, but information was a bit thin. The freely available version is really nice to show for people. So it is a bit like Thorum in that regard, that is requires a game master to pull the ropes behind the scenes?

Pretty much. However, it has 3d environment where the crew can navigate in real time. So the flight director doesn't have to narrate the complete outside of the ship. (That said, Alex plans to introduce a persistent sandbox for thorium as well)

Speaking of wich, DFA has some pretty cool features which might be useful in other bridgesims as well.

Such a feature are the "idle-minigames". Even if the flight director has no specific work for the station, the station itself asks for attention from time to time. Like flip a certain switch or adjust a certain value. Or remove a hazard from certain ship areas. At least the former could also work for EE with custom buttons and lua functions.

Some stations, like the quartermaster are always busy (scanning a conveyer belt for dangerous cargo).

Most of the stations are completly optional. So the station only has an impact for the ship, if it is occupied.

Oh, and in regards of EE2, you might look at DFAs "reorient" feature, which resets the ship orientation to a reference plane.

• BlueShadow is correct. DFA is designed with a Flight Director behind the scenes (like Thorium) pulling the strings and storytelling. This is our bread and butter, and all of our built-in missions expect that.

However, the ship systems are all entirely automated ( the Flight Director can override as desired), so there's nothing stopping you from creating an adventure that works without a Flight Director behind the scenes. It'll lack the interactivity of being able to speak directly to aliens, of course, but you can automatically trigger written messages, AI actions, and just about everything else with the scripting tools. Again, this isn't our focus, but it's certainly available if that's what you're looking for.

And speaking of Thorium, DFA integrates with Thorium so it's possible to make a bridge sim that uses a combination of both, with DFA providing the Viewscreen, 3D virtual world, and AI.

And as BlueShadow alluded to, DFA will automate all the key actions for stations that are not present. So, if you don't have any crew members logged in as one of the maintenance stations (there are 3 different ones), the ship will automatically repair itself over time. The only real exceptions to this are the Pilot and Navigator... you'll need them in order to fly around—but all the other stations can be safely skipped without worrying about gimping the ship or crew. Feel free to play around with different combinations. Each station has a different flavor to it.

And thanks for pointing out the discrepancies between the photos on our website and the screenshots from the blog post at https://www.ltebridge.com/dream-flight-adventures-first-look/. The blog post features our newest software, which is what you'll find if you download DFA and take it for a spin. In contrast, most of the photos on our website were taken at installations using our first-generation controls, which aren't as pretty.

Also, my apologies for the poorly loading website. I'm hosted on an obsolete GoDaddy server and they are reportedly in the progress of migrating me to a decent modern machine, but it's taking a lot longer than I would have liked.