[GAME] Star Trek: Bridge Crew (Ubisoft/No longer VR only)

edited May 2018 in Other Games
Announced at E3: http://kotaku.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-puts-four-players-in-charge-of-a-1781824398
In the game, due out this fall for PlayStation VR, Rift and Vive, four players take on the role of captain, tactical officer, engineer or helm officer. Once the crew is assigned their stations they will work together to complete missions both story-focused and randomly generated. Players get to decide how to approach combat and exploration. Do they utilize the Kirk approach, or react like sensible, non-crazy people? It’s up to them.

Comments

• edited June 2016
    The official site is live ahead of the official announcement: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-GB/game/star-trek-bridge-crew/

Fall 2016, VR devices only. New starship class designed for the game, Abramsverse aesthetic, procedurally generated missions, single-player option.

• Interface screenshots from the livestream: http://imgur.com/a/8GOaD
  • Looks interesting, even though it's the Abramsverse. Hopefully there will be controls to lower the lense flair :trollface:
  • Be alert, as this could mean a crackdown on bridge simulators that use any IP from startrek in the future. (One of the reasons both EE and Artemis are not using any IP from startrek, however I know some mods are, and running those on conventions could become harder now)
  • Most BridgeSims are smart enough to do their own thing. The mods are fan made, and, aren't distributed with the games. I have rarely used the Star Trek mod for Artemis at Cons in the past. Mostly due to the mods not giving new people the same experience as they'd get at home when they get the game.
  • I haven't had a chance to listen to the audio on the video posted above yet. But what it looks like, the controls so far seem to be over simplified. I don't think BridgeSims have anything to worry about as far as loosing players. This might even have people looking for more of a Sim experience.

Strange that they got Burton and Ryan from 2 series that the Abramsverse has just about eliminated.
  • It's a demo of a Trek game that requires players to wear visors. It'd be stranger if they didn't include LeVar Burton. :)
  • edited June 2016
    oznogon said:

It's a demo of a Trek game that requires players to wear visors. It'd be stranger if they didn't include LeVar Burton. :)

You're right. Didn't think about it that way :)

And 7 of 9 was augmented with technology, so that makes sense now too.
  • Some hands-on reports started showing up a week ago: SlashGear, Road to VR, Popzara.

The SlashGear review is from someone who plays Artemis and is quite critical of it:
    You need to get everyone together in a room large enough to house 3-6 computers ... The game looks extremely dated, and is rarely updated. With a limited number of missions to run, the game can quickly become a bore if you meet regularly to play. My group has been looking for a similar game that can replace Artemis, and Star Trek: Bridge Crew looks like it could be it.
    Some other notable quotes:
    • Each crew member got a 30-second tutorial before starting the game.
    • Interfaces have multiple modes, and relies somewhat on UI elements on the main viewscreen. "I switched my interface to the Warp settings, and found the system that needed our help. I tapped on it to plot the course, and was given a launch vector, which I would need point the ship at, in order to get under way. The main viewscreen showed an outline of the vector that I needed to follow, and so I switched my interface back to the Local setting."
    • 2D navigation; no 6DoF. "On the right were controls for steering the ship on both the X and Y axes. On the left was a slider that would increase or decrease the velocity of the ship, as well as a switch for putting us in reverse."
    • Engineering controls the transporter and needs to acquire locks on life signs. "our captain first took us through a research and rescue scenario of some escape pods that we happened upon (always a good sign). Scanning the teeny vessels, we learned there were life signs aboard. “Tactical, lower shields. Engineering, beam them up on my mark. Energize,” our captain ordered us."
    • Ramming does damage.
    • Environmental factors act as mission timers. "Our ship was in bad shape, and we received a warning that sun would be exploding in 30 seconds."
    • "I lament the fact that it has to be full of good-looking people doing actiony things ... While we weren’t really afforded much else than a vertical slice of combat, I’m still holding out for the chance to do a little peaceful exploring and inter-species negotiations to further peace in Federation space."
    • "solo play, a mission style that uses bots to fill the roles of the other crew members"
    • More confirmation of random missions.
    • "Bridge Crew requires deliberate teamwork and communication where actions are best done in an organized manner"
    • "the controls mostly involving sliding a cursor or pulling a (virtual) lever to move the ship"
  • edited June 2016
    EE is better :-p
  • Flea11 said:

No. It's different.

It's better and worse in different areas.
  • daid said:

Flea11 said:

No. It's different.

It's better and worse in different areas.
    Oh, indeed! I was being a bit silly. I'm still not sold on the vr myself, though the motion capture may improve it.

Always improvements with EE for sure. But ubisoft has had vads and good, I see this coming out with a big bang then ubisoft is going to slowly drop it or not support it. As they do with some games.
  • If they are smart, they will provide a solid modding base so a community will support new things.

But, most likely they will not, seeing it is ubisoft. More likely they will provide a base game with just the missions they provided. Which I sort of feel will be more like scripted sequences then a simulation.
  • edited June 2016
    I highly doubt the PS4 version will allow modding. I have a feeling that other versions won't allow mods either.
    If anything they'll do DLC if the game is profitable enough for them.
  • Speaking as someone experienced in coding for VR, this will sadly fail. The interface is over simplified due to the need to control it via virtual hands. While plays can get use to it over time, it will cause more frustration than enjoyment.

And since the control system is simple, there is less to do, and players will quickly become bored.
  • It will likely provide a short burst of 'WOW', but as kwadroke has said we can hope it pushes people to want more and look to other simulators.
  • I'm quite interested in how complex their procedural missions are, and how complex the bot interactions will be. Pulsar's bots are a mixed bag.
  • daid said:

If they are smart, they will provide a solid modding base so a community will support new things.

But, most likely they will not, seeing it is ubisoft. More likely they will provide a base game with just the missions they provided. Which I sort of feel will be more like scripted sequences then a simulation.

After watching the video and reading reviews it looks very scripted. Though I'd love to see teleporting scripts in ee
  • oznogon said:

I'm quite interested in how complex their procedural missions are, and how complex the bot interactions will be. Pulsar's bots are a mixed bag.

Is pulsar worth getting? It looks pretty cool!
  • oznogon said:

I'm quite interested in how complex their procedural missions are, and how complex the bot interactions will be. Pulsar's bots are a mixed bag.

Yeah that's what we are gunning for with our mission system. Deep missions with branching logic and core player decisions that affect the outcome.
  • edited June 2016
    Flea11 said:

Is pulsar worth getting? It looks pretty cool!

It's still rough. Open play is riddled with really, really bad trolls, and away missions have a really long way to go.

But when you have a decent crew and some experience, and when a mission clicks, it's great. If this Star Trek game had the scope and ambition of Pulsar, I'd be a lot more excited.
  • Pulsar is pretty cool, just had a guy run me through a lot of items, I'm impressed.
  • From what I'm hearing, the game has been delayed until March. Will post links later.
  • Now that it's out, has anyone tried it?
  • Pretty thorough review and real-time playthrough video with a random online crew over at Kotaku.

https://youtu.be/CjZsI695c7s
  • Finally got Bridge Crew last night via Steam. Currently playing though the Single Player/Tutorial missions.
  • ST:Bridge Crew is now available for players without a VR Headset.

http://www.startrek.com/article/bridge-crew-now-available-for-non-vr-players