3D printed Props

edited August 2013 in Props
If you have access to a 3D printer, you may want to check out Thingiverse for communications, badges and other Star Trek Props. For example: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/basic?q=star%20trek

There's more than these available at Thingiverse, just do a search for your favorite prop. It might be there.

Comments

• Frickin' Starfuries!

I really need to get me one of these new-fangled replicators...
  • One of the perks at working for Ultimaker :) Free access to 3D printers.
  • "If you have access to a 3d printer... " Heh. Interesting that in addition to working on EmptyEpsilon, daid works on some other things too.
  • smcameron said:

"If you have access to a 3d printer... " Heh. Interesting that in addition to working on EmptyEpsilon, daid works on some other things too.

Meh, just a side project ;-)
  • Heh, I actually designed and modeled a whole set of BSG inspired rank pins a while back, they're currently available on Shapeways, but if anyone wants to play around with them, I could make the models available.

Admiral Rank
  • Nice BSG pins.

Played with some 3D printing myself a few hours ago at the local makerspace.

I've got some rank pins I created in OpenSCAD that I need to print out as well.
  • kwadroke said:

Nice BSG pins.

Played with some 3D printing myself a few hours ago at the local makerspace.

I've got some rank pins I created in OpenSCAD that I need to print out as well.

Nice :)
  • For the 3D model of the new EE logo. I've made a slightly different version, that has some angled areas.
    http://daid.eu/~daid/Logo.stl

I needed to print 2 at once to prevent "burning" the tip of the center arrow on this version. (With a 0.25 nozzle)
  • edited March 2016
    An easy way to make those look shiny and metallic is get some aluminum HVAC tape. It burnishes well and looks great. For example, I used it on this wooden prop sword I made last weekend. (I also hit it with some black spray paint which I then mostly knocked off with some steel wool to make it look a little more real and not quite so ridiculously shiny.)

• @smcameron, that's pretty cool. Never thought about using HVAC tape.