Social Media Single Sign On NO LONGER Required for New Accounts

edited November 2019 in News and more
Due to the large amount of spammers trying to register on the forums, I am making new registrations use Twitter, Facebook, or OpenID Single Sign-On to create new accounts. This might be only temporary as I hope to find a better way to combat spammers. (Deleted wrong post - this is a repost)

Social media NO LONGER required for account creation

Comments

• Google gave an error page. Had to use Facebook.
  • I Will look into it. There's an update to the forum software that needs to be applied. Should be able to upgrade this weekend
  • Same here. OpenID doesn't appear to offer individual, actual OpenID's any more, either - they tell you to login with Google, Flickr, et al.

I had to use my son's Facebook account to log in, which is unpleasant. 

Spam junk accounts cluttering up a forum is more unpleasant, however. Keep doing what you need to do to keep it running.
  • Google should be working now. Have been fighting with outdated information.
  • edited December 2017
    kwadroke said:

Google should be working now. Have been fighting with outdated information.

Hi Kwadroke, Im having issues posting, commenting, messaging using a google account. Seems I can only comment here? Perhaps its a permissions issue?

• @PaperPunk Give it a try now.
  • Yep you fixed it!
  • How can i create a post? I can only reply to existing discussion and would like to ask question...
  • I approved your account request, you should be able to create a new post. When.did you try last?
  • What about those of us who don't want to use any of that social media crap?
  • "OpenID" will even allow you to setup your own identity server. So social media crap required.
  • I plan on investigating more options for bot protection on the next forum software upgrade. I too am becoming disenfranchised with major social media services.
  • I appreciate kwadroke's response here, especially since he approved my account like a few minutes after I made that post.

Also, Daid: I've always rejected OpenID. I don't remember why, to be honest, just something about when it started, and I didn't like how it worked.

Over on the Armagetron forums (which are kind of a ghost town these days) we have a simple 10 posts to be able to post without approval, but the first 10 have to be approved, which require active moderators, and we haven't always been able to promise that. I still like that system, but only when there are active moderators. Once all your moderators become inactive, even if its only for a few days, the system breaks down.
  • We had that system (my account is a local one), but the moderation overhead against spam became too much of a trouble.
  • Me too I'm in favor of the none Social Media method. Additionally, wasn't Google+ shut down? That leaves us with very few reliable options. I recognize the need to stop bots and I think having admin/mod approval is a great way to go, even if it's just a timed delay on approval.

Though hopefully I reminder is sent out once our accounts are approved?
  • Guess it's not helpful I lost access to my email account huh...
  • edited August 2019
    So... I just registered using my Google account so I could talk about EmptyEpsilon, which I just discovered and am hoping to try with some pals this week. (I have previous experience with UbiSoft's Star Trek Bridge Crew and uhhh embarrassingly I never got around to buying Artemis despite interest and hearing good things...) However: My role is listed as "applicant," I can't add an avatar, I can't connect my FB or Twitter things, I can't post in the EE subforum, and I can't find any explanation of what the new account approval process involves. Would love to do some posting around here soon!

Edit: oh okay there's a registration trouble email address. welp sorry I screwed up your announcement thread, you can delete this. how embarrassing...
  • edited August 2019
    I just approved your account Blorg³.
  • To be honest. This forum software does feel a bit buggy...

And we did have a huge spam problem in the past, which is why accounts need to be approved.
  • I'm not really comfortable handing out my social media credentials to all and sundry. I assure you, though, I'm neither a bot nor a spammer. I've been playing Empty Epsilon sporadically with my gamer group (LANs are becoming less and less common, sadly) and have some questions about the newer scenarios in the last couple of releases if you wouldn't mind letting me in. :)
  • Next upgrade I plan on removing Social Media requirements.

For some reason I'm beginning to see a little bit of a LAN party revival. At least here in the US.

I just approved your account. Welcome to the forums.
  • Rogue_9 said:

I'm not really comfortable handing out my social media credentials to all and sundry.

The single-sign-on method doesn't give the credentials to the forums. Logging in is done on the facebook website (example), and facebook only tells the forums "yes, I know this person, and it's username is X". The forums never see passwords for these users. And I think email is also hidden.
  • kwadroke said:

Next upgrade I plan on removing Social Media requirements.

For some reason I'm beginning to see a little bit of a LAN party revival. At least here in the US.

I just approved your account. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks. :)
  • I'd like to point out that it is currently impossible to register for this site. I lost access to this account for some time. I tried to register an account but neither main registration system nor the Social Media sign on are currently working.

I've tried on a few devices using different internet connections. It's kinda sad to see because if this site were running correctly and easy to access/register for (even if it took a day or two to get authorized) I have no doubt it would be much more popular.
  • edited November 2019
    Thanks for letting me know.
    I will either be doing an upgrade this week or switching to a new forum software. I'm not a big fan of the way the current Vanilla forum software works, so unless the newer versions are better I'm going to switch to something else. Either way I go, I will not be adding the social media logins.
    I recently did an OS upgrade to the latest Debian Stable and can now run the latest stable PHP (although I'd like to switch to a NodeJS forum if possible).
  • Social media accounts are now longer required.

• Awesome. For some reason I have two skins of this site. On my netbook, appears as normal on another device it's a blue layout. Go figure. Hopefully if I lose access again it'll be easier to register, so many thanks.

I look forward to the upgrade. In the mean time, I'll get back to figuring out how to get back into the groove of simming (not literaturely(?) used to do that).

• I've upgraded the forums to the latest version about 30minutes or so ago. Might still do a migration to another forum software only if I can bring in data and user accounts.