EE Package for Debian 8 Jessie

Hi there, I made a binary package of EmptyEpsilon for Debian 8 (Jessie). Please note that I am not a Debian developer and barely know what I'm doing. The package works for me, but your mileage may vary. It may work on your machine, or it may eat your dog.
It's here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwe293cC9mCcQjhUU3pOWkM4aFE
Best regards,
Peer

Comments

• Hi there,

I am not an Linux Expert (not at all), but we were several time a pc short for our brigde. So I refitted an old netbook (Like 5 year old, and concepted as netook - so even then a rather slow hardware) with a new linux installation and followed the linux installation guide given by the developers. (Basically my first linux installation)

I only encountered 4 painpoints with this (and at least two of them were my own fault or stupidity):
    1st: I used a linx mint (because it was praised to be small and lightweight) - this was another linux flavor than the tutorial. [For all not fluent in Linux: Some Commands may be slightly different named - like apt-get instead of apt-install]
    2nd: I could not get Github to work (so I simply donloaded the stuff)
    3rd:To get the damn thing to compile - (missing a sudo in the end).
    4th: Getting the thing to compile so that it runs with other systems - thankfully the howto was explicit how to overwrite the Version Number - (but I had a typo 3 times a in the Version)

A test run with the Netbook showed is was running pretty fluent (as a client at least) - what was more than expected because before this operation it took a minute to open word from the desktop. Running it in Wine took of too much performance for this setup.

From this experience and the Documentation: The Linux is based on a nightly build. And without compiling it with the same version number your friends are using - it may and will be useless. (And changing just the Version name, well might give some interesting results if there were important changes). So I guess it would be better, if we had a look at the How-to and improve this, rather than posting binaries. ;)
    And you can recycle obviusly a lot of old hardware, to have more stations at hand.

From my problems I guess the first needs not be addressed urgently - as someone using a linux would know the commands I guess.
    The second one I would have to investigate, if the how to could e improved (maybe by a link to the github how to)
    The 3rd might have been obvious to a linux user, but the error message was cryptic and sadly did not say: You do not have write permission on root, but file not found or something like this.
    The 4th is nothing we can do about, to avoid this trouble of recompiling it might be an option to read the version from a config file - or to type more carefully.

(Compilation Guide by the developer: https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Build-from-sources).

Best regards and sorry for the long post,
    Mahagon
  • Has anyone created a Debian package for the latest Empty Epsilon (2018.11.16 as of this post)? I am able to build the code under Lubuntu on the various ancient laptops I have available, but I'd like to be able to use the package installer in the future rather than having to rebuild it each time.
  • edited December 2018
    Once you have built it, it is actually pretty easy to redistribute it. Basically, you have to replace that last "make install" command by another one. Here are two ways how it can be done.

1) directory in userspace:
    Assuming you are following this guide, so you are currently in the _build directory. Instead of the make install, just do a cp EmptyEpsilon ../ as regular user.
    So you are copying the binary into the main EE directory.
    That's it! Now you have a directory that you can copy to other computers with the same architecture (depending on how to transfer them, you might have to make the EmptyEpsilon file executable again).
    They will need sfml installed of course, most other dependencies are probably already there.
    To run, type "./EmptyEpsilon" when you are in the same directory, or launch it from your file manager.
    The game is in userspace, so if you ever want to "uninstall" it, you just would have to the remove the directory.

2) building a simple package
    For this you will need to have the package "checkinstall" installed, which should be in most repositories. So just add checkinstall to the installation part for the other required packages in the build instructions.
    Note: checkinstall provides a simple way to build packages (.deb for debian or ubuntu-based ditros), however they lack information that is provided by full fledged packages. So those packages are not not meant to be used for normal repositories. However, to quickly redistribute programs for home usage they are fine.
    Then, instead of the last "make install" step, just type checkinstall as root, then follow the instructions and menus. It will basically install it the same way as if make install was used, but aditionally creates a package and register it in your system. So if wanted, you can later uninstall it by your package manager.
  • I am following the guide you reference in point 1. When I'm done, there's the directory structure where I did the build, but there's also stuff in /usr/local/share/emptyepsilon. From your description, it sounds like I don't need to worry about this other stuff, only EmptyEpsilon that I just copied from _build to its parent directory. I just need to copy the directory and all the sub directories to the new machine and possibly install sfml on the new machine. I assume I *don't* need the _build directory as part of the stuff I'm copying
  • Note that "make package" should create a zip file with all files in it. Also debian.
  • edited February 2019
    Sorry for the late reply
    I am following the guide you reference in point 1. When I'm done, there's the directory structure where I did the build, but there's also stuff in /usr/local/share/emptyepsilon.
    That would either mean this stuff is there from a previous build, or you did not omit the "make install" step. Because way 1) only uses root permissions at the very beginning (installing dependencies). All other steps should be done as regular user, so you shouldn't even be able to write stuff in /usr/local/share.
    From your description, it sounds like I don't need to worry about this other stuff, only EmptyEpsilon that I just copied from _build to its parent directory. I just need to copy the directory and all the sub directories to the new machine and possibly install sfml on the new machine. I assume I *don't* need the _build directory as part of the stuff I'm copying
    Correct, _build is only needed during build time and can be safely deleted in the exported directory. You should also delete hidden directories like .git, as those can get pretty big. The necessary subdirectories are the same as in the windows release: packs, ressources and scripts. If you also copy "log", make sure to delete all txt files inside of it, as they can also get quite big
    And keep in mind the rule of thumb: The distro of the build system should not be newer than those on the target systems.

@daid:
    Note that "make package" should create a zip file with all files in it. Also debian.
    That did't seem to work when I tested it back in december, the only file in the created zip was script_reference.html. I might test it further at some point. Also, that method requires root access and does a normal install similar to "make install", so the files on the build system are not as easily removable as with the steps I mentioned.