[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• You can goto the GM screen to delete them. That's currently the quickest way.
  • edited September 2016
    On the music enabled for clients, which is awesome thank you very much!!

I have to have the music loaded on each client computer correct?

While it's an awesome feature, running multiple instances across my screens to test my ships, multiple different tracks starting is funny and annoying, I switched it off, but for the first few times I was wondering what the heck was wrong.
  • Ideally, every station in a LAN game would keep the music settings on default and have audio hooked up only to the device running the main viewscreen. Individual stations would probably enable music only when players are distributed, like for internet crews.

If all stations are set to default music playback, and you have only one main screen, and music is still coming from more than one station, it's a bug.
  • oznogon said:

Ideally, every station in a LAN game would keep the music settings on default and have audio hooked up only to the device running the main viewscreen. Individual stations would probably enable music only when players are distributed, like for internet crews.

If all stations are set to default music playback, and you have only one main screen, and music is still coming from more than one station, it's a bug.

I will have to see if it is a bug or not, when I disabled it on the options it did stop. I'll check tomorrow.

• Hello, I've ran a small 5-players session yesterday, using 20160902 version. Here is our feedback.

In a nutshell, the players enjoyed the session. Even if most were rookies, there was a very good coordination. However, there were major issues : some of the stations were randomly crashing. Here is the breakdown by station :

* Pilot : 2 crashes.
    * Weapons : 2 crashes too. When locked on an enemy, there was a very weird flickering of the missile direction line. Did not stopped the missiles from working but was weird. I managed to get his RPT : http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05254761292514263353. PC is on Windows 7.
    * Engineering : No crashes. Rock-solid performance. Old Windows XP PC.
    * Operations : Lots of crashes. Also had a bug where he couldn't target objects when first joining the ship. Going back to the ship select and rejoining the ship fixed the issue.
    * Server : No incidents.

I'll try to get the other player's RPTs.

As for the scenarios, I've run them first an Empty map, to explain them the different station and have them testing the ship's functions. We ran the Quick Basic 3 times : the base got obliterated the first time but our valorous crew prevailed on their second attempt. For the third attempt, we tried the advanced variation. Very good coordination.
  • For the weapons crashes, do you know what button he was clicking on? I can see it crashes in a "mouse button released" event, but it's hard to pinpoint it to a specific button/control.

I have identified an issue that might be related to this, but I rather be sure.
  • To be honest, I have no idea. I previously reported the Pilot as crashed, which is not true. I'm sending you Operations' crash log when I have it.

• I just tried the new release of the game and got a few issues/comment :

1. There is no option to create planet or moon in the Game master menu.

2. Does Hacking work on other player ? We trie hacking one playership's beam... but even if the blue "hacking" stencil was on top of the "beam" title in the weapon screen, the ship was still able to shoot it's target.

2.1 Minesweeper is alright for hacking, but lack the "flag" option. Still I guess it is quite difficult to use in the heat of a battle. It will be a huge tool in pvp combat.

3. "intercept all comms" does not seem to work properly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. First talk with another ship will prompt the chat screen on the GM screen, but not a second attempt.

---

4. For quest/story/lore purpose, what do you think of adding a new type of cargo that would simply be called "cargo" and be noted as you do for the missiles or mines. Cargo could show in the relay screen instead of the weapon screen.

5. In the code, is it possible to use planets and moons as space station in means of comms and trading ?

Thanks for the updates !
  • > Also had a bug where he couldn't target objects when first joining the ship. Going back to the ship select and rejoining the ship fixed the issue.

Fix this one. (Different workaround was placing a waypoint first)

I've also renamed the shield systems, to shield generators. So you can talk about the shields being at 50% and generators being damaged as clearly different things.

Hacking reduces effectiveness, so the system still works, but less effectively. I thought that it would be too powerful otherwise.
  • Hacking reduces effectiveness, so the system still works, but less effectively. I thought that it would be too powerful otherwise.
    How much does it impairs the ship ?
    Is there a range limit for hacking ?
    Can someone "counter-hack" ?
    What happen if someone hack an already hacked system ?

• 50% effectiveness at 100% hacked.
    No
    No
    It increases the hacking level by 50%.
  • Thank you.

I tried to play a bit with the planets. Its pretty neat.

A suggestion : it would be nice if it could be possible for artifacts, asteroids and space stations to use the "setOrbit( , )" line !

--

Also, in a sense of scale could it be possible for "stars" to appear in a farther view ? I suppose now visibility is limited to something around 10u, but since stars are huge, having the very far away seem normal. So if either they could appear out of the actual view, of if they could be a special element of the background.

On that matter, I tried a little test by adding an image of a sun over the "StarRight" background image.

wich does this :
    (you can still see the actual sun provided in the empty scenario)

Which in my sense seems to be not bad at all.

Just a thought... in order to see the "star" out of the usual fog of war, maybe it could be a way to add a star.png over the usual starss backgrounds ?

• On the note of larger stars, would making space stations bigger add any distress to the game? I may toy with the idea myself, as I would like to see some bigger stations , in perhaps the "vertical" dimension, since there isn't any travel in that direction.
  • There are still some issues with far away star/planet rendering due to the limited depth buffer. I do want to fix this in the future. But it requires some mighty tinkering.
  • In the meantime, what do you think of adding an option that would allow a "background" layer per scenario. (over the actual "stars" background)
    We could have colorful nebulae effect or distant stars in a background.
  • Control over the skybox sounds like a fun idea, but that introduces the complexity of now requiring assets on a per-scenario basis.
  • I found a dozen of planet and cloud textures (from our solar system) free of use.
    Made some tests and created a sun in planet shape, with the "planet-2" texture as clouds. Reduced a bit the atmosphere size. Putting the sun at -8000 DistanceFromMovementPlane made an incredible effect and real sense of depht.

• Any easy guides on how to import new ships? Currently playing round with this as our possible replacement for Artemis.
  • edited September 2016
    Don't think there's anything documented for adding ships.
    It's not too hard to add models. Convert your models into OBJ format with 3 textures: Normal, Glow & Specular. And rotate them 90 degrees counter-clockwise (if I remember right). There's a LUA file for the models and another for the ship layout.

The hardest part is adding rooms, weapons, scaling, etc that's done in the LUA scripts. I use the existing ones for examples.
  • Any easy guides on how to import new ships? Currently playing round with this as our possible replacement for Artemis.

If you follow Kwadroke's list and look at the other stock ships for example. It's pretty easy, besides making my own textures and glow (which I haven't had time to figure out) I have adde, 3 completely new ships, and modded stock models to create about 3. I've also just tweaked the stock ships in the shiptemplate file for fun
  • Actually there is some documentation on this at the following links on the Wiki:

https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Adding-3D-models
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Creating-Ship-Templates

Not quite complete, but can help getting started.
  • Thank you kindly
  • Ok lastly (I promise for the moment) is there a science station wiki, directly to do with how the lines round the outside work?
  • There's not an wiki extry that I can find.

Here's some comments from the source code that generates the lines:

Biological signatures amplify the red and green bands.
    Electrical signatures amplify the red and blue bands.
    Gravitational signatures amplify all bands, but especially modify the green and blue bands.

Gravitational signatures are blackholes and such
    Electrical are (probably) ships & stations
    I'm not sure if biological does anything.

Daid & oznogon can give more details
  • Now that would be useful if Biological did something.

• I've created a library of planet textures (that are free and under Creative Commons license). I've also begun a "planetTemplates" file and a function to create random star systems.

Before uploading it, I'm transforming all textures so that they are the same size and on a smaller format. I wondered if there was any preference between .png and .jpg for the game? Current planet textures are in .png but as far as I know, they use no transparency effect. png tend to be way "heavier" than jpeg for the same resolution (±1.8mo compared to 450ko). So if there is no problem with using .jpeg I'll go with that.

Afterward if you like it, I'd like to add it to the game.

--

I realized the planets appear on the GM screen, but not on the relay or science screen. Also, if you think it might be of use, I plan to make some icons for planets, stars and moons.

Thanks
  • >Normal, Illumination & Specular

You don't need the Illumination and Specular textures. You can leave them out, and it will simply not use them. The Illumination is alway 100% lit, so not effected by lighting. The Specular is sort of extra reflective.

As EE is currently using a very simple lighting model, the effect of the Specular is limited.
  • With the planet generation idea, ID like to do a ds9 worm hold between quadrants game, I know kwadroke doesn't have Dominion yet, but still would be cool to go between "systems" on a large map either wormhole of warp.
  • We're going to play EE at our next bridge meeting, I'm really looking forward to it! A few questions I have during testing of version 2016.09.02:

1. Is the ship "Flavia" supposed to have all beams and tubes pointed out the rear of the ship? That seems odd.

2. Whenever we start a server, it seems that the ship "Atlantis" is always already spawned. It didn't do this when I was testing out a previous edition (2016.06.24). "That's not a question" Oh hush.

3. The map appears to go on forever (rather than hitting an invisible wall), but surely the action is all centered around a smaller area. How many sectors from the origin can you get before you are effectively outside the play zone?
  • 1) The Flavia is a transport ship. This has some rear weapons to fend off enemies.

2) This depends on the scenario. Some scenarios spawn a player ship that you should use. (In this case, I think I should disable spawning ships by the server...) The scenario is most likely tracking that ship for some goals. In case of the simple scenarios, the only added thing is that the destruction of that ship ends the game.

3) Depends on the scenario. There is no limit to where you can travel, and with the relay station you should always be able to find your way back. It's space, it's intended t be limitless :-)