[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• Looking good. Compiled and tested.
    Guess I won't need to work on planets now :)

• Just pushed a small update on the planets, you can now setup orbits for planets as well. I think this will make them more alive if you use them as "below the moving plain" visuals.
    The "empty" scenario contains an example.
  • edited August 2016
    Will have to add orbits to the new mission I modified for @VolgClawtooth (and myself) based off of the Basic Timed mission. I'll upload it to GitHub when I update it with the new orbits. It's designed for longer play time; 55minutes, but easily changed. Games will last a minimum of 51 minutes. A new player ship is spawned if the old one is destroyed until the 55 minutes are up. It will also spawn a new wave of enemy ships if all others are destroyed until 51 minutes into the game.

I'm thinking that there needs to be some more planet & moon textures added so there's more variety. How where the existing ones created? Or were these found somewhere?

I've got some pictures of VolgClawtooth's 6 bridge setup at Gen Con this past weekend that I need to upload & post. Will try to get those up tonight. Unfortunately I forgot to get pictures of the Artemis bridges.

I'll also upload some pictures from GlitchCon from weekend before last.
  • I used http://www.texturesforplanets.com/ to generate the current textures.

I had some problems with it to generate larger texture files then 2048x1024 (and even then it did not always work)

I do have 10 of each and picked the best one.
  • edited August 2016
    That looks simply amazing ! I can't wait to test it !

Unfortunately, I'm tying up a lot of loose ends at my job (my contract expires soon) and may not be available to assemble my crew until September.

@kwadroke , I would really be interested by a "convention" mission. I know that you posted one earlier but I cannot seem to find back the link.

I don't know if it's the right place to post this, but as I will be moving around a bit, I'd like to seize the occasion and know if there is any EE events in the surroundings : Bremen in mid-September, Den Haag in early October and Aalborg mid-October. If you're hosting/planning an event, I'll be happy to participate and even help ! :)
  • edited August 2016
    Fouindor said:

@kwadroke , I would really be interested by a "convention" mission. I know that you posted one earlier but I cannot seem to find back the link.

Daid has put parts of it into Timed Basic scenario that is in the Git repo for EE. I just extended it a bit for this longer scenario.

• daid said:

Just pushed a small update on the planets, you can now setup orbits for planets as well. I think this will make them more alive if you use them as "below the moving plain" visuals.
    The "empty" scenario contains an example.

That orbit is pretty fast :) For regular use I think it should be slowed to 1/4 or at least 1/2 that speed.
  • Fouindor said:

I don't know if it's the right place to post this, but as I will be moving around a bit, I'd like to seize the occasion and know if there is any EE events in the surroundings : Bremen in mid-September, Den Haag in early October and Aalborg mid-October. If you're hosting/planning an event, I'll be happy to participate and even help ! :)

I have an event in Eindhoven the 10-11th of September. http://www.eindhovenmakerfaire.nl/?lang=en I have no shortage of helpers, but you are welcome to drop by, could be a bit far from Bremen.

Nothing for October yet.
  • edited August 2016
    kwadroke said:

Fouindor said:

Daid has put parts of it into Timed Basic scenario that is in the Git repo for EE. I just extended it a bit for this longer scenario.

I've added the 55 minute scenario to my EmptyEpsilon-scripts repository this morning over at https://github.com/kwadroke/EmptyEpsilon-scripts. Ignore/delete the scenario_20_con-basic.lua file as it's been implemented into scenario_07_quick_basic.lua in the main EE repo. I'll archive that later on. @VolgClawtooth this is the script we were talking about at Gen Con.

The reason for the 55 minutes is to give 5 minutes to move people in and out during conventions.
  • kwadroke said:

The reason for the 55 minutes is to give 5 minutes to move people in and out during conventions.

Which is why I had it at 20 minutes. 5 minutes "post talking" and 5 minutes "introducing new player to the game" gives rounds of 30 minutes.
  • For VolgClawtooth, he's running people through the tutorial beforehand so they should be more familiar with the game than someone brand new to it.
  • I pushed a new feature for relay the other day. It add the option for Relay to hack other ships. When you hack a subsystem is becomes less effective for a certain amount of time.

The hacking minigame is a simple minesweeper right now, but I want to replace that with something else in the future. This was just quick to code for me. However, first I want to know if this adds to the game of feels odd.

The hope is to give relay something more to do during combat. And "do his part" there as well.
  • I just deleted thr autobuild file on my computer...I'll have to reinstall it next week after my convention and give it a whirl. Sounds pretty cool though.
  • I'll have to remember/figure out how to play minesweeper. Played with it a little earlier today.

Interested to see what comes about with the new buttons code that was pushed up today. We may need a couple empty screens to create new consoles altogether :smiley:
  • Quick example on how to use that latest addition:

player1 = PlayerSpaceship():setFaction("Human Navy"):setTemplate("Atlantis"):setRotation(200)
        player1:addCustomButton("engineering", "CORE_DUMP", "Dump warp core", function() 
            player1:addCustomMessage("engineering", "CORE_MESSAGE", "Warp core could not be dumped")
        end)
        player1:addCustomInfo("helms", "TEST_HELMS", "Blabla helms")
        player1:addCustomInfo("weapons", "TEST_WEAPONS", "Blabla weapons")
        player1:addCustomInfo("engineering", "TEST_ENG", "Blabla engineering")
        player1:addCustomInfo("science", "TEST_SCIENCE", "Blabla science")
        player1:addCustomInfo("relay", "TEST_RELAY", "Blabla relay")

What this new feature does, for the uninformed, is it allows scenarios to add custom buttons and info and even messages to each of the crew positions.
    It's a feature Artemis kinda has (but not that well executed IMHO). And it was requested a few times.
    I think it is useful for scenarios to add specific features that go only with that scenario.
  • @daid Thanks, but it's quite far :s

I have not tested the planet update, but I've found an interesting website where the author uploads its high-res planet textures under Creative Commons (only credit is needed) : http://freebitmaps.blogspot.fr/?m=1

I'll test it later :)
  • edited August 2016
    Test code I added to a copy of the Empty Space scenario. Hopefully it could be useful for someone else
    -- Put in init
        player = PlayerSpaceship():setFaction("Human Navy"):setTemplate("Atlantis")
        player:setWarpDrive(true)
        player:addCustomButton("engineering", "CORE_DUMP", "Dump warp core", function()    
    		-- Remove Warp drive from ship ("player")
    		player:setWarpDrive(false)
    		-- Send Message
    		player:addCustomMessage("engineering", "CORE_MESSAGE", "Warp core has been dumped.")
    		player:removeCustom("CORE_DUMP")
        end)

Edit: updated with the removeCustom function.
  • The hi-res planet textures from the site I have posted seems to work fine :

If it's ok, I'll browse a bit more and select a few of them for integration in EE to add more variety.
  • Looks good.
  • Minesweeper..it's ok. But not a personal favorite. Maybe somehing more like free flow
  • Minesweeper..it's ok. But not a personal favorite. Maybe somehing more like free flow

Maybe. Not sure yet. But first I want to know if the hacking in itself adds something to the game or feels "off".

Also, just in, new asteroid models.
  • I like the hacking idea.. alas it annoyed my shipmates when I was too busy trying to keep a station alive hacking an enemies shields and missed giving them a reload of ammo.
  • edited August 2016
    Something to be aware of when modifying the factionInfo.lua script. You may need to move the setEnemy functions to the bottom of the script. I added an setEnemy function to the first faction and it caused the program to SegFault under Linux when first opening.

I was able to fix this by moving all of the setEnemy lines below the last faction in the file.

This is due to the other factions not being defined yet in the order of the script.
  • I've added some code to prevent the crash and log an error.

Note that you only have to do the setEnemy/setFriend 1 way. If A is friend of B, then B is friend of A.
    So you only have to set friend/enemy with the previously defined factions. That's what the default code is doing as well.
  • Didn't take that into consideration. I was forcing the fact.
  • Might be nice to have levels of enemies/friends.
    If the level of "dislike" is higher for one race it will attack it first over other races.
  • I see a planet in gm screen, very cool! Though the orbit is odd, will adjust for upcoming game.

The minesweeper minigame, while it is minesweeper, does feel a little scifi.

Thanks for the updated build!
  • Flea11 said:

Very selfish reason, wanted to have the same version online as I'm running next weekend on the makerfaire eindhoven.
  • daid said:

Flea11 said:

Very selfish reason, wanted to have the same version online as I'm running next weekend on the makerfaire eindhoven.
    Very good reason though!
  • Once a ship is selected in the Server scenerio screen is there a way to remove it. I don't see a way and because of a flaky mouse button I ended up with four ships in the game with what seemed like no way to remove them.