[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• Awesome!!!
  • Okay so tonight we had a few issues:
    One - We played about 45 min, and the game server crashed on my desktop (win 7, quad core 3.20 Ghz, 8 gigs ram, 4 gigs video ram, 64 bit system )
    We re tried and it crashed again, Restarted computer and ran good for a while.
    We had a client and server on same computer. We stopped that then it seemed to run better.

We did a total of three restarts to keep playing around 30-45 mins before the crash.

We were running on wifi, with a total of 7 computers. We couldn't do wire since we didn't have enough wires.
    Had a few lag issues, but it was rare.

The battlefield crashed the server every single time.

That was the only problem. I sent you two logs Daid, please look at your next time you available.

If I remember more I'll edit the post. Thanks! Everyone loved it!
  • Instead of the logs, I would need the crash report files (RPT) :-)
  • Oh crap, what is the name of it again?
  • EmptyEpsilon.RPT
  • edited July 2016
    Well it seems that I do not have a report. This is odd. It did crash. Well, it froze up, then the window to ask for wait or close program came up, then search for solutions on the net window came up, then we closed the game. Was the order of it..
  • daid said:

I changed the hotkey system, the new system makes more sense as it allows for more and better key hooks. But only the hooks for helms are written right now.

The new system will also allow for actually setting the hotkeys ingame at some point. As well as making the difference between ctrl/alt/shift.

Will these new hooks allow customization of Joystick input as well?

• Will these new hooks allow customization of Joystick input as well?

Not yet. Joystick buttons shouldn't be that hard. But stick input is "gradual" instead of boolean like buttons. Which doesn't fit the implementation that well right now.
  • Hello!
    Great game, thanks for the hard work! I have been getting some friends into it and have run a successful intro EE evening, planning on a second one this coming Saturday.

A few questions:

1. There are 8 ships to choose from when starting a server, yet there are quite a few more in the "database". How can I spawn one of those?

2. Is there a reason why there is more functionality when using the 6/5 stations as opposed to the 4/3 or 1 player setting?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Nifty
  • 1. Not all ships have player variants. The player variants are "customized" for player use. You can dive into the data files for details, everything can be customized if you want :-)

2. Yes, a few things are not available for the 4/3 player which I consider "optional" features. And the 1 player screen is mostly for fighter like ships, and thus are more limited in functionality.
  • ok we had a session last night and three users were running through the tutorial.. All three asked 'Am I doing any damage' during the Helm/Beam weapons training. The beams having to chew through 50 shields and 50 hull takes forever. I modified the tutorial line 167 adding :setShields(0,0,):setHull(20) and it took only 3 shots from the beems to finish it off (it did start to regenerate shields though, so maybe I should have used :setTemplateShields(0,0) ). Just a suggestion, but I'll be using that for GenCon to keep the Tutorial from taking forever. Next I had one player who maxed (300%) energy to all systems in step one of the engineering turorial doing so much damage to everything it wouldn't let him repair anything. I'll have to try to recreate it.... it was.. unique..

• Hello,

1. Is there a guide somewhere on how to customize the ships?

2. Will customized ships be usable with the Android version?

3. How do I access the GM screen?

Thanks!
  • zdr_nifty said:

Hello,

Hi
    zdr_nifty said:

1. Is there a guide somewhere on how to customize the ships?

I don't recall, but the lua scripts for it in the script/shipTemplates_*.lua files arew a fairly intuitive read for scripting. The GM screen is also great for tweaking ships., but doesn't yet have a save feature.
    zdr_nifty said:

2. Will customized ships be usable with the Android version?

Good question.. I don't know.. go full Linux... It's more reliable and the hardware can generally run the server...
    zdr_nifty said:

3. How do I access the GM screen?

only on the server system.. It has hooks not accessible from a client system.
    zdr_nifty said:

Thanks!

You're welcome although I know my answers are only half baked... I'm just another event runner type.. not the Code Guru.. That's Daid and Kwadroke

• 2. Will customized ships be usable with the Android version?
    Partially. Changes on ship stats only have to be done on the server. And thus will be send properly to the Android version without issues. New ships or changed "models" with different collision sizes will not work properly. New ships will crash the client that does not know about it.
  • Thanks for the quick responses!

1. How do I access the GM screen on a server?

2. If I tweak a player ship, will it replace that slot in the drop down menu in server setup?
  • 1. in the "alternative" options when you are selecting which station you'll use. It'll only show on the game hosting the server.

2. If you change it's name, yes. But you'll have to create the ship from the server menu (as you would normally do), then change it's parameters in the GM screen. You won't be able to create a playership of different model than the 8 disponible on the server screen.

Hope it's clear despite my writting !
  • Thank you, that clears things up!
  • Hello,

I just recently discovered EE and I absolutely love it. I'm currently tinkering with scripts and have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to update the descriptions of objects on the science screen if said objects already have one? Say, I use setDescription("X") on an object, and then later setDescription("Y"), but the science officer will still see X in the description (to get around it I can destroy the object and respawn it with a different description, I'm just curious if there's a better way).

2. Is it possible to add entries to the science database during gameplay?

3. I think I already know the answer to this, but can you only spawn asteroids as visuals ( VisualAsteroid() )? If so, is it possible to change the models for VisualAsteroids? It'd be lovely to add some set dressing.

I'm not a coder, so I might have missed an obvious solution in attempting to wrap my mind around this.
  • IIRC :

1. Sounds like a bug. Are you sure that the setDescription("Y") is firing in ?

2. Not for now.

3. Yup, you can spawn VisuaAsteroid. However, I don't think they can be modified for now. I know that debris were requested.
  • edited July 2016
    Fouindor said:

IIRC :
    1. Sounds like a bug. Are you sure that the setDescription("Y") is firing in ?

Okay, turns out I tried to do it like "test = SpaceStation():setDescription()", as if creating the object, instead of just "test:setDescription()". Doh. It's working as expected now.

Too bad about the others, but they're very minor issues. I think I can work around them for what I have in mind. Thank you for your reply!
  • On 3, you can use the "Artifact" object, it can be set to any model.
  • Ohh, thank you. I've been mucking about in the models script file, this is much better. Have you considered making this available off-plane, like VisualAsteroids (would be useful for large celestial bodies)? It would solve a few problems with scale and clipping.
  • edited July 2016
    Once upon a time, I was working on modifying the VisualAsteroids so we can have planets. I haven't had time to get back to that yet. Currently I'm in the peak of Convention season here (around one convention a month until February), so time to work on this is limited. There's been quite a few code updates from when I started, so I'll probably just start from scratch again.
    If things go well I'll start looking at it towards the end of August (if something else doesn't come up again)
  • Nublord said:

Ohh, thank you. I've been mucking about in the models script file, this is much better. Have you considered making this available off-plane, like VisualAsteroids (would be useful for large celestial bodies)? It would solve a few problems with scale and clipping.

I want to do some custom rendering code for planets. As I want to be able to get up real close to them. Which requires some "level of detail" rendering. But work is currently draining a lot of energy, so I haven't got around to make this yet.
    Step 1.
  • Nice ! :)
    So they are on bottom of ship ?
  • Wherever you want ;-)

Step 2.
  • Awesome!
  • edited August 2016
    Step 3.

Planet():setPosition(5000, 5000):setPlanetRadius(3000):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/planet-1.png"):setPlanetCloudTexture("planets/clouds-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereTexture("planets/atmosphere.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.2,0.2,1.0)
        Planet():setPosition(5000, 0):setPlanetRadius(1000):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/moon-1.png")
        Planet():setPosition(5000, 10000):setPlanetRadius(1000):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetAtmosphereTexture("planets/star-1.png")