Ship Classes

This discussion was created from comments split from: [GAME] EmptyEpsilon.

Comments

• https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Ship-classes <- We've started putting some of our thoughts on paper. It's very much a work in progress / mind dump. But feel free to be inspired (and give us your ideas!)
  • In an old version of Artemis, I modified one of the bases as a playable ship and called it the Battle Base. I think it's similar to the Dreadnaught.
    It had no impulse & warp; jump only. It could spin around and had beams all the way around except for 4 smaller pie shaped pieces. It could take a pounding, but wasn't all that strong in a battle.
    The plan for this was to have a place for an Admiral, several comms officers (using VOIP), a weapons/helm officer, & a engineer. The Admiral would plan out attacks and be able to observe the battle and issue orders to the fleet through the comms officers.
  • Yes, I will be posting more ships on that page as well.
  • edited April 2016
    nallath said:

https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Ship-classes <- We've started putting some of our thoughts on paper. It's very much a work in progress / mind dump. But feel free to be inspired (and give us your ideas!)</p>

Here a few ships I propose Nallath,
    (I'm not sure how to post on the github?)

Under fighters A Rocket boat = Good speed, okay maneuverability, multiple tubes (~4) for HVLI only, one laser.

Gunship, I would like to see a anti-starfighter or simple a gunship with multiple arcs, and perhaps rapid firing lasers?
    High speed, low armor, decent shielding (2 arcs), good maneuverability (for a small capital ship), no tubes, with some anti-capital weapon ability as well. (Corellian Gunship anyone?)

I'm making a fuel transport ship, will post that here.

I'd like to see a dedicated Star fighter carrier, large shield, short range defense, lots of supplies and room for fighters, but not much else.

I'd like to see a dedicated model for a research ship, though I have yet to come across a model I like.

Thank you.
  • Under fighters A Rocket boat = Good speed, okay maneuverability, multiple tubes (~4) for HVLI only, one laser.
    That many tubes and a laser would make it a small frigate, most likely the light-artillery role.

We wrote templates for a interceptor, a gunship and a bomber yesterday.
    The gunship has 3 variations.

These are all "Star fighters" class ships, which are small, light, little to no life support ships. Nimble but weak. Basically the replacements for the current fighter type.

--[[===========================================
                      Star fighters
    ===========================================--]]
    template = ShipTemplate():setName("MT52 Hornet"):setModel("WespeScoutYellow") -- Interceptor
    template:setRadarTrace("radar_fighter.png")
    template:setDescription([[The MT52 hornet is a basic intercepter found in many corners of the galaxy.
    It is easy to find spare parts of this ship. Not only because they are produced in high numbers.
    Also because they suffer high losses in combat.]])
    --                  Arc, Dir, Range, CycleTime, Dmg
    template:setBeam(0, 30, 0, 1000.0, 4.0, 4)
    template:setHull(30)
    template:setShields(30)
    template:setSpeed(120, 30, 25)
    template:setDefaultAI('fighter')

template = ShipTemplate():setName("Adder MK4"):setModel("AdlerLongRangeScoutYellow") -- Gunship
    template:setDescription([[The mark 4 Adder is a rare sight these days. Due to the high success of the mark 5 Adder, the mark 4 is often replaced.
    In general, the mark 4 is seen as the retarded version of a mark 5. And sometimes mark 4 ships are being sold as mark 5 to the careless buyer.]])
    template:setBeam(0, 35, -0, 1200, 5.0, 10.0)
    template:setBeam(1, 70, 30, 1000, 5.0, 10.0)
    template:setBeam(2, 70, -35, 1000, 5.0, 10.0)
    template:setTubes(1, 20.0)
    template:setWeaponStorage("HVLI", 8)
    template:setHull(40)
    template:setShields(30)
    template:setSpeed(80, 20, 20)

template = ShipTemplate():setName("Adder MK5"):setModel("AdlerLongRangeScoutYellow") -- Gunship
    template:setDescription([[The fifth iteration of the Adder proved to be a large success with pirates and law officers.
    ]])
    template:setBeam(0, 35, -0, 1200, 6.0, 10.0)
    template:setBeam(1, 70, 30, 1000, 6.0, 10.0)
    template:setBeam(2, 70, -35, 1000, 6.0, 10.0)
    template:setTubes(1, 15.0)
    template:setWeaponStorage("HVLI", 10)
    template:setHull(50)
    template:setShields(50)
    template:setSpeed(100, 28, 25)

template = ShipTemplate():setName("Adder MK6"):setModel("AdlerLongRangeScoutYellow") -- Gunship
    template:setDescription([[The mark 6 adder is a small upgrade compared to the highly successful mark 5 Adder.
    Due to the large success of the mark 5, the mark 6 has not seen much market penetration, as people prefer the reliable and well known mark 5.]])
    template:setBeam(0, 35, -0, 1200, 6.0, 10.0)
    template:setBeam(1, 70, 30, 1000, 6.0, 10.0)
    template:setBeam(2, 70,-35, 1000, 6.0, 10.0)
    template:setBeam(3, 35,180, 600, 6.0, 10.0)
    template:setTubes(1, 15.0)
    template:setWeaponStorage("HVLI", 10)
    template:setSpeed(100, 28, 25)

template = ShipTemplate():setName("WX-Lindworm"):setModel("LindwurmFighterYellow") --Bomber
    template:setDescription([[Not your typical lindworm.]])
    template:setTubes(3, 15.0)
    template:setWeaponStorage("HVLI", 6)
    template:setWeaponStorage("Homing", 1)
    template:setTubeDirection(1, -1):setWeaponTubeExclusiveFor(1, "HVLI")
    template:setTubeDirection(1,  1):setWeaponTubeExclusiveFor(2, "HVLI")
    template:setSpeed(60, 25, 25)

• Ah cool deal! Can't wait to see them in action!
  • Though with my bomber I added nukes, but your changes to hvli instead of homing makes a little more sense, but I'm wondering if maybe a homing with a little more kick but no large blast radius (I.e. in star wars, heavy rockets or space bombs) could add to the threat that a bomber can give?
  • Just to show what I've been doing so far:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/commit/887a953effd848a401a8aeff97877ebdc102aa61

Note that this is unfinished work, and it's not activated yet. But what I also try to do, is give each ship type some variations. For example, the "Piranha F12" is the smallest broad side artillery ship. And comes with a variation "Piranha F12.M", which trades missile weapon storage for 2 nukes.

In the "Dreadnaught" class we currently only have the "Odin". If you want your players to die, throw this one in. It's one of those crazy ideas we had. Basicly it's a station, with lots of guns strapped to it, and a jump drive. It cannot move except for with the jumpdrive. But the sheer amount of missile weapons, long range lasers, high shields, make sure it will destroy anything. We had more "Dreadnaught" ideas, but I just had to write this one down in a template.

The descriptions are placeholders, I'm not that good in writing lore. Nallath wanted to fill in those details. So I just wrote down the idea behind the ship.

The base player ship will most likely be a large frigate and small Covettes.
  • Very nice, it will add more diversity to the ship roster and make use of the unused models :)

I'll post feedback when I've played enough with the new vessels :)
  • Note that these new templates haven't been play tested at all yet.