Remote/Multiplayer

Right, so. Going against the Developers recommendations I am trying to run the game over the internet...from Europe to clients in 'Merica. Unfortunately I can't even get to testing this possibility (in order to get some uptake of the game, because lets face it, SNIS has no visibility and it should).

So, I've installed the game, it builds and works just fine using ./quickstart. However when I want to run using the multiplayer instructions it fails.

I can start 1, start 2...but 3, the SNIS_SERVER for the solar system doesn't work. I choose any of the solarsystems and press enter. The solarsystem validates (because if it doesn't validate it tells me so). It goes back to the menu to display running processes but doesn't actually do anything. No extra server pops up as is supposed to according to the image.

So even if I wanted to, at the moment I can't even play this game LAN (even if I could, I can't because no one around me is interested in bridge sims....t.t).

Comments

• Are you using snis_launcher? (I assume so, and I assume that the "1, 2, 3" you mention are from this menu:

1. Launch SNIS lobby server The lobby server allows clients to find servers There should be one lobby server total. 2. Launch SNIS multiverse server The multiverse server stores player ship data There should be one multiverse server total 3. Launch SNIS server There should be one snis server per solarsystem. There should be at least one instance of snis_server. 4. Launch SNIS client process There should be one snis client process per player plus one more per ship for the main screen. 5. Launch limited SNIS client process (no Open GL required). 6. Stop all SNIS processes 7. Stop all SNIS clients 8. Stop all SNIS servers 9. Check for asset updates 10. Enter Lobby Host IP addr (currently localhost) 0. Quit Choose [0-7]

You do not see anything after 3. snis_server has no graphics and no UI. Perhaps you are expecting to see something after 3 when you shouldn't be expecting to see anything interesting.

You will only see anything interesting after 4, launching the client.

(Or, maybe something else is going on and I'm leaping to a conclusion... since you mention validation... presumably you might have seen "FAILED BRIDGE VERIFICATION" messages?)

What snis processes are running? Normally it should look something like this:

The following SNIS processes are running: LOBBY SERVER -- scameron 9973 0.0 0.0 172948 2104 ? Ssl 18:40 0:00 ./bin/ssgl_server MULTIVERSE SERVER -- scameron 10023 0.0 0.0 180820 2340 pts/3 Sl+ 18:40 0:00 ./bin/snis_multiverse -a -l localhost -n nickname -L narnia -e default SNIS SERVER -- scameron 10108 1.0 0.1 342608 14476 pts/3 Sl+ 18:41 0:00 ./bin/snis_server -l localhost -L DEFAULT -m narnia -s default SNIS CLIENT -- scameron 10145 99.0 0.9 794132 113528 pts/3 Rl+ 18:41 0:00 ./bin/snis_client --lobbyhost localhost --fullscreen

Also, you can check the log files:

snis_lobby_log.txt snis_client_log.txt snis_server_log.txt snis_multiverse_log.txt

Perhaps there's a clue in there.
  • Also, if you run "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting snis_launcher, then if anything crashes it should leave a core file around and then "file core" will tell you which program crashed -- not that I am expecting anything to crash, though it would not be completely unheard of either.
  • edited November 2018
    I am using ./snis_launcher yes.

When it comes to 3. I type in 'polaris' without quotes and press enter. It goes back to the menu showing me the processes that are running. It does not display:

" SNIS SERVER -- scameron 10108 1.0 0.1 342608 14476 pts/3 Sl+ 18:41 0:00 ./bin/snis_server -l "

Note: copying and pasting for ease of understanding.

It just doesn't do anything. I'm expecting it to show up in the processes list, but nada. Never mind any graphics. I'll report back on the logs later.

Extra; In other words when I've finished using the snis_launcher and about to move into the main game I have the following process:

The following SNIS processes are running:
    LOBBY SERVER -- scameron 9973 0.0 0.0 172948 2104 ? Ssl 18:40 0:00 ./bin/ssgl_server
    MULTIVERSE SERVER -- scameron 10023 0.0 0.0 180820 2340 pts/3 Sl+ 18:40 0:00 ./bin/snis_multiverse -a -l localhost -n nickname -L narnia -e default
    SNIS CLIENT -- scameron 10145 99.0 0.9 794132 113528 pts/3 Rl+ 18:41 0:00 ./bin/snis_client --lobbyhost localhost --fullscreen
  • edited November 2018
    Alright, so it seems snis_server isn't starting, or is exiting for some reason, so yeah, check the logs, and run with "ulimit -c unlimited" and see if it's dumping a core file.

I opened an issue on github: https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerds-in-space/issues/172
  • edited November 2018
    It occurs to me that it could be the autowrangler code has left a lock directory in /tmp that is meant to prevent multiple snis_servers running the same solarsystem on the same machine.

Stop all SNIS processes, either from snis_launcher (menu item 6) or
    Look for a directory named /tmp/snis_server_lock.POLARIS or /tmp/snis_server_lock.*

ls -ld /tmp/snis_server_lock.*

If you find such a directory, rmdir it, then try starting things again.

I just now modified snis_launcher to detect suspicious lock directories (when no corresponding snis_server seems to be running) and warn about them.
    https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerds-in-space/commit/04f274d5295a33fde8658cb18caadcac37797e3d

You normally shouldn't see such bad lock directories, but they might come to exist if snis_server core dumps, or is killed with SIGKILL (-9). Killing it with SIGTERM (15) should be fine though.