Image files in the Science Database

Hello! For enhanced game story telling, we would like to add graphics files to the science database (maps, character bios, stellar spectrum charts etc..). It appears it's not currently supported. My students have successfully compiled from source. (They cheered!) They think they can add this feature... (Honestly, I'm not sure anyone here has that kind of Kung Fu)
It appears that SFML works with graphics... but we think adding this feature would require first changing the SeriousProton game engine and THEN Empty Epsilon... Not for the faint of heart.
Are we thinking correctly and/or what are your thoughts on the level of difficulty to adding this feature?
Thank you so much for making this incredible software!

Comments

• Actually, I don't think you need to edit the SP engine (even if you have, know that EE is the only real game that runs on it. So don't fear it too much)

But, the "GuiImage" object would solve the displaying an image in the database issue. Add a GuiImage the same way the GuiRotatingModelView is added here:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/blob/master/src/screenComponents/databaseView.cpp#L110

It won't allow you to put images inline with the description. But as soon as you want that, you end up with really complex changes, due to the text rendering being fully handled by SFML.
  • Hey thanks Daid! This is a really good start. Let’s see what my students can break with it!