T's Mods

Been working on these for the past few weeks, just got them to where I'm really happy with them.

New nebula, wormhole, and starfield graphics based on edits of NASA imagery.

New GUI inspired by the feeling of the DRADIS from Battlestar Galactica.

Available seperately:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2188428/T_GUI.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2188428/T_Starfield.zip

Extract to the 'Resources' subfolder, overwriting files.

Comments

• Ooohh, I like those nebulea. The 3th one lacks some density I think. Got a link for the nasa images source?

I also like the stars, as it looks more alive then the random noise I generated. But I think I will tone down the red a bit.
  • Don't remember the specific ones I used, but they're all from here: https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1647.html

I had to do a little processing on them so they didn't just look like printed out nebula stickers pasted onto the screen.

I felt they looked nicer and blended into each other more (especially with the layering effect you do in 3D view) when they were a little less dense.
  • @Daid can you make changes so that we can switch themes/mods? Without having to over-write?
  • I just tried the new nebular and stars, very nice! However I didn't add the gui, I like it the way it is.

Good job!
  • https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2188428/T_RadarTraces.zip

Custom radar traces! You'll have to edit shipTemplates.lua yourself, mine is too heavily modified at this point with other changes :V

Inspired by Spacers Runic, which is a set of symbols designed to be drawn entirely using straight lines in geometric patterns.
  • Awesome job on the traces ! :)
    Thank you for the set, I really like it a lot.
  • Okay. I downloaded it, but I am a bit confused on how to apply it..

They look fantastic by the way.
  • Extract the images in your resource folder, and modify your shipTemplates.lua to set custom radar traces for the ships.

for instance, the Fighter template :

template = ShipTemplate():setName("Fighter"):setModel("small_fighter_1")
    template:setBeam(0, 60, 0, 1000.0, 4.0, 4)
    template:setHull(30)
    template:setShields(30)
    template:setSpeed(120, 30, 25)
    template:setDefaultAI('fighter')

Just add after that template:setRadarTrace("radar_fighter.png")
  • If you re-download the ZIP file, there is a file in it named shipTemplates.lua that can be copied to the Scripts folder. Can't guarantee future builds will play nicely with this template script, depending on whether ships get added/changed/removed.
  • Ohhh, I like these. I think the fighter needs some different centering. But with that change I might put them in the normal version (with your permission)
  • Note, just did a quick addition to the source code. (short on time/energy to do a lot)
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/commit/745fc1c54c0bc709ce4c5771476bb54de3f43a32

If you add "mod=bla" to your options.ini file. The game will first try to load files from resources/mods/bla instead of resources. Should make modding a bit easier.
  • The idea with the fighter being off center is they all have the same "bearing indicator", an arrow at the front and two diagonal lines on the back, forming a triangle. Then for the fighter I wanted the symbol to feel smaller, so it's smushed up against the front arrow. Could maybe be done a little differently.

I'd love to have them in the main fork, though I would say they would probably all look much nicer if they could be higher resolution, and then scaled based on ship radius, like it does for Stations. Though they should probably be capped so they never get too small relative to the screen (when zooming out).
  • Thanks Trevor,
  • Added Ktlitan radar traces to the download link above.

Breaker

Destroyer

Drone

Feeder

Fighter

Queen

Scout

Worker
  • Nice!

(Note that your shipTemplate.lua file is wrong in your latest upload. It doesn't use these new icons yet. And it contains other changes, as well as uses the huge station icon for all of the stations)

Problem with scaling the icons with ship sizes is that fighters become really tiny compared to the rest. But now that we are having better icons. I will take a look at it again.
  • Those radar traces are looking good. I probably need to create one for planets.
  • For planets I was thinking it'd be cute if they had randomly generated Zodiac-like symbols, probably enclosed in a circle, obviously.
  • I think the symbols are complex enough and a person will have to play this game A LOT to be able to identify them on sight. No need to make it more complex with your BSG references.
    Seriously, I'm gonna need flashcards as is.
  • I got it working, I like it a lot!!

Will take time to know what they are from a glance but that's what science station is for!!
  • I don't think you need to learn them by hearth. It's useful as when you see a group of ships, you know which ones are of the same type, without any prior knowledge of the icons.
  • Yeah, the information the game already has is all still there. I did try to follow the general rule of the scarier a ship is, the more pointy bits the icon has.

They're all based on what the ship model looks like from top down, with a little artistic license thrown in to bring in elements that can only be seen from the front or the side.

The DRADIS from BSG is actually MUCH more abstract than this; everything is a collection of dots and lines surrounded by a white circle.
  • At the rate I play this game... that means even a tug should basically look like a 2d puffer fish...
  • I ran out of stuff that I wanted to change; what else can I do? Any suggestions or requests?
  • Better mouse cursor?
  • The current one seems fine. What would you like to change about it? Have you gotten any specific complaints when you've run it for others?
  • Trevor, a better version of my engineering suggestion? (And it would only have to be for PC since the current version works better for Android.)
    Modules that haven't been implemented yet? (Interdiction - either AOE or targeted, tractor beams, fighter bays.)
  • daid said:

Note, just did a quick addition to the source code. (short on time/energy to do a lot)
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/commit/745fc1c54c0bc709ce4c5771476bb54de3f43a32

If you add "mod=bla" to your options.ini file. The game will first try to load files from resources/mods/bla instead of resources. Should make modding a bit easier.

This does not seem to work for me.
    I created a folder mods in resources and folder blue in mods
    i.e. resources\mods\blue
    I tried with only my changes which didn't work so I copied the entire resources contents into blue and made my changes there.
    config.ini has mod=blue in it.
  • Just took a quick look at the code, looks like a final slash is missing. As a workaround you can enter "blue/" as mod name, that will most likely work.
  • The slash did the trick. Thanks.