EmptyEpsilon2

13»

Comments

• If you're taking UI suggestions for EE2, I'd love to see more flexibility in slicing up button/toggle/panel/etc. backgrounds if possible, similar to the CSS border-image property where you can define the size of each region, and whether the middle parts should stretch or repeat.
  • @Lexi, I almost have that in place. Currently it's always a bit like the "border-image: 'file' 50% fill", but I think it's better to have "33% fill", however then I need to implement the repeating texture, instead of the stretch that I do right now.

So good suggestion for improvement there :)

Note that this is defined in a different file, the theme file:
    https://github.com/daid/Mario/blob/master/resources/gui/theme/basic.theme.txt

Providing a separation between "what is put where" and "how should it be displayed". css does not have this, and it always stroke me as odd that it defined both the visual aspect as well as the layout aspect, while the layout is also partially defined by html.
  • Awesome to hear! :smiley:

Yeah over the past decade it feels like there's been a push to have CSS handle more and more of the "presentation" side while leaving HTML to just deal with the content structure and metadata. Things like CSS Grid and Flexbox's order property are probably the largest additions to that (though it's very useful for creating different layouts on smaller screen sizes).

Really love the idea of having theme files separate, that's great. I assume there may be a config option for end-users to change themes?

One minor tweak/suggestion I'd love to see by the way if possible, is having the "general" labels and the "heading" labels (i.e. the ones with custom backgrounds) have separate foreground values if possible. This isn't currently possible with EE1 (I have a WIP patch for that, but I'm not really a C++ programmer and am going to see if I can just add more UI colour options across the board, since there's a few other widgets with fixed colours too).
  • Re: CSS/HTML; In my perspective, layout and visual style are basically the same thing or at least categorically similar enough, because content should mostly be layout-agnostic.

Re: Borders and UI; I like what you're doing, very good! I definitely love the idea of having multiple themes available on the user side. Even better would be the ability to make tweaks to the theme code (maybe not the UI code) without having to recompile, would be a great way to allow designers like us to create new themes for the game at a faster pace.
  • Lexi said:

One minor tweak/suggestion I'd love to see by the way if possible, is having the "general" labels and the "heading" labels (i.e. the ones with custom backgrounds) have separate foreground values if possible. This isn't currently possible with EE1 (I have a WIP patch for that, but I'm not really a C++ programmer and am going to see if I can just add more UI colour options across the board, since there's a few other widgets with fixed colours too).

I don't have examples of it. But widgets can specify a different "theme_data" entry, which means that within the same theme, a different data set is used. Allowing for things like headers to be different. It is a bit like "class" in CSS.

No, wait, example here: https://github.com/daid/iMvaders2/blob/master/resources/gui/theme/basic.theme.txt#L45
    https://github.com/daid/iMvaders2/blob/master/resources/gui/hud.gui#L29
    Also shows how different progress bars are colored.

Internally the code also makes use of this. Text on a button is just a label with a different theme_data entry.
  • Hey @daid got a Question - Is there some form of level editor for EmptyEpsilon2? I would love to make a more complex scenarios and missions for this game :)
  • edited October 2019
    As there is no EmptyEpsilon2 yet (it's just a concept/random pieces of code on my machine) I assume you mean for EmptyEpsilon1.

In that case, it's not a full fledged mission editor, there is the mission scripting guide:
    http://daid.github.io/EmptyEpsilon/#tabs=4
    Which explains how to write the mission code.

And there is the game master screen, which allows you to create objects in the game world and modify them. And, it contains a very important feature for mission editing, and that is the "copy to clipboard" button. This puts a mission script on your clipboard ready to be pasted in a mission script with all the objects in game world at that moment. (You know, with [ctrl+v])
    That quickly allows you to setup objects in the game world without needing to visualize the positions from numbers yourself. (So this helps with the 2nd step of the mission scripting guide)
  • daid said:

As there is no EmptyEpsilon2 yet (it's just a concept/random pieces of code on my machine) I assume you mean for EmptyEpsilon1.

In that case, it's not a full fledged mission editor, there is the mission scripting guide:
    http://daid.github.io/EmptyEpsilon/#tabs=4
    Which explains how to write the mission code.

And there is the game master screen, which allows you to create objects in the game world and modify them. And, it contains a very important feature for mission editing, and that is the "copy to clipboard" button. This puts a mission script on your clipboard ready to be pasted in a mission script with all the objects in game world at that moment. (You know, with [ctrl+v])
    That quickly allows you to setup objects in the game world without needing to visualize the positions from numbers yourself. (So this helps with the 2nd step of the mission scripting guide)

Thank you :)
  • You can also open up existing scenario[...].lua files in the scripts folder to see how the existing scenarios and missions work. I often do my best learning by example