New scenario "Krepios"

Hey all.

It took me some time to bring this thing to light, but the recent rainy days motivated me to finally bring the scenario, that I have been writing over the last year, to the finishing line.

So I am here to present to you: Krepios.

It is intended to be played by 5/6 players and, preferably, a GM. But can also played with 3/4 people or even solo.

My goal with this scenario was to create an open world that is semi-randomly generated, gives you freedom to choose missions you like and comes with a narrative.
You find yourself in the Krepios System, a mining sector that has seen its golden years half a century back and is now mostly abandoned. Only few miners who are too poor or too stubborn to leave are still working for the Saiku Mining Corporation (SMC) to extract the last remaining ores from the asteroid belt. Alcoholism, Poverty and Crime are a daily occurrence.
Some of the key features are:
  • open world like, where you can pick missions to your liking
  • you start with a weak gunboat, but can upgrade it to become a decent frigate
  • trade with stations to make money or restock your weapons
  • lively universe: ships around you seem to be doing stuff and talking about it
  • randomized world: every playthrough will be slightly different
  • english and german localization
  • quality of life improvements, like a mission tracker, quick dial for Relay, presets for engineering, and lots more
  • lots of descriptions and texts. Relay will not get bored.
  • 4 slightly different endings – apart from you killing yourself
It takes about 2-3 hours to play it and it contains strong language, so it is not recommended for kids.

We have played it once in german with little RP elements. The english translation has been added afterwards and has not been played yet. So expect it to be clunky. If you want to help improving it, I would be happy.

Everything is over at Github: Give it a try if you like, and please give feedback. I consider updating it in the future and would really love to hear your impressions and ideas.

Christian.

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Played a bit solo, very nice.
    About your installation instruction: The mod call should be mod=le/, not mod=/le. And probably similar on windows (btw are you sure about the double backslash? Does windows cmd use escape sequences like this?)
    I think you should mention the version with slash first, as this is at the moment the way to use mods, until your PR would be merged.
    Also, I would mention the mod entry in options.ini, as the command line parameter would modify that file anyway, and without knowledge about that, users might get confused how to disable the mod again.
  • Also, I would mention the mod entry in options.ini, as the command line parameter would modify that file anyway, and without knowledge about that, users might get confused how to disable the mod again.
    Ups. I was not aware of that. :D Yes, it should be done in the options.ini then. I'm going to check it this evening.
  • Super excited to try this once I get some pals familiar enough with the game! Question, tho: Why the time limit?
  • Notable: The Engineering+ screen does not have the option to send technicians (like to an immobile ship for a mission) when the regular Engineering screen does. Otherwise I am quite impressed so far.
  • Hey Blorg.

Great to hear that you are giving it a try.
    Blorg³ said:

Why the time limit?

I liked to have a defined end, because I think otherwise it will get boring sooner or later. But adding a sandbox mode should be pretty easy.
    Blorg³ said:

Notable: The Engineering+ screen does not have the option to send technicians (like to an immobile ship for a mission) when the regular Engineering screen does.

I have put that on my todo list. Definitely should not be like that.
  • Update: Version 1.1

The days are getting shorter and it's time again to stay inside – a space ship that is. I have updated the scenario with more content and included the ideas from Blorg³. Amongst the new content are:
    • added sandbox mode where you have to decide yourself when the game should end. Can be activated through Scenario Variations on the scenario selection screen.
    • some transport missions have time limits now and fail if it is exceeded
    • Scan Probes have to be bought at stations (requires the latest version of EE)
    • When the Jump Drive is selected, Science can calculate jump vectors to known stations and waypoints.
    • Added the Nanobot upgrade that allows patching up the hull while flying through space
    • LE fix: CrewForRent missions can be played with engineering+ and single pilot stations too
    More details in the Changelog accompanying the relase. Go here to download.

I hope you like it. And I'm always looking forward to feedback from you.

Next up will probably be Asteroid Mining. @Triqueon added the BeamEffect to the API and I think firing your laser at an asteroid can finally look nice. :) Let's see how this works out. Alongside I might be adding more side missions with the next release.
  • Update: Version 1.2

Happy new year everyone! I found some time to prepare a new release adding a few new things:

• added the option to mine asteroids for the player
    • mining stations buy ore and plutonium ore (for a very low price)
    • new side mission to scan asteroids (sometimes a destroyed ship drops a container and the players are raided by pirates)
    • new side mission to destroy space junk
    • the "Secret Code" side mission got an english translation
    • drops of destroyed ships got more randomized. They can now also contain weapons or trading resources
    • GM can send a small Outlaw raid party to the player

More details in the Changelog accompanying the relase. Go here to download.

The update focuses on mining and gives more side missions to the mining stations. I hope this adds even more diversity and mission options to your gameplay. As always, I'm curious to hear your experience.

• Wow, nice. I will definitely be giving this a play.

Does this have any saving functionality to be able to save and comeback?

One of the things I have wanted to see in a bridge simulator is a continuous and expansive world. This is one on the things I want to make happen in Sigma Tau (a bridge sim I am working on creating).

• Oh nice. I followed the post on Sigma Tau. I'm really happy that there are still new bridge sims created out there. I think it really helps the genre.

Does this have any saving functionality to be able to save and comeback?

Unfortunately not. I briefly thought about how it could be done for a scenario, but it is all very error prone. I think your best way around this would be to run the EE server inside a virtual machine and save the VM. You would not need to bother with the clients – they synchronize with the server – but better diconnect all clients and pause the game before taking the snapshot

Wow, nice. I will definitely be giving this a play.

Please let me know what you did or did not enjoy afterwards. :D

• Hello xopn.

I have followed the instructions to modify the options.ini and unzip your file in the appropriate folder.

When I start the game it tells me the following:

INFO: Load script: model_data.lua

INFO: Load script: shipTemplates.lua

ERROR: Require: Script not found: shipTemplates_Stations.lua

ERROR: LUA: run: Require: Script not found: shipTemplates_Stations.lua

I have the version 2021.11.12 of empty epsilon in linuxmint and I use your version 1.2.2

Thanks a lot.