Introduce Yourself

Comments

• Welcome Rwolf
  • Hey guys! I joined a bit ago but never got around to posting. I'm Jonathan and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I have been a lifelong scifi fan and was devastated that Starship Captain was not an option at career day. By day I am a theatrical systems engineer (so once I get around to a DMX integration for EE, I should be pretty good at it ;) ) and by night I am a partner in a Historical European Martial Arts school. I became aware of these games around 2014 and I finally pulled the trigger about 8 months ago to run our first EE session. If you are going to work in theatre technology and own a sword school, why not abuse the resources of both to play games like this!?
  • Welcome bucci
  • My name is Lucifer, and I'm here to kick your [censored because I don't know the norms here yet, but the word rhymes with Lucifer and starts with a reference to a body part often kicked in video games].

I've been playing Empty Epsilon, as its the best open source bridge simulator, and I pretty much only play open source games. I'm one of the Evil Triumvirs of the Armagetron Advanced project, which hasn't had a new release in years, and currently working on a pure python game network library, which my son and I are going to use to write an MMO bridge simulator (we've already broken ground on it). In the meantime, I intend to contribute a few bits here and there to Empty Epsilon, because even though it's not the game we *want* to play, it is the best game in the field and therefore the closest to what we want to play that currently exists.

It's worth noting that when I release code, it's always under an OSI-certified license, so whatever comes of our work right now will be open source.
  • Hello!

I have been playing Empty Epsilon, Artemis, and I just recently found out about Quintet through this forum. Engineer is my favorite position to play on simulators.

I am working on making my own bridge. However the DMX lighting is quite expensive, so I am looking into trying to find an arduino based workaround with LED strips.

SE
  • Hello!

I have been playing Empty Epsilon, Artemis, and I just recently found out about Quintet through this forum. Engineer is my favorite position to play on simulators.

I am working on making my own bridge. However the DMX lighting is quite expensive, so I am looking into trying to find an arduino based workaround with LED strips.

SE

I have code that works on an Arduino with EE's DMX512 implementation. Implementations that you find online use a feature that doesn't work on the Arduino USB<->Serial, so I had to work around that. Could give you a copy if you want.
  • Welcome Lucifer & SpaceEngineer
  • Greetings!

I've been on this forum for a while, but am only now getting around to introducing myself. Better late than never, right?

I discovered Artemis last year. Me and my brother and many of our friends and family are Star Trek and science fiction fans. We also have access to various laptops (Mac, Linux, Windows) and devices (iOs, Android). We set up our local games with Artemis version 2.4.0 for maximum device compatibility and to get all the players into a game with the devices we had available.

A few months back, we discovered Empty Epsilon (EE). The price was right and the flexibility and power of the scripting was even better. We converted the older laptops we have to Linux and EE runs well on them. I've contributed mission and scenario scripts for Artemis and Empty Epsilon.

I regularly play Artemis online with the Terran Stellar Navy. At home, I play Empty Epsilon with friends and family over the LAN. I cannot convert an entire room into a bridge simulation and remain married, so we use folding tables and extensive imagination.

My career involves writing software, so programming comes easily. My hobbies include music, theater, role playing, martial arts, Ultimate and reading (sci fi and fantasy), so bridge simulations fit in nicely.

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I'm looking forward to the information here about the various SBS offerings available as discussed here. Thanks, kwadroke, for creating the forum.
  • Hello World Multi-verse,

I have been kicking about the forum a bit in the last few years, anonymously looking watching in fascination at the wondrous people we have here, I thought it was time I stepped up and introduced myself.

So with that I am based in the South of England; I am a server engineer, With hobbies that include Sci-Fi (all forms), Playing with Tech, Electronics, Music, you know the usual :smile:
  • Welcome, Xansta and DinoB
  • I have admired the game for quite a bit, and after Dragon Con 2018, and seeing the Artemis SBS room there, i am very much hooked on making this happen. So i am going to look into getting several systems built and then having lan parties with it, maybe doing something bigger and better down the road.
  • Welcome Freeman.
  • Hello! Just signed up after trying Artemis at GenCon this year and loving it.
  • Welcome Nigel_1fe
  • Howdy from Texas. I am not a programmer. I am a computer science enthusiast and have networked computers and hosted LAN parties for decades. I am also a big TNG fan. Love my initial try with EE and have invited friends to try with a full bridge crew. I have a movie room which I am going to use as my bridge. Trying to figure out DMX. Thanks for ya'lls help!
  • Hi,

Sabasti here also Sabasti_ if I've logged in through Google. Very much a newb to the bridge sim scene although I have played EE briefly in the past. Very much like the concept but have never really had the opportunity to get involved.

Lets just say I live somewhere quite rural and who think that being able to email each other is a fantastic revolution, beyond that few people are interested in anything else but Football Manager(?) and some FPS or other.

(Thanks Kwadroke for letting me in :smiley: )
  • Welcome kyle & Sabasti
  • Hello!

I'm new here - German, father to a family, gamer of all kinds. I have recently started to use Empty Epsilon in my Pen&Paper games in the Mass Effect Universe. Had several sessions so far with that and am totally and completely in love with this. The Game Master options are what makes this program so wonderful, and it is amazing what can be done just by some script tweaks.

That said, I have not the slightest background in programming, and yet I have managed to tweak ships, factions, planets and scenarios. Totally awesome. I'm currently working with a graphic designer to find some of the original mass effect ship designs to add, and I plan on burying this whole forum with my stupid questions.

This is an amazing game. Thanks for that!
  • Welcome Terandir
  • Hi, just signed up for the forum the other day. Got SNiS running on Fedora about a week ago. Can't quite figure out how to dock but otherwise having fun before I die from Asphyxiation lol.
  • Welcome crucible
  • crucible said:

Hi, just signed up for the forum the other day. Got SNiS running on Fedora about a week ago. Can't quite figure out how to dock but otherwise having fun before I die from Asphyxiation lol.

Heh. To dock, get close to the starbase (within 5000 units I think -- select the starbase on science, then the RANGE will show the distance), lower the shields (engineering) and turn on the docking magnets (navigation), then hail the starbase on comms (type /hail sb-00, or whichever starbase you're trying to dock with). A menu shows up on comms, select REQUEST DOCKING PERMISSION (should be 1st item). Then ram the ship into one of the docking ports.

If you request docking permission when too far away, they will tell you, or ask you to lower your shields if you forgot to, or turn on exterior lights if you have them turned off. If you forget to turn on the docking magnets, you will just pass through the starbase without docking. I should probably detect that situation and make the computer remind you about the docking magnets.

If you find yourself in a remote location and out of fuel, you can hail a starbase and request a tow ship to come get you. If you just want to cheat, you can fix your ship up on the demon screen at any time by typing "console" to toggle the console on, then "find ". Your ship should show up in the console with a number beside it (or just select your ship with left mouse button which will also print out its number on the console). Then there's a lua script "resetbridge" that you can run, e.g. if your ship number is 123, then type on the demon console "resetbridge 123". This does the same thing that docking at a starbase does -- fixes your ship up, refuels, etc. You can also toggle "safe mode" on and off on the demon screen by typing "safemode". If you're out of fuel, you will be refueled. Also if safemode is on, enemies will not begin to attack you (although if they were already attacking you, turning on safemode won't make them stop.)

Or you can just wait to respawn after asphyxiating, of course.
  • smcameron said:

crucible said:

Hi, just signed up for the forum the other day. Got SNiS running on Fedora about a week ago. Can't quite figure out how to dock but otherwise having fun before I die from Asphyxiation lol.

Heh. To dock, get close to the starbase (within 5000 units I think -- select the starbase on science, then the RANGE will show the distance), lower the shields (engineering) and turn on the docking magnets (navigation), then hail the starbase on comms (type /hail sb-00, or whichever starbase you're trying to dock with). A menu shows up on comms, select REQUEST DOCKING PERMISSION (should be 1st item). Then ram the ship into one of the docking ports.

If you request docking permission when too far away, they will tell you, or ask you to lower your shields if you forgot to, or turn on exterior lights if you have them turned off. If you forget to turn on the docking magnets, you will just pass through the starbase without docking. I should probably detect that situation and make the computer remind you about the docking magnets.

If you find yourself in a remote location and out of fuel, you can hail a starbase and request a tow ship to come get you. If you just want to cheat, you can fix your ship up on the demon screen at any time by typing "console" to toggle the console on, then "find ". Your ship should show up in the console with a number beside it (or just select your ship with left mouse button which will also print out its number on the console). Then there's a lua script "resetbridge" that you can run, e.g. if your ship number is 123, then type on the demon console "resetbridge 123". This does the same thing that docking at a starbase does -- fixes your ship up, refuels, etc. You can also toggle "safe mode" on and off on the demon screen by typing "safemode". If you're out of fuel, you will be refueled. Also if safemode is on, enemies will not begin to attack you (although if they were already attacking you, turning on safemode won't make them stop.)

Or you can just wait to respawn after asphyxiating, of course.
    Thanks, I did read the instructions and have requested clearance and activated magnets. It's just hard to "ram into the docking ports". May I suggest adding a small window with a Camera View in Navigation mode? As it is difficult to see exactly where you are headed while you swap between Nav, Weapons/Main.

Did not realize you could request a tow ship, but cool. Thanks

Have not messed with the Demon much yet, maybe when I get a few friends to sit down I will use it more.

Doubt I'll use the resetbridge command, as it will take the work out of the game. I'm not much of a cheater. :)

Thanks for creating SNiS you have done a great job, and I'm sure it will only get better. In time I would be willing to provide assistance with the Development Team when I can.
  • May I suggest adding a small window with a Camera View in Navigation mode?
    You know you can drive from the main screen view, right? Same keys as on nav to steer. Normally, the navigator would be able to see the nav screen and the main screen at the same time, but if playing solo, you can steer from the main screen.
  • And, with the the following 6 lines of code I just commited:

https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerds-in-space/commit/67d5baf5211d00561acff721d9f2b44403256c8b

You can now go on the demon screen and type "set main_nav_hybrid = 1" and the nav screen will now look just like the main screen, but with all the nav stuff superimposed on it.
  • Sweet, I'll check it out. Thanks for the quick response and help.
  • I made the changes to the script last night(The script you had was way different compared to mine, I got it from Git about a month ago), anyway I like it but looking for something a little different. Thanks again. I'll be moving out of the Intro Section now. See what other changes I can make and get back to you.
  • edited August 2019
    Heyyyy. Just joined, I'm 31, a dude, live in the DC metro area, been a sci-fi fan since I saw Blade Runner on laserdisc as a small child. My interest in bridge sims is sort of an intersection of a fascination with capital ships in sci-fi and my ongoing search for fun cooperative activities to do with my long-distance friends. PERHAPS I WILL MAKE NEW LONG-DISTANCE FRIENDS HERE??? Time will tell.
  • Welcome Blorg³
  • Hi. I've been a player of Empty Epsilon for about a year and a half, albeit sporadically since it's not much fun to play by yourself and my play group hasn't gotten together for it much since we were practicing to take on the Gen Con scenario last year. Glad to come aboard.