3rd Dimension

I get why the game is pretty much 2d (because true 3d is not exactly fun for casual players).
Is there any plan to re-add a 2.5d like Artemis?

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Could you elaborate that? From my understanding, EE fits perfectly a definition of 2.5d: 3d Rendering, but gameplay is fixed on a 2d plane.
  • Artemis is 2.5D with "height planes" as far as I understood (didn't play the version that had this feature)

IMHO, this doesn't add much except a shitload of complexity. The collision engine isn't build for this, UI becomes harder. So don't expect it.
  • Correct, basically a limit height to the game.

And the answer I agree with totally just curious for future plans.

The honest only thing it added was fighters could duck and weave. But for all other ships nothing really was added.
  • Ah, so it's a workaround for the many-fighters-lots-of-collisions issue.

You might be sad to read this. But I currently don't have future plans for EE. I have less time then I had years ago, and I'm working on and off on the 2nd version of my game engine (SeriousProton2) which contains so many improvements that working on EE feels annoying.
    Porting over EE to SP2 would be a lot of work due to all the differences in the engine (which is pretty much a rewrite from scratch), and due to the changes in the scripting engine, would break all mission scripts.
  • I'm sad :( But I do understand.
    Does this mean we going to see a EE2 in the future?
  • What is the expectation from a navigator for a game that supports full 3?

Is it the same "click on a target and have the ship allign with it" type of behavior?
    Is it more complex "realish" flight simulation mechanics like EliteDangarous?
    Something in between?
  • Look for my "pondering" topic, I think it has a thing on 3D navigation in there as well.

But if you have ever played KerbalSpaceProgram (and you should), you will know full true 3D navigation is tough as nails.

Don't expect an EE2 anytime soon. I don't have the time for the testing sessions with groups that I had a few years ago. And that makes it really tough to iron out a game like this.
  • KSP is full 3D with out any kind of assistance, and I think the point of that game is to show people how hard orbital mechanics is.
    If you've ever played Elite Dangerous, you've seen full 3D with assistance (usually toggletable on the joystick) and it can be quite fun.

I'd think with a star-ship there would be some expectation that there would be a navigation computer to help with the harder aspects of flight.

But that's why I'm curious about expectations.
  • edited July 2018
    Space Nerds In Space is full 3D but I assume that is common knowledge around these parts.
  • Oh, yes, there are various options in realism and navigation in full 3D.

There is the way Elite does it (and a lot of other action 3D space games)
    But you can also have full 3D navigation as Homeworld does.
    And Eve online also does full 3D in a once again different way.

If I ever make an EE2 with a 3D world, it will most likely be a combination of the way Elite does flying the ship, with the Homeworld way for Science and long range navigation.
  • Sad to hear on EE :(, been a major boon to me ARTEMIS just wasn't solid enough for LARP, Horizons was a bit too dense and no mature enough. EE has gone down a storm with players and myself.
    Basically understand the choice but well done and thank you for an amazing engine.
  • That's too bad that you're so busy...

Do you still plan to do any future updates to EmptyEpsilon given the so far committed but not yet released changes and pull requests? Or should people just fork your project and build and distribute updates themselves?
  • RedDrgn said:

That's too bad that you're so busy...

Do you still plan to do any future updates to EmptyEpsilon given the so far committed but not yet released changes and pull requests? Or should people just fork your project and build and distribute updates themselves?

I can still do release builds from time to time. The build street is still operational, meaning it's just a single command on my server to build&release.

I'm also still looking at pull requests and everything. Just not doing major updates myself.
  • do you have any plans to make it build with visual studio?
  • None. Got some contributions that helped in that area, but I don't actively maintain visual studio compatibility.
  • That is unfortunate.
  • I still plan to add scenarios. I hope those will be incorporated into releases. I still hope for a larger player community. I think a multiplicity of mission scripts to choose from will help, so I'm making scripts for people to play and hoping to inspire other script makers out there to add as well.

I know there are limitations to the game, but there are lots of creative options available with the LUA add on scripting capability
  • I'm making mission stuff, but since mine is GM based its usally tools, Map Generators and extras.