Hotkeys

I assume all Hotkeys are listed in options.ini? None for Science or Relay.

Comments

• Almost all.
    There are some exceptions of hardcoded Keys, like the Esc-Key, P for Pause, F1 for Help, F10 for showing FPS and traffic, or the cursor keys on the Main Screen.

But for station-specific Hotkeys, the answer is yes.
    The reason why there are are none for Science or Relay (and OPS) is probably because those are pretty much pointing-device-centric.
  • I get there pointer driven, but even the SCAN button is not attached to a HOT-KEY?
  • Well, that's just my personal explanation of it. And it's quite possible that stations that are pointer driven were not a priority to implement hotkeys for daid.
    But that is, of course, pure speculation.
  • Well, that's just my personal explanation of it. And it's quite possible that stations that are pointer driven were not a priority to implement hotkeys for daid.
    But that is, of course, pure speculation.

You are right, we play on a 100% touchscreen setup. I also dislike the way I setup the hotkey system.
  • Yeah, understood, just got cool custom controllers with nice buttons to use when switching from Artemis to EE.

That and touchscreen are expensive.
  • We want to build a Steampunk starship and want physical controls. I can do the hardware mapping buttons and rotary encoders to individual keys. This is great for Engineering, but would also be great for science. We await your coding with anticipation. The program itself is wonderful.
  • Engineering (the power management portion) maps numbers to systems sequentially from top to bottom. You need to account for the possibility of warp and jump drives around system 6. Once a system is selected, up and down arrows raise and lower power and left and right arrows raise and lower coolant. This should at least let you get started on a Steampunk engineering console.

It'll be a challenge to translate some of the other consoles touch-centric user interfaces to keyboard equivalents for hardware implementation
  • edited November 2018
    Thank you...... I'm going to try using resistive touch screens on flat surfaces for the bits I cant map. Its Science and Relay I really need :smiley:
  • edited November 2018
    @ruzzz : instead of a touchscreen, I would suggest to consider using a trackball.
    Just make sure to pick a model that doesn't look too similar to a mouse. There are some relatively cheap models with the ball in the middle, that would be appropriate for a steampunk environment imho.
    Take it apart, color the case (and maybe the ball, depending on its normal color) using copper spray or similar paint. Then maybe some coating for the cable, and you have a pretty much steampunk-looking device that can control any pointing-driven station.
  • Re: trackball... this reminds me, a few years ago I saw a couple guys at the Bay Area Makerfaire from UC Davis that were making a bridge sim called "Mayday 2763", and they had made a trackball out of a bowling ball. I took a pic: https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/106620271862623639898/6287291633792651986 They used to have a website, but it seems to be gone now.
  • We use trackballs currently, its solid, but for steampunk some sort of joystick might be useful. But honestly for Steampunk I would look at other software.