Max amount of ships?

I have been playing Epsilon for a while now with a few friends and we are looking at running a Larp style game here in Australia.
I had read here that a few people had had issues when running more than 3 ships at a time.
I was wondering what the max number of ships/players anyone had run successfully or semi successfully?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• There was a report of 7 player ships I think, playing trough the internet.

Personally, my maximum was 2 ships, 12 "clients".

EE was made partially because of the problems with Artemis getting out of sync. EE should never get out of sync problems. However, a single client which cannot keep up with the game network/performance wise can cause problems for the whole game.

They also need to run all the same version, version mismatches is also against the design of EE.
  • We did three at once, with I think 5 or 6 clients maybe more. And another game of three - one 4 person, one 2 person and another 2 person over the net. Ran good, we even did the star trek mod and some of my own ships.
  • Oh, and there is currently a hard-coded max of 32 player ships....
  • I will say, I used to be able to run the large battle scenario, but recently it has taxed the game and crashes. Even with my new computer. I'd say I haven't been able to run the scenario for very long since the last two updates. Of course there has been new ships added. I currently put in 8gb of ram, so I will have to try it again now that I have 16.
  • Last year we played with 7 ships connected by ehternet cable, each vessel in a different room and at most, near to 100 feet apart.

Most of our scenarios froze after 20-30 min of play. But probably my limited skills in programing was to blame.

More recently we played many games with 3 ships and encountered no problem (We had to clean more space on C:/ drive to opperate correctly.).
  • Hi! I got a couple questions.

1. Is 32 max player ships mean that there can be a max of 32 clients or a max of 32 ships (6*32 = 192 clients)

2. What is the limiting factor for a game?
    2a.) Is it the computer that is running the server? If so, what are the specs to be looking at? processor speed or ram or both?
    2b.) Or is it a limitation of the router?
    2c.) Or is it a limitation of the game script?
    2d.) Daid mentioned that a client who cannot keep up with the game network/performance wise can cause problems for the whole game. How do you determine the min spec for that? would dual core 2.2 GHz and 2 GB of ram be sufficient?

I am trying to prepare for an event of around 30 people and would love to have them all be playing in the same game at the same time.

32 max player ships, and with that, as many clients as you want, there is most likely some upper limit that I don't know about due to tech used. Could be that the number of clients on the windows release is limited to 63 due to this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms739169(v=vs.85).aspx
    (FD_SET is most likely used with the 64 socket limit)
    On a linux server this value is 1024 as far as I understood.

You might want to run more then 6 clients per ship, for extra viewports or other interfaces.

As for specs, we don't really know. Remember that a Raspberry Pi 2 can almost run the game without too much issues. So the specs are quite low on CPU/GPU requirements.

With a lot of clients, the server does need a lot of bandwidth. Pressing F10 ingame will show you the FPS and network usage on the server. I recommend the actual bandwidth requirements to be actually double that number, to allow for bursts. For example, when a client connects, it needs to be send all the gamestate data.

But, 30 people would be no issue, people have done that.
  • When you say 63 for Windows and 1024 for Linux, does that number depend on if the server is Windows or Linux? Say you have 100 Linux clients, 1 Linux server and 1 Windows client. Would the limit be defined by the fact that the Windows computer exists? Or the server's OS?
  • It's the server that sets this limit. So with a Windows server, you can only 63 Linux clients, but with a Linux server, you could have up to 1023 Windows clients.

But, a compile change in SFML can most likely change this, as a compile time define can overwrite this limit.
  • I believe the winsock limit is set by the OS, the compile time define does not change the OS settings, note this line from the article you posted " It must be emphasized that defining FD_SETSIZE as a particular value has no effect on the actual number of sockets provided by a Windows Sockets service provider."

Older non-server windows versions did have servery restrictive limits on connections. Newer OSs and server OSs have much higher limits.
  • There are different limits, but the FD_SETSIZE limit is the first limit we will hit. Other limits are much larger. This limit is only present for a certain way of checking which sockets have data available for them.