[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• minor note.. if you create an alternate tutorial and put tutorial as the first part of it's name .. clicking the tutorial button becomes a fatal error resulting in application crash.
  • Can I reset the delta via script? I presume it should be as simple as
    delta=0
  • Which delta?
  • edited November 2016
    Looking at kwadroke's code in the basic 55min the one iused here:
    function update(delta)
    and here
    gametimeleft = gametimeleft - delta
    so iI thought it was meant to be the global delta of how long the scenario had been running... I want to creatre a re-init function that's reset all the critical used vars and spawn a new player ship when the GM cliks a GMFunction button.. although looking at the code again it looks like I can just reset the gametimeleft and a few other vars as the delta is just the time between update(delta) calls. I'd also like to have a GMFunction button that was tracking the scenario time remaining.
  • Are victory messages customizable at this time?
  • Nope. But you can use the globalMessage with a victory. It should show on top of the victory message on the main screen.

I've pushed a new update yesterday after identifying a crash bug. So that should help in stability.
  • Here's an idea for engineering that came to me in the shower. Instead of a little map of the ship and you direct little mans to walk around and repair things, you just see a routing diagram of all the components of the ship:

The idea here is you wouldn't have power/coolant sliders at all. Instead you would drag and drop these lines between systems (I'm imagining it feeling very much like Mini Metro). Systems that generate heat have to have blue coolant lines routed to a heatsink. Systems that need power need a powerline routed from a substation. I also have green lines on here representing control lines; perhaps they can be damaged and stations get fuzzy and laggy? Might be too annoying.

As the ship gets damaged, systems and subsystems might take damage. One heatsink by default supports three normal-power systems, but maybe it has the capacity to handle five normal system, or three over-powered systems. If a heatsink gets damaged you would route coolant from the other two, but they would have less capacity to handle overpowering, so you would have to cut back or risk damaging systems. Same goes for power substations- one substation can support 3 or 4 systems if you don't crank them too hard, but if you want to really overclock something you have to borrow a powercable from another system. Maybe you route less power to that section of the ship, or maybe you just take missiles offline or something.

In this idea, each icon on this grid would still have its own healthbar, and you would still have to prioritize which ones to repair first, but you wouldn't see physical units walking around to repair them, just a red outline or something to denote they are being repaired.

You can even take a cue from Mini Metro and maybe you only have a limited supply of cables, and they can also be damaged. So if you lose a power cable you may have to daisy chain a few systems together to get them all working, limiting how much extra bandwidth you have to handle the power and cooling needs of overclocking.

The intent here is to make engineering feel a bit more like you're making expert decisions, not just optimizing a few sliders that an AI could probably do more efficiently.
  • That looks cool, maybe it can be implemented as a selection. To have in the start of the server?? Or have the original for only repair crews, ?
  • While that looks indeed cool - and will also add great star trek vibes! - I see some problems here.

- As it is completely different compared to the current engineering station, it would probably mean to do a whole rewrite of the station from scratch. Currently engineering is technically the most simple station, but one of the most busy ones. Changing that would also mean a lot of balancing.
    - Engineering has currently full hotkey support and all out- and inputs (except for damcon, I think) are available through the API. That also makes building custom consoles for this station quite easy. If auto repair is on or damcon is used as an extra station, you could even build a console without a monitor (using LEDs/needles etc to show states like health and heat). Rebuilding the station will remove those advantages.
    - using this version as a selection like Flea11 suggested would mean you have the maintain compatibility between that two variants, which would probably be very hard. For example: a particular coolant or system power value is set by http, by a script or in the gm screen. How would you handle that if the "routing flavor" is active?

Don't get me wrong, your suggestion is pretty cool, and it would be nice too see such an engineering station in a bridge sim (and I also like mini metro). I'm just not sure if that could be included into EE without sacrificing too many existing features.

OTOH something like that could be cool to spice up the relay station in some way.
  • That sounds like a neat custom console.. however I would hate to have to explain it at a convention or a middle school gaming group! Unless you'd want to write the tutorial for it...
  • edited March 2017

That sounds like a neat custom console.. however I would hate to have to explain it at a convention or a middle school gaming group! Unless you'd want to write the tutorial for it...

This. I think this is key. Engineering is already the most difficult to explain in general. As you need to understand what all the system do. This just makes it a step more complex and different.

So, cool, but I'm not sure it belongs in EE.

I am always pondering about a "hardcore" variant of a bridge sim. Not sure if SNIS does this (as I never bothered to try to get it to run due to all the dependencies). But something more along the lines of http://www.roguesystemsim.com/

In rogue system, instead of the reactor being a simple slider, it would be a complex system that needs external power to start up and heat the core, then initiate the fusion reaction, requires coolant to not overheat, and emits radiation, so is not allowed to be used near stations. And that's just the basics of the reactor/power system.

I'm always pondering to build something like that. But I haven't so far.
    (The early prototype of EE as a bit more like this. But didn't have multiplayer)
  • i'd still like to be able to reassign analog functions to joystick axis via config or some such..
  • I don't have any joysticks, that's why that piece of code is getting like, no attention from me.

The joystick support was a bit hacked in. A proper solution would for the joystick to hook into a key binding configuration. As I'm doing for version 2 of my engine:
    https://github.com/daid/SeriousProton2/blob/master/include/sp2/io/keybinding.h
  • Why didn't you say so.. where should I ship a joystick to... PM me and I'll send you one!
  • I've noticed that the Intercept All Comms feature on the Game Master screen seems to stop working properly after a few uses. The first hail goes as it should (Comms chat box appears on Game Master's screen and conversation takes place normally.) However, all hails intercepted after that one open the first conversation again and continue it, and the "Hailing as _____" title doesn't seem to be changeable from the GM's screen. Closing the chat box from the GM screen also seems to make it disappear forever (I haven't figured out how to make it come back without restarting the server) and the Hail Ship functionality stops working from the GM screen at this point. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?
  • I thought there was an object reference on a wiki showing a grid with all the different object reference.. or was that just a dream I had...
  • There is a script reference file with the game maybe you are referring to that?

The GM comms is indeed a bug. You don't need to close the server, but close&open the GM screen for it to come back. I haven't tracked it down yet.
  • newbro here, thanks for an absolutely stunning piece of software dev. Looking at running my own missions with friends but I have two questions in the meantime.

With the existing stories is there any way to override an event? We trialled one of the missions in the game and become stuck when an event wouldn't trigger. I checked the script after and it appears we hit all preconditions however I am not experienced enough with the framework to be certain. Anyway, in the GM screen can events be triggered manually if we do get stuck to for example, bump us onto the next story arch?

Another question, are there more mission packs available?

Thanks all.
  • Question: How difficult would it be to add setOrbit to SpaceStation objects.. or all space objects.. It'd be nice to be able to set non player ships, asteroids, and space stations all able to orbit planets..right now if I define a Planet station and set the planet to orbiting a sun.. the planet runs away from the station..... I could use update to move the station, but if the player or other ship is docked will that generate a buggy condition?
  • daid said:

There is a script reference file with the game maybe you are referring to that?

Indeed! Thanks
  • I think an ship docked to an orbited station would look buggy on a network.

Orbit on all objects would be a problem, as the code only works on objects that have no other movement.
  • Understandable... obviously adding orbit to everything would greatly increase server and workstation resource requirements.. Currently I'm trying to figure out why my mission script runs init, but never seems to run the update(delta) function... I obviously messed something up..
  • That usually means the init caused an error, should be in the logs.

Don't worry about the load of a few orbits, orbits are cheap compared to many other things that are calculated and send trough network.
  • Thanks.. you were right.. it was in the logs (once I fixed dir permissions so it could create the logs). I'm much closer now.. Just have to figure out a few more minor bits.. I wanted my Comms Script to update a global variable, but it seems they don't inherit down.. so I'll have to find another means.. or figure out how to embed the comms script in the main one.. but I believe I saw a scenario I can learn from for that.
  • The "atlantis" scenario script makes heavy use of embedding comms into the main script and thus share variables. The separate comms scripts didn't work so well for scenarios and that's why I added the new method, which provides a lot more flexibility.
  • It's starting to shape up nicely. I almost can't beat it running all positions myself.....
  • Ok Next Question:
    PlayerSpaceship:addCustomInfo(ECrewPosition position, string name, string caption) PlayerSpaceship:removeCustom(string name)

Look useful.. There's no update/set function and even trying to use a new addCustomInfo or a combination of removeCustom and addCustomInfo does not seem to consistently update the client stations.. Granted my testing has been single system acting as server and all 5 stations...which could be part of my issue. Am I looking at it wrong?

• Ok. in comms scripts the use of comms_target is extensive and common.. but such does not exist when using setCommsFunction(). Is there a function that will return the comms_target object/table? It would be helpful to have the return values listed in the script_reference.html too.
  • ok I rewrote my comms function to accept a callsign which it then searches the friendlies list for, simple and effective but I wouldn't want to use it for a game with a high friendly count since it traverses the complete array of friendlies.
  • "comms_target" is available in the setCommsFunction. Instead of "player" you have to use "comms_source" when using setCommsFunction, which makes more sense then player. (Also, player was a name usually already used in scripts, so that made possible errors larger)