[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• edited September 2016
    1) I see, mostly an NPC ship, then? Would be cool to get more description of the ships when on the selection screen.

2) that might explains it then, but on the current version both Basic and Waves spawns the Atlantis; previously the Basic game did not automatically spawn the Atlantis.

The only suggestions I have so far then is on the Engineering screen. Right now you can only select a system by clicking on the name--it would be nice if you could also do this by clicking on the associated damage/power/coolant bars as well.

Also, I think it would make more sense if the tinting for visible/nonvisible areas on the map were reversed: gray out the unseeable fog-of-war areas, and leave the visible areas with the space black background.

Again, looking forward to playing soon :)
  • edited September 2016
    Hi again,

here is the kind of image I can deliver for each type of planet/moon/star.
    I've created the following denomination :
    'obj'_'type'_'number'_'textureType'.
    which gives for exemple : planet_moon_4_specular

I've got around 60 textures of different "planet" divided in 8 types : star, moon, gas, ice, metal, rock, sand and blue (earth like). Also got 5 cloud textures, 3 atmospheres and I wish to create a few illumination textures. Cloud, atmosphere and illumination would be unrelated to the type of planet since one can have an atmosphere, clouds and settlements, or not.

When this "library" is completed, I wish to finish a code I started to create random star systems with planet and moons.

Exemple of different textures for a moon :

Color :

Specular :

Normal :

Illumination (just an exemple) :

---

As much as I can work with the image files to create the library and a planetTemplate.lua file... I would need some help to implement the different textures in the game in the core script.

Either by adding these options :

Planet:setSpecular(string specular_texture_name)
    Planet:setIllumination(string illumination_texture_name)
    Planet:setIlluminationColor(float r, float g, float b)

Or by telling me how I should do it otherwise (maybe in the model_data.lua file ?)

Thank you very much !

----

Also if it was simply a "model" maybe a planet could then be used as a spaceStation allowing docking and communications ?

And could we just change "Planet" in this code for "SpaceObject" so that any obj could be in orbit (spacestation, satelite, warship, artifact, etc.) ?
    Planet:setDistanceFromMovementPlane(float distance_from_movement_plane)
    Planet:setAxialRotationTime(float time)
    Planet:setOrbit(P target, float orbit_time)
  • edited September 2016
    We've made a new test this Sunday, and had a lot of issues. We tried the sept 2nd's version.

- We had 2 pcs running on XP. The game was really laggy an was not playable, we removed them from the playtest. At this point I suppose the game is not supported on windows xp. Another laptop, which was known to overheat a bit, became really hot to the point of shutting down; An android tablet. There was some delay and a bit of lag, but except the backscreen glitch, everything worked ok; An Alienware gaming laptop and a Macbook pro early 2011.

- The server was on the alienware, connected by ethernet cable to the wireless router.

- We played a basic scenario without any problem, except maybe a bit laggy the moment the mouse arrow went over the game screen.

- Then we tried the "birth of the atlantis" and "ghost from the past" scenarios. Both crashed down after ±10 min of play, resulting in the game freezing, then one after the other the clients disconnect from the server and the game hosting the server has a death freeze and has to be closed by alt+f4 or "end task". The second time we tried with the Macbook pro hosting and came to a similar result. We then tried with the version from june 24th, and got similar result as well.

playtest logs : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxRh-nvNB_91V2FrVTdMUlQ5UlE

----

Thoughts :
    - even if the game does not seem to have huge requirements, maybe our machines were not "good" enough
    - maybe the router has come to the end of it's life cycle (the same router was used multiple time this spring without any issue and hosting more computers)

- we also had multiple crash after 10-20min of play in our event of june 25th. On the other hand, all playtest made before that (using the 2016-06-02 version) had no issue whatsoever. Could it be that something got wrong since the 2016-06-22/24 version ?

- The "basic" scenario always seem to work great, while other more complex scenario struggle at some point. In our playtest with multiple ships in june, a complex scenario with 7 ships would fail, while the same scenario, divided in 3 parts with 2-3 ships each had no issue at all. Does the complexity of the scenario affect a lot its reliability ?

----

Next to come :
    - as soon as possible we will try a new playtest with other equipment.
    - We will also try to compare the stability of the last build and the 2016-06-02 build.

We wish to have another event on november 12 with 10 ships. Stability is the main issue now :(

----

Thanks for your help and support !
  • Is there any chance you can still collect the crash logs? The crashes concern me a lot. I did find 2 things that could explain them. One of them also explains the "collision bug" that I've been seeing in long sessions without server restarts.

I cannot guarantee XP support, as slowly the world is dropping support for it. If you have older machines it's most likely better to run linux on those. We've got a whole bunch of machines that used to run XP that now run EE on linux without problems.
  • Where do we get the crash logs from?
  • The crash logs are the .RPT files generated next to the executable.
  • edited September 2016
    Sorry for that. There was no .rpt in both game folders.
    I'm still waiting to get the one from the Alienware laptop if there is any.

Only .rpt I have is from the EE version I use to tinker... You can look at the very last part of the document (september 25th, the day we tested multiple versions) if it may be of any use : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxRh-nvNB_91c0Q0UFpINUFiQVE

• Ok been playing round with the editor, mainly to learn scripting so I can recreate some training missions I used in ARTEMIS.

Slight issue. Moons. I can't seem to get them to orbit planets. Ive used Empty as an example so my code is below. (The First Moon is around Earth)

--Jupiter
    planet5 = Planet():setPosition(779000, 0):setPlanetRadius(35745):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/jupiter-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    --Io
    moon2 = Planet():setPosition(819745, 0):setPlanetRadius(1680):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/moon-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Europa
    moon3 = Planet():setPosition(824745, 0):setPlanetRadius(1560):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/moon-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Ganymead
    moon4 = Planet():setPosition(829745, 0):setPlanetRadius(2630):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/moon-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Callisto
    moon5 = Planet():setPosition(834745, 0):setPlanetRadius(2410):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/moon-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)

planet4:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    moon2:setOrbit(planet4, 10000.0)
    moon3:setOrbit(planet4, 10000.0)
    moon4:setOrbit(planet4, 10000.0)
    moon5:setOrbit(planet4, 10000.0)
  • Ignore me I forgot to count Mars :)
  • The last few times the game crashed, I haven't had a report generated, maybe it is my computer and not the game..
  • edited September 2016
    moon2:setOrbit(planet4, 10000.0)
    in the function ":setOrbit( , )" you have to chose the orbit center. In your example, I suppose you want the moon to orbit jupiter, which is planet5, as written here :

--Jupiter planet5 = Planet():setPosition(779000,0)

your code should then read :

moon2:setOrbit(planet5, 10000.0)

and since each moon may not be at the same distance of Jupiter, you should have different amount for each moon for where the "10000.0" stands.
  • update : no rpt file on the alienware either.
  • @Capt_Lapadite are you using the official version, or one you built from source?
  • @kwadroke the official.
    We never had any ".rpt" file. Even in our games from june 25th that had many server chrashes.
  • moon2:setOrbit(planet4, 10000.0)
    in the function ":setOrbit( , )" you have to chose the orbit center. In your example, I suppose you want the moon to orbit jupiter, which is planet5, as written here :

--Jupiter planet5 = Planet():setPosition(779000,0)

your code should then read :

moon2:setOrbit(planet5, 10000.0)

and since each moon may not be at the same distance of Jupiter, you should have different amount for each moon for where the "10000.0" stands.

Will you have the coding available for us here in the forums? I'd love to see this once it is done.
  • Yup coding will be put up once Im happy. At the moment distance is around 100 times shorter than real life with radius of planets at around half the planet. Current setup is below, just tweaking other bits at the moment. Basically using the Solar system for a demo game at UK Game Expo next year (assuming everything is stable).

--Planet Radius currently is half.
    --Distance is divide by 100 (so Earth real is 149,000,000 not 149,000).
    --Neptune is at F230
    --Currently all planets in a straight line
    --Name, Distance (That would then be on the 0 plane)

--Mercury , 57000
    planet1 = Planet():setPosition(40615, -39993):setPlanetRadius(1215):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-1215):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/mercury-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    --Venus, 108000
    planet2 = Planet():setPosition(-89908, 59838):setPlanetRadius(3025):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-3025):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/venus-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.6,0.2,0.0)
    --Earth, 1490000
    planet3 = Planet():setPosition(149000, 0):setPlanetRadius(3185):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-3185):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/earth-1.png"):setPlanetCloudTexture("planets/clouds-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereTexture("planets/atmosphere.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.2,0.2,1.0)
    moon1 = Planet():setPosition(159000, 0):setPlanetRadius(865):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-3185):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/moon-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Mars
    planet4 = Planet():setPosition(227000, 0):setPlanetRadius(1500):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-1500):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/mars-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    --Jupiter, 779000, 35745
    planet5 = Planet():setPosition(779000, 0):setPlanetRadius(35745):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-15745):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/jupiter-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    --Io
    moon2 = Planet():setPosition(819745, 0):setPlanetRadius(1680):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-35745):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/io-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Europa
    moon3 = Planet():setPosition(829745, 0):setPlanetRadius(1560):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-35745):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/europa-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Ganymead
    moon4 = Planet():setPosition(839745, 0):setPlanetRadius(2630):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-35745):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/ganymead-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Callisto
    moon5 = Planet():setPosition(849745, 0):setPlanetRadius(2410):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-35745):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/callisto-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Saturn
    planet6 = Planet():setPosition(1429000, 0):setPlanetRadius(30130):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-30130):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/saturn-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    --Titan
    moon6 = Planet():setPosition(1469130, 0):setPlanetRadius(2575):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-30130):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/titan-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Rhea
    moon7 = Planet():setPosition(1479130, 0):setPlanetRadius(750):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-30130):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/rhea-1.png"):setAxialRotationTime(20.0)
    --Uranus
    planet7 = Planet():setPosition(2887000, 0):setPlanetRadius(12775):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-12775):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/uranus-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    --Neptune
    planet8 = Planet():setPosition(4498000, 0):setPlanetRadius(12380):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-12380):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/neptune-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)
    --Ceres
    planet9 = Planet():setPosition(414000, 0):setPlanetRadius(470):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-470):setPlanetSurfaceTexture("planets/ceres-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(0.0,0.0,0.0)

sun1 = Planet():setPosition(0, 0):setPlanetRadius(1000):setDistanceFromMovementPlane(-2000):setPlanetAtmosphereTexture("planets/star-1.png"):setPlanetAtmosphereColor(1.0,1.0,1.0)

--Orbits
    planet1:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    planet2:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    planet3:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    moon1:setOrbit(planet3, 10000.0)
    planet4:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    moon2:setOrbit(planet5, 20.0)
    moon3:setOrbit(planet5, 20.0)
    moon4:setOrbit(planet5, 20.0)
    moon5:setOrbit(planet5, 20.0)
    planet5:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    moon6:setOrbit(planet6, 20.0)
    moon7:setOrbit(planet6, 20.0)
    planet6:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    planet7:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    planet8:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)
    planet9:setOrbit(sun1, 10000)

--New Planet locations if in orbit.
    --(Mercury) Planet():setPosition(40615, -39993)
    --(Venus) Planet():setPosition(-89908, 59838)
    -- Planet():setPosition(148980, 2446)
    -- Planet():setPosition(154201, -2217)
    -- Planet():setPosition(-161061, -159964)
    -- Planet():setPosition(666405, 403417)
    -- Planet():setPosition(685342, 367341)
    -- Planet():setPosition(702911, 430984)
    -- Planet():setPosition(616648, 393454)
    -- Planet():setPosition(623394, 438880)
    -- Planet():setPosition(1342623, -489290)
    -- Planet():setPosition(1324267, -519243)
    -- Planet():setPosition(1381005, -477576)
    -- Planet():setPosition(2887000, 0)
    -- Planet():setPosition(4498000, 0)
    -- Planet():setPosition(408193, -69097)
    -- Planet():setPosition(0, 0)
  • Had a small 4 player game today. EE ran well, ran the 9-02 version.
    Only crashed once, and we played via wireless lan. I didn't get the crash report yet(if there is one). Played two games of EE and three of the star trek mod.

Had a question on tactical screen for the main viewer, they were concerned that there was not the 360 degree labeling around it like in helms. They would like to see that, if you find it feasible to do or within your scope of the game.
    Thanks

• Yup coding will be put up once Im happy. At the moment distance is around 100 times shorter than real life with radius of planets at around half the planet. Current setup is below, just tweaking other bits at the moment. Basically using the Solar system for a demo game at UK Game Expo next year (assuming everything is stable).

Thanks for your work Dwaine, It could be very helpful to simulate "real" scientific scenarios. Is it possible for you to provide the files used to make the several planets ?

• edited October 2016
    Daid, have you thought of adding the ships velocity to the missiles? It is a bit like how the U-boats in ww2 would attack at full speed, so a torpedo that has a top speed of say 25, knots would have the added speed of the U-boat at 10knots, so about 35 knots of speed for the torpedo.

Sometimes during daring maneuvers I have engineering boost impluse, but then I quickly over take my own missiles, and that's not good if they are nukes...
  • Flea11 said:

Daid, have you thought of adding the ships velocity to the missiles? It is a bit like how the U-boats in ww2 would attack at full speed, so a torpedo that has a top speed of say 25, knots would have the added speed of the U-boat at 10knots, so about 35 knots of speed for the torpedo.

Sometimes during daring maneuvers I have engineering boost impluse, but then I quickly over take my own missiles, and that's not good if they are nukes...

Okay, now that I am able to type more. Can it be set so that I do not beat the missile to my target, Not necessarily that the missile GOES faster (well at least to whatever I am shooting it as is, ).

Does that make sense or?
  • Have some report files:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gm8wwijomg49kx1/EmptyEpsilon2st.RPT?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy6nvcs37qp2pbb/EmptyEpsilon - Copy.RPT?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6yj9dv2ff6j3z1/EmptyEpsilon.RPT?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tl2wfoi3tpj0fja/EmptyEpsilonts.RPT?dl=0

Had a pretty long game play. Ran 4 computers plus two over the net. Using both regular and the trek mod. Only hang ups was with game master screen as server. Would hang up or crash.
    The computers here at my house all connected via cat 6 cables and switch. Didn't a single crash to desktop that I can remember.
  • Thanks :-) those crash reports show exactly what I feared. Something is going wrong with pointer tracking. Most likely something something is corrupting memory by writing outside of it's buffer.

Really difficult to track.

Especially the one in relay is odd, it's checking if a target is set, if not it skips a bit of code, if the target is set, it later crashes on a check that uses the target position and an object from the "all object list". The code that's listing all the objects is used a lot and shouldn't return "no object" pointers. The target is checked, and still I get a crash because there is a null pointer being used...
  • I feel like I might be oversimplifying here, but could this be a matter of Relay setting a target which then (perhaps due to hostile actions, I'm not one to point fingers) ceases to exist?

If the "This is my target" flag is not properly discarded on destruction of the spaceObject, then next time Relay checks "Something is targeted", decides something is targeted and before you know it it's looking for the position on an invalid object.
  • edited October 2016
    Glad to help.

We tried running the battlefield mission, with the same setup and the first time it hung up and i had to restart. The second time it worked but was pretty laggy. I may cut the forces in half and run it.

We also did multiple ships. We had one ship with two 1:1/ console, my computer ran server and three consoles, one computer ran a single player, then two computers across the internet ran one ship with two computers sharig almost all the console's for that ship or variation thereof. We haven't done much with the 3/4 consoles though.

One request, not a big bug but my brother couldn't sign into the server using the password. He determined he had caps lock on but when you type it is all caps whether it is on or not. And it is case sensitive,

Thank you
  • HOU5E said:

I feel like I might be oversimplifying here, but could this be a matter of Relay setting a target which then (perhaps due to hostile actions, I'm not one to point fingers) ceases to exist?

If the "This is my target" flag is not properly discarded on destruction of the spaceObject, then next time Relay checks "Something is targeted", decides something is targeted and before you know it it's looking for the position on an invalid object.

Problem is, if you look at the code, I use the P<> type of objects for references everywhere, these should auto-clean when the object is destroyed. And the target cannot be destroyed between the "check if it exists" and "using it for position".

The code that is usually crashing is the "check if selection target is in range of a friendly" so something could also be amiss with the friendly checking code, but that piece also looks sound and same structure is used all over the code...
  • Bugger! Occasionally I get lucky with one of my naive questions being helpful, but this is not one of those times :smile:
  • Has someone a surefire way to replicate these crashes ? I don't seem able to replicate it consistently.
  • Fouindor said:

Has someone a surefire way to replicate these crashes ? I don't seem able to replicate it consistently.

I think all the reproducible crashes have been solved.

I ran the whole makerfaire event without a single crash. But we did run operations instead of science/relay.
    (We did have the "ghost collision" bug. Which I've traced down and fixed now)
  • daid said:

Which I've traced down and fixed now

Well done sir!