VOIP & EE

@daid - Now that we have internet/master server support, I've been thinking about how to communicate with remote players.
I know that SeriousProton has some support for VOIP in src/networkRecorder.cpp. How much is there left to do to be able to start using it in games, or is it ready?
If it's ready, how do we set the activation key?

Comments

• It's not ready. The recording part is made. It can send recorded data to the server. But the server does not distribute this to the clients, and the playback on the client isn't implemented yet. So, about 30% done.

• Ok. Just checking.
    Will probably use Mumble or something until a native Voice chat is ready.
  • The only way I see built-in voip being worthwhile is if it does something novel. Otherwise, why not just use skype/teamspeak/etc.
    Though there are some cool possibilities: pre-recording audio from scenarios so that other ships can speak through the main screen (video hails, yessssss); and video hails in general.
  • Ease of use not being important?
  • John Bono said:

The only way I see built-in voip being worthwhile is if it does something novel. Otherwise, why not just use skype/teamspeak/etc.

No additional client or accounts needed & (theoretically) cross-platform compatibility. Don't have to agree upon a client as everyone will have one built in.

• (theoretically) cross-platform compatibility
    Nothing "theoretical" about it. It's what I do.
    Also, automatic setup of only voice comm within the same ship. Maybe only allow the relay officer of one ship communicate with the relay officer of another ship?
  • daid said:

(theoretically) cross-platform compatibility
    Also, automatic setup of only voice comm within the same ship. Maybe only allow the relay officer of one ship communicate with the relay officer of another ship?

I've seen some cross-platform problems on a couple of other implementations of VOIP in the past, but, I figured it would work. I just didn't want people to get the wrong impression if it didn't.

I'd like to see relay be able to hail other ships. A way to have captains talk to each other would be nice too.

Shipmates should be able to talk to each other, but not necessarily hear other ships. If everyone is together in one "channel", multi-ship communications will probably cause confusion.
  • daid said:

(theoretically) cross-platform compatibility

I assumed this is how it would work, and then relay can patch it through the main screen's audio, and pick up from a room-wide mic (or a webcam if you're feeling generous).
  • Well, yes, one day. The basic components for VOIP still need to be tested first.
  • Voip should be used for ship to ship communication. 'inter ship" communication (eg; multiple crew members playing of teh interwebs) can be handled by external clients (teamspeak & all)
  • nallath said:

Voip should be used for ship to ship communication. 'inter ship" communication (eg; multiple crew members playing of teh interwebs) can be handled by external clients (teamspeak & all)

If the code is there, why not both with multiple channels. (A channel for each ship, and a spawned channel when ships are within range of each other.)
  • The base system I'm creating allows for multiple VOID targets. So I am accounting for the intership and the ship2ship use.
  • daid said:

Maybe only allow the relay officer of one ship communicate with the relay officer of another ship?
    Yes! I think it is a super interesting way to involve the com station a little more in the game and having more to do
  • While having a dedicated solution in game sounds really great, in the meantime Discord works pretty well.

Unfortunately it gets quite fiddly if you want to have two captains talking over an open channel with the crew able to hear but not interject.