Possible Additional Ship Models

So I'm toying with the idea of donating some more ship models for the game, in particular I'm fond of these models that I've come across:

(The Author has quite a few models for sale and they're fairly reasonably priced)

Also, I believe you're using some of AngryFly's models in the game right now, I might be persuaded to get a few more for use in the game.

Thoughts?

Comments

• There is nothing wrong in ship itself but I don't like visible turret models as there is no function for them in game (or is there?).
  • There is nothing wrong in ship itself but I don't like visible turret models as there is no function for them in game (or is there?).

The model page mentions that the turrets are removable.
  • The model page mentions that the turrets are removable.

I missed that too.

The models look good, just have to watch the number of Polys. Removing the turrets should help some with that.
    If these are added there could be two "manufacturers" of starships in the story to explain the differences in looks. The AngryFly Corporation for the existing ships, and MS Ship Developers for these. :smile:

• I definitely like the idea of adding different groupings of ships, that's one thing that's always bugged me about Artemis, the complete lack of diversity in ship models.
  • Im all for new ships, I bought a few for myself, (added a topic on it, check it out if you like). I see some ships from the author you mentioned John, that I may buy myself.
  • 100% for this ! :D
  • Note, if I buy models, I can include them in the game without infringing on the license. That's what I did with the AngryFly models. And that's why those models are packed into .pack files. (And cannot be edited)

I still have money in the paypal donation jar for EE. So I could buy more models. But I think more models should also go on par with more variations in ships.
  • So it's a matter of sending the money to you (maybe with a list of desired ship models).
  • I'm hoping to get a few different ships for fun soon, but I want a better ship for a carrier, but the distance on the camera is a bit close. I know it is a adjustment for later down the road however.

I want to have a fighter deployment mission. And my current carrier isn't very pretty.
  • edited March 2016
    I have 140 dollar in the donation jar. So more then enough to buy a few things :-)

(I like to be as transparent as possible)
  • edited March 2016
    Fouindor said:

Note that a model for probes is also needed, but I didn't find really good ones :
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/mars-1-3ds/773037
    https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/space/spacecraft-sci-fi/probes

That second link looks awesome!

Actually, the more I look at that artists models, the more I love them, especially these fighters (which I missed the first time I was looking through his models)

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/space/spacecraft-sci-fi/fighters-scouts

Edit: I also love the fact that most of his models have a ton of alternate texture colors, which could come in handy for PvP scenarios.
  • I really like those fighter models. 25$ for a pack isn't much. We would have to check how well they match with the other models though.
  • edited April 2016
    So, I happened to have an idea while I was trying to get to sleep last night:

One of my big beefs with Artemis has always been the lack of variety in ship designs, you're stuck with the one specific aesthetic and adding or modding ships is not an easy task.

So, I'm wondering if it would be possible, and desirable to essentially have "ship packs" that players can choose, so for example (I'm not an expert on the ship types in EE yet) let's say there's 5 types of ships available to players:

Fighter
    Frigate
    Destroyer
    Battleship
    Cruiser

So each ship pack must contain a model for each 5 ships, and they should all match each other. Like @kwadroke said, each ship pack could be from a made-up manufacturer (adding a bit more flavor and lore to the game).

Thoughts?
  • edited April 2016
    So here's how it could work with the style of ship that I like:

Fighter

Frigate

Destroyer

Battleship

Cruiser
  • i like the dif. color sets
  • wopot said:

i like the dif. color sets

Yeah, that was going to be another idea, that some sets could offer different colors (which would be awesome for PVP scenarios).
  • wopot said:

Yeah, that was going to be another idea, that some sets could offer different colors (which would be awesome for PVP scenarios).
    Absolutely !

btw, does the actual pack used in this version also contain a different color sets ? Can we use them in the ship template (or elsewhere) to create different colored ships?
  • wopot said:

Absolutely !

btw, does the actual pack used in this version also contain a different color sets ? Can we use them in the ship template (or elsewhere) to create different colored ships?
    I don't believe the current ship models contain additional colors.
  • I don't believe the current ship models contain additional colors.
    Yes and no.
    No the current models don't contain different colored textures.
    Yes, some of the current models came with photoshop files. And these are nicely layered, and there is a "color" layer in there. So they could be colored.

Example:
    Original
    Modified

I could even set it up that you have a "color" texture. This is done by for example newer Unreal tournaments. The "color texture" is an alpha transparent texture with white areas. This texture is rendered on top of the normal texture and at whatever color the player needs to be.
    It's not that complex to setup from a code standpoint, but it is quite a bit of work to create those textures.
  • daid said:

I don't believe the current ship models contain additional colors.
    Yes and no.
    No the current models don't contain different colored textures.
    Yes, some of the current models came with photoshop files. And these are nicely layered, and there is a "color" layer in there. So they could be colored.

Example:
    Original
    Modified

I could even set it up that you have a "color" texture. This is done by for example newer Unreal tournaments. The "color texture" is an alpha transparent texture with white areas. This texture is rendered on top of the normal texture and at whatever color the player needs to be.
    It's not that complex to setup from a code standpoint, but it is quite a bit of work to create those textures.

Interesting...

I think for the purposes of EE, a set number of colors would suffice.
  • I've added the fighter&scouts models. 4 new models. But I haven't made ship templates that use those models yet. Did check if they look ok and work ingame.

They also came with 3 models that are suitable for scan probes, so scan probes have a 3D model now.
  • Awesome!!! In my mercenary ship that has no Shields, is there any thought to adding armor as a more useful to help reduce but not eliminate of course, damage to systems? Or maybe a way to beef up systems a little more?? I'd like to see this for maybe an alien faction, brute speed and firepower, but no Shields etc.