Bugs and Ideas

I though it could be great to have a place for any bugs we encounter or ideas we get to push the game forward.

Bug - The "Global message" button from the Game master console does not seem to work properly. We have tried to send a few messages but no ship received it.

Idea - Multiple "game master console". As we would like to host an event for 60 people, it would be great to have many computers tweaking the map at the same time. Could it be possible to have many computers (or clients) to access the Game master console ?

Comments

• If I recall correctly, for now clients cannot access GM console as it handles things accessible only on the server's side. As of now there isn't plans to make it available to clients. Maybe a "junior GM" console in the future ?

With which version did you tried GM global message ?

• ""With which version did you tried GM global message ?""
    - The last one available on the website. (29-2-2016)

"Junior GM" could be great. If having a client GM is complicated, maybe just having a GM station that would allow establishing communication with any player, maybe tweaking the player's ship also, and any stuf that would be ok for a client.
  • The global message should show up only on the main screen. Maybe that's why you didn't spot it.

The GM screen is indeed a technical limitation. The clients do not have information on quite a few things, including the AI state of CPU ships. Advantage of having the GM screen only on the server is that it's much easier and quicker to code. As you know you can access every internal state of everything, and modify anything without dealing with network code.

The GM->Player comms "outsourcing" to clients would be quite complex (as the code assumes there is only 1 GM). But, player ships can open comms to other player ships just fine. So you can set aside a few ships for the GMs to use as GM comms.

With (a lot of) work you could setup the http server to have different consoles for certain things. As the http server has access to all the script functions that the game has, it can modify ship states with no problem.
  • (Just verified that the global message works as expected in the latest source tree)
  • I though it could be great to have a place for any bugs we encounter or ideas we get to push the game forward.

There is a place for that: https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/issues

• Global message -
    Oh I see. Indeed we didn't have a main screen when we tried it. It may come as an issue for smaller crew ships, who may forfeit the mainscreen for technical reasons. Do you think it should send a message to all stations instead ? or maybe All mainscreen and communication station ?

GM screen -
    I understand the limitations. I guess we'll let it that way for now. Thanks for your advice.

Issues -
    Thanks kwadroke, I didn't know this site. I guess we may delete this post if it's not the right place.

----

Input -
    Since I'm new around here and I don't want to bother you, I just wanted to know how my/our input could be appreciated. What role we can fit in for this project.

Thanks again.
  • Issues -
    Thanks kwadroke, I didn't know this site. I guess we may delete this post if it's not the right place.

I'll leave it up. Sometimes it's best to discuss issues before creating a bug report.
  • Global message -
    Input -
    Since I'm new around here and I don't want to bother you, I just wanted to know how my/our input could be appreciated. What role we can fit in for this project.

Thanks again.

You're free to use whatever you are most comfortable with. I keep track of both these forums and the github issue tracker.

(FYI, I'm the main programmer on EE)