[GAME] EmptyEpsilon

Comments

• While I do not technically require permission, I have a great deal of respect for those involved in the creation of these software applications (like yourself).. and just as I respect artists by recognizing their work, so I do to software developers.. yeah I know it's rare these days. If it works out and makes enough I will donate a portion to the project (I have to cover my costs which as kwadroke points out is non-trivial) and if it is sufficiently successful, then maybe the following year I can offer to fly you out to attend as well.. If you were interested of course.
  • I'm performing a build now.. and will begin testing shortly. If successful.. the only issue I have had with the August 18 2015 build I was using was the 3/4 helm and fighter would not acknowledge joystick input.. only the 5/6 Helm would... I'll let you know after I test..
  • Between August and now, there have been quite a few changes.

Just committed the joystick for operations (4 player weapons+helms screen)

The UI rework isn't finished yet, so that will give some ugly bits here and there.
  • I see that there have been and I must say the new I is looking slick I've also updated my bootable USB build to allow me to rebuild Empty Epsilon without having to rebuild the entire image.

• If it works out and makes enough I will donate a portion to the project (I have to cover my costs which as kwadroke points out is non-trivial) and if it is sufficiently successful, then maybe the following year I can offer to fly you out to attend as well.. If you were interested of course.

First cover your cost. Then cover your costs for the next year, then cover costs for fixes/improvements of your setup. And finally, if that all works out, you might be able to trick me in flying to the US. (If I'm allowed to enter the US...)
  • edited March 2016

Clarifying now that not on my phone..
    Fedora 22. 20160323 build.
    Bug: Player ship death causes the Science, Relay and Operations+ clients to simply exit instead of doing the proper static screen

Creating Wormholes make this large square of solid black background with the wormhole on radar type screens

Also on a 4/3 ship Operations+ does not have a means of seeing the reputation balance for supply purchasing.
  • edited March 2016
    Clarified above.
  • We got some crashes for science, relay, and maybe some other screens sporadically today on the 02.29 build, always seemingly triggered by the server stopping.

Having to stop and restart the server to switch and/or restart a scenario became a minor pain point as well.
  • If the server crashed, there should be a RPT file in the EE folder. If you can send it to us it will help for debugging.
  • wopot said:

masterserver down
    http://daid.eu/ee/list.php
    e404

Mainserver also not enabled in the released builds ;-)

(I moved IPs a day ago. Most likely DNS on your side hasn't updated yet. I'm getting an empty page as expected)

• Bug: Player ship death causes the Science, Relay and Operations+ clients to simply exit instead of doing the proper static screen

I had the same problem a few weeks ago on some WinXP machines using the last official build. I thought it was an XP issue as the other clients are Win 8. Haven't had a chance to get the RPT files off there.

• Ok, found it and fixed it. Two possible crashes, one on the relay code and one on science. Both where trying to access the player ship after it was destroyed.
  • daid said:

Ok, found it and fixed it. Two possible crashes, one on the relay code and one on science. Both where trying to access the player ship after it was destroyed.

Would the same be used in the Operations of the 4/3 station?

• We got some crashes for science, relay, and maybe some other screens sporadically today on the 02.29 build, always seemingly triggered by the server stopping.

Having to stop and restart the server to switch and/or restart a scenario became a minor pain point as well.

It seemed like it crashed more on the stations running windows 10, but that could be a coincidence. Engineering works like a champ on Android tablets though.
  • Operations is a variant of science, so same crash as science caused operations to crash.
  • No luck on getting models into the game. I've crashed out on I believe textures. I have also tried to just assign colors to the model but it shows up violet in the game. I would like to figure this out because I use to do a lot of mods for Orbitersim and have a lot of different models I could use or donate. All my models and textures are done by me so they are 100% free if I can get them to work. Any hints? I use Anim8or to model but have imported into blender to export as an .obj file.
  • Violet is a placeholder for missing images (or textures). How many Tri's/Poly's are your models? I found over 9000 tri's seems to slow down loading time.
  • The .obj loader is VERY picky or it will crash the game. It requires both normals and UV mapping. Blender does not have the proper options of this enabled by default.
  • bugfix for the relay/science crash confirmed
  • kwadroke said:

Violet is a placeholder for missing images (or textures). How many Tri's/Poly's are your models? I found over 9000 tri's seems to slow down loading time.

Yeah I aware of the placeholder color. It's about 72 tri's and takes a bit to load. Ita very curvy model. All my models were done for Orbitersim and are very poly and texture heavy. I stripped a ton of stuff off the model I was testing in EE just because there were lots of detail you wouldn't see in EE.

• daid said:

The .obj loader is VERY picky or it will crash the game. It requires both normals and UV mapping. Blender does not have the proper options of this enabled by default.

So a straight up colored model without textures will not work. I've never used Blender. I loaded it because the export from Anim8or didn't work and I notice it was mentioned here. I use to work for a media company so I have older versions of quite a few modeling apps. 3d Max, Maya, Lightwave and a couple of others. I used Anim8or for my Orbiter models because at the time it was the best suited for the custom mesh format Orbitersim uses. In your opinion what would be the better app to use for models?
  • the new website is nice!
    Have not been able to get my crew together for a game lately, and my son has been playing other games, so not much on the battlefront from me.
  • In your opinion what would be the better app to use for models?
    I've used blender to save all the obj files that the game currently uses. It's just important to tick the UV map and normal export checkboxes when exporting.
  • edited April 2016
    daid said:

In your opinion what would be the better app to use for models?
    I've used blender to save all the obj files that the game currently uses. It's just important to tick the UV map and normal export checkboxes when exporting.
    Had them thar things checked. Well, I was only playing around and I really don't have the time to invest in converting any of my Orbiter models into EE models.

Here is a link if you want to see just a few of the models I did for Orbiter.
    Click me! No Click ME!

• I've put up a new build at emptyepsilon.org

As it contains the crash fix for when the ship is destroyed with science/relay/operations.

It also contains the new UI work from John. It's not finished yet. But it's a start.

This also includes the Android version, which was broken in my previous test build that I spread.
  • daid said:

I've put up a new build at emptyepsilon.org

As it contains the crash fix for when the ship is destroyed with science/relay/operations.

It also contains the new UI work from John. It's not finished yet. But it's a start.

This also includes the Android version, which was broken in my previous test build that I spread.

Sweet. Will try that version this weekend for the event at the Library.
  • I love seeing new official versions! April 1st though? If this is a trick I'll be very sad :P
  • masonry pattern on the icon?