How to install the .deb on Ubuntu?

Hello,

I'm trying to install the game's .db file on an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS without success.

Could someone tell me what manipulation to do?

It is written that the file is not supported.

thank you

Comments

• edited November 2020

You should be able to run this in the terminal to install with any dependencies after you download it

sudo apt-get install ./Linux_EmptyEpsilon_EE-2020.08.25.deb

• Thanks, I actually saw that you need a manager like apt or Gdebi or DPKG. Apt is recommended. I can't see apt's GUI when looking for it in apps, so I thought Apt was not installed. I will try it from the command line. and try to find how install graphic Apt.

It's been 15 years since I used a Linux.

• EmptyEpsilon isn't in any Debian repositories so you'll need to download the file then install it. Gdebi will give you a GUI to help install deb packages.

• Yes, after comparing the different graphical managers or in terminal mode I installed Gdebi which allows the installation of packages that are not in the repositories, so locally it's good.

It installed no problem but now I'm looking for how to find and run EE. I'll find it eventually.:-)

• I found the folder in /usr/local/share but I don't know how to run it. I can't find any info on the web.

• run EmptyEpsilon from the Run option in your Desktop Environment or at the Terminal. There isn't a menu option for it for some reason

You can also create a file in ~/.local/applications or in /usr/share/applications called emptyepsilon.desktop with the following contents:

[Desktop Entry]

Encoding=UTF-8

Type=Application

Icon=applications-games

Name=Empty Epsilon

Comment=Starship Bridge Simulator

Exec=/usr/local/bin/EmptyEpsilon

Categories=Game;

• Thank you so much.

I found the executable in /usr/local/bin but when I run it, the following message appears: error while loading shared libraries libsfml-system.so.2.4: cannot open share object files: no such file or directory.

Should I create a "link" to this library or should I install this library?

• How did you install the DEB file? If you used apt-get or GDebi it should have installed SFML for you.

• That is unless the dependencies were removed from the package

• libsfml-dev is the package that should install the SFML packages needed. Can you make sure that libsfml-dev is installed?

• I used gdebi.

libsfml-dev is already installed.

• Unless Ubuntu does something different with libsfml it should have installed the needed libraries. I don't have an Ubuntu system to test on at the moment.

It works fine on Debian Buster.

• The version of libsfml in buster is 2.5, not 2.4.

Could it be that the deb-package has been built against an old backported library (iirc there was some version related rendering bug in EE a while ago.)?

• it is way beyond my knowledge.

I need help

I really thought there were more people playing on ubuntu and not necessarily Debian or Windows.

• edited November 2020

That was adressed to @kwadroke

As to me, it looks like the package was build using an old sfml(because you mentioned an error not finding sfml 2.4, wich is not the recent one even in debian)

I really thought there were more people playing on ubuntu and not necessarily Debian or Windows.

I guess most people build it from the sources, so there is probably not much experience with the deb.

• The .deb is build on debian buster, but earlier versions where build on stretch for quite a while.

Linux is kinda annoying with these kinds of things. I could link SFML static, that would solve a bunch of these problems. Or an appimage. But both take extra effort, the deb I could just build with the system I already had in place.

• Thanks for the explanation, but I'm not sure I understand everything.

In the end, can I play the February 2020 version on Ubuntu?

By getting the sources somewhere and compiling them? Or by using the .deb available on your Daid site and doing something with libraries?

Thanks a lot

• I forgot to specify that it is the February 2020 version that is causing the problem. I uninstalled it and I installed the latest version of August, and there actually no problem installing and launching.

But for my French translations I want to use the February version for now.

Unlike windows, you can't install several versions at the same time, that's a shame.

I'm going to look at the Daid links to find out how to compile the sources (where can I find them?) To make this February version work.

• edited November 2020

Thanks Daid,

From the sources https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/archive/EE-2020.02.18.tar.gz and from https://github.com/daid/SeriousProton.git, I have successfully compiled and to make the 02-18-2020 version work on Ubuntu, thanks to your 2 tutorials. I also created a .deb

This is for a remote friend with only Ubuntu and not Windows.

1. Do you have a tip to allow all online players to hear server sounds (explosion, scenario messages, self-destruction ...)? In the options we can do it for the musics.
    2. Otherwise, I just realized that the science_db.lua file that I translated only appears on the server. If I want the translated science database on the client, I have to overwrite the file on the client. I thought all .lua scripts were launching from the server?

EDIT : 3. Is there a tutorial for using an online server? : port to open or redirect, link to provide to clients, etc.)?

• 3 But does not work...

I opened and redirected port 35666 to udp and tcp on my box and on Windows Defender. I run the server in "Internet". I run the client on Android, choose Internet and write my public ip but the client can't find anything.

• 3 In fact it works well in wifi, not in 4G

Thanks for all :-)

• Actually, it is only tcp, not udp, though I don't think removing udp would solve it. But it might be worth a try.

Otherwise, I just realized that the science_db.lua file that I translated only appears on the server. If I want the translated science database on the client, I have to overwrite the file on the client. I thought all .lua scripts were launching from the server?

Nope, only the scenarios and linked script files are server-side, the rest is client-side, if I am not mistaken.

• Thanks

The latest version allows to see the view of the server (Main screen) on the clients. It works on windows but it doesn't work on Ubuntu. The additional window does not appear. Do I have to change a parameter somewhere?

• I am not sure what you mean. Main screen is not dependent on the server. Client side mainscreen is, and has been possible for years. And of course on Linux as well.

• In the previous versions we could not see the main screen on the client console as in the photo. We could not select Main screen and the other consoles at the same time.

Now we can but it only works under Windows at home.

• "Now we can but it only works under Windows at home."

Finally it also works under Linux, it appears when we put the full screen, I had not seen.

Sorry