EE Package for Debian 8 Jessie

Hi there, I made a binary package of EmptyEpsilon for Debian 8 (Jessie). Please note that I am not a Debian developer and barely know what I'm doing. The package works for me, but your mileage may vary. It may work on your machine, or it may eat your dog.
It's here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwe293cC9mCcQjhUU3pOWkM4aFE
Best regards,
Peer

Comments

• Hi there,

I am not an Linux Expert (not at all), but we were several time a pc short for our brigde. So I refitted an old netbook (Like 5 year old, and concepted as netook - so even then a rather slow hardware) with a new linux installation and followed the linux installation guide given by the developers. (Basically my first linux installation)

I only encountered 4 painpoints with this (and at least two of them were my own fault or stupidity):
    1st: I used a linx mint (because it was praised to be small and lightweight) - this was another linux flavor than the tutorial. [For all not fluent in Linux: Some Commands may be slightly different named - like apt-get instead of apt-install]
    2nd: I could not get Github to work (so I simply donloaded the stuff)
    3rd:To get the damn thing to compile - (missing a sudo in the end).
    4th: Getting the thing to compile so that it runs with other systems - thankfully the howto was explicit how to overwrite the Version Number - (but I had a typo 3 times a in the Version)

A test run with the Netbook showed is was running pretty fluent (as a client at least) - what was more than expected because before this operation it took a minute to open word from the desktop. Running it in Wine took of too much performance for this setup.

From this experience and the Documentation: The Linux is based on a nightly build. And without compiling it with the same version number your friends are using - it may and will be useless. (And changing just the Version name, well might give some interesting results if there were important changes). So I guess it would be better, if we had a look at the How-to and improve this, rather than posting binaries. ;)
    And you can recycle obviusly a lot of old hardware, to have more stations at hand.

From my problems I guess the first needs not be addressed urgently - as someone using a linux would know the commands I guess.
    The second one I would have to investigate, if the how to could e improved (maybe by a link to the github how to)
    The 3rd might have been obvious to a linux user, but the error message was cryptic and sadly did not say: You do not have write permission on root, but file not found or something like this.
    The 4th is nothing we can do about, to avoid this trouble of recompiling it might be an option to read the version from a config file - or to type more carefully.

(Compilation Guide by the developer: https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/wiki/Build-from-sources).

Best regards and sorry for the long post,
    Mahagon