UI Design Help?

Comments

• Here's a square version, it's using about half of the starfield, so I could probably make a second one with the other half.

• edited March 2016
    And here's the second one:

• Thanks ! :)
    I'll see what's the result :)
  • Still have a problem with border :(

The closest I could get to seamless (by haphazardly applying filters in GIMP) is these results, where one side is perfectly seamless, but the other isn't at all.
    http://i.imgur.com/54DQZ3z.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Iwx5rX1.png
  • Can anyone confirm, is the skybox set up like this?

• So, back to the UI for a second, I'm wondering how many states there are for buttons. I'd like to be able to account for all possible states.
  • Alright, quick update on Helm, this new version removes all of the glows and returns the color to the original white scheme, I've also moved all of the widgets closer to the edge of the screen. Also added is the jump widget.

• edited March 2016

Can anyone confirm, is the skybox set up like this?

I looked into this last night and again a few minutes ago, There's only one file for the skybox, which, is repeated for all sides of the skybox. So it does not work the way that image is displayed.

The Images are actually rotated in-game, The Top is on the left and Right is on top (for the 4 side boxes)

A Text based representation (Hope this makes sense) :
    . R . . . R . . . R . . . R . T . B . T . B . T . B . T . B . L . . . L . . . L . . . L .
    T= Top, R=Right, B= Bottom, L=Left

The File is called Stars.png in resources.
  • kwadroke said:

Can anyone confirm, is the skybox set up like this?

I looked into this last night and again a few minutes ago, There's only one file for the skybox, which, is repeated for all sides of the skybox. So it does not work the way that image is displayed.

The Images are actually rotated in-game, The Top is on the left and Right is on top (for the 4 side boxes)

A Text based representation (Hope this makes sense) :
    . R . . . R . . . R . . . R . T . B . T . B . T . B . T . B . L . . . L . . . L . . . L .
    T= Top, R=Right, B= Bottom, L=Left

The File is called Stars.png in resources.
    Hmm... so in order to get a starfield to look right, it'll need to have seamless tiles in all 4 directions? Woof. That's rough. That also kind of rules out the use of anything with a nebula, because it'll just get repeated in every direction. If it were changed to a 6 panel image like the example, I could probably make the desired image work.

(Should we start a new thread to discuss the starfield/skybox?)
  • Probably should start a new thread to keep down confusion.
  • New thread started for starfield discussion.
  • I really like what you are doing with the GUI widgets. Being able to change colors and design on individual widgets is great. I know you are working a=on a uniform GUI right now for the standard game but I hope you don't do away with the current capability to customize the widgets if we want to.
  • If at all, the customization options will only increase.

I'm still thinking on how to improve the layout code. As the current layout works quite well on 4/3 screens. But looks a bit odd on widescreen monitors.

Note that most things are re-styled now. Except for the overheating/damaged/power indicators and some minor things in server creation and ship selection.

My build machine is still packed (just moved houses), so cannot do a build right now. But I hope to fix this tonight.
  • Built the latest from Github and I must say that it looks really impressive !
    All that's missing are diverse icons :)

Maybe use an icon aggregator to find those of interest :
    Energy : https://icons8.com/web-app/6703/lightning-bolt
    Heading : https://icons8.com/web-app/3392/east-direction
    Speed : https://icons8.com/web-app/18747/speed
  • The design of John has icons, I just didn't put them in (also due to lack of proper layered files)
  • daid said:

The design of John has icons, I just didn't put them in (also due to lack of proper layered files)

Would some vector SVG files of the icons help?
  • Yes. While the game cannot load svg, I can turn them into proper alpha transparent PNGs from there.
  • Ok, here's a Zip of all of the Icons that I currently have designed in SVG format.
  • Great. I quickly implemented them. Not perfect yet (most likely because I saved them as 128x128, and the down sampling isn't looking that great)

If anyone runs the latest source and you see pink squares, those are missing icons right now. Icons that I am using in the source code, but do not have an icon yet are:
    * Hull (for hull strength left on engineering)
    * Jammed (indicator when you are warp/jump jammed by a jammer, shown at the same spot as the overheating indicator)
    * low energy (same position as overheating icon. When your energy reserve is low)
    * low power (same position as overheating icon. When there is very little power in this system)
    * no power (same position as overheating icon. When there is no power in this system)

And then there are quite a few locations that I'm not using icons yet.
  • Looks nice !

I wondered about the status of the previously seen game logos made by Interesting John. Can we consider them as official ? They are really good looking :)
  • Fouindor said:

Looks nice !

I wondered about the status of the previously seen game logos made by Interesting John. Can we consider them as official ? They are really good looking :)

They are official enough for me. I just need the final files and I can put them in the game (and startup icons)
  • daid said:

Fouindor said:

Looks nice !

They are official enough for me. I just need the final files and I can put them in the game (and startup icons)
    What size and format would you like the logo in?
  • I guess an svg voor the "in game" white version.
    And will need an .ico (or 16, 32, 48 and 256px icons to convert to an .ico) for the windows version.
    Android needs 48, 72, 96, 144, 192

No idea what OSX needs exactly, but right now that version also does not build correctly for a deployable version.
  • I'll go ahead and add Android, Windows, OSX and Linux icons to the project on github.
  • While we're talking about logos, would you like me to give the game's website a design spruce-up?
  • While we're talking about logos, would you like me to give the game's website a design spruce-up?

Feel free. The whole source is located on github as well:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/tree/gh-pages
  • daid said:

While we're talking about logos, would you like me to give the game's website a design spruce-up?

Feel free. The whole source is located on github as well:
    https://github.com/daid/EmptyEpsilon/tree/gh-pages
    Awesome! I gathered from the URL that it was on github as well, but I hadn't looked too hard for the pages yet. Any rules that you'd like followed? I won't touch any of the content, just the design.
  • Any rules that you'd like followed?

Uh.... no pink unicorns on the landing page?