Introduce Yourself

Comments

• BigEd did you play MTrek back in the day? That's a big inspiration for us as we work on Horizons.
  • edited October 2015
    Hi all,
    My name is Lee, I am a fire fighter and refrigeration technician, I have no skills in computers or coding (except for the occasional scripting).  But a big fan of most any space related game, rpg, movie etc. 
    Love the bridge sims.  I have a group of 4 friends who enjoy the bridge sims as well.  We get together every so often for a round of games.

Found this forum will looking for other bridge related games.  
    Played almost all the star wars flying sims, rpg's, fps's both video game and tabletop style.

I have three  laptops (fourth one is run down) that I ran most bridge games on when I am by myself or with my friends.  My son who is 4 currently loves the ships as well, so he mainly pilots while I toy with other features of the games.

Right now I'm playing a lot of empty epsilon and XvT.

Well met!
  • Welcome Flea.
  • Hello,

I'm another old-timer who played his first computerized starship sim using the UW-Stevens Point mainframe and a dot-matrix printer back in the early '80s. Built my first serious attempt at a bridge sim in 2000 with three keyboards, one screen and four chairs using Klingon Academy. Started playing Artemis SBS a little over two years ago and am in the process of building the first of a set of three portable 12x12 bridges.

I am a technical college instructor who operated an architectural restoration/large-scale propmaking firm for 16 years prior to returning to teaching. I've designed and built immersive museum and zoo and amusement venue features, helped to rebuild the decorative facades of historic buildings and churches and temples, provided custom outdoor decorative elements for municipalities and estates, and helped to build full-scale working replicas of various WW2 artillery pieces and armored fighting vehicles. I study and teach medieval and Renaissance European martial arts with a specialization in Thibault's rapier. I founded and ran the Freefall and ZeroGee series, the Midwest's largest Firefly-themed airsoft LARP series, for 9 years until I passed it on to other hands just this summer. Some of you may be familiar with Away Team, my attempt at a set of Artemis-integrated LARP rules for cons using Nerf or lasertag.

I am thrilled to discover this high-skill, like-minded community, and hope that perhaps we can assist each other. I am an experienced event organizer and large-scale 3D prop designer/builder, but I don't know jack about programming. What I am really looking for is a spaceship bridge simulator that either has or can accommodate simple trade economics so that I can design open-ended Firefly-like multi-ship PVP missions that can be integrated into 150+-player weekend-long full-immersion live-action airsoft or Nerf-gun roleplay games. The vision is that events can be happening on a LAN "in space" and on the airsoft field "spaceport" or "colony world" simultaneously, and that these events can affect each other in real time. I've had the airsoft LARP end in the can for almost a decade now, but I simply cannot find a programmer who is willing to play ball with me in any serious way even though there are paintball and airsoft venues across the US who would leap at the chance to host such events.

I am willing to learn to code to help make EmptyEpsilon into the simulator my customers and I really want, if you all are patient enough to talk me through the learning curve, or I would be willing to labor-trade if there are coders here who would be interested in swapping a trade economic mechanism for the bridge console set or LARP event of their dreams.
  • Welcome gryphon.
  • Hello everyone!

I got here through interest in Empty Epsilon. I'm fairly new to Star Bridge Sims, started few months ago at unitedstellarnavy.net, where we fly on Artemis.

Cheers!
  • Just realized I didn't respond...

Welcome @matthias_wlkp!
  • Yo.
    I am called Chris by some.
    About 15 years ago, I decided to build the game of my dreams. It would be like a Star Trek bridge - in a room, with lights and consoles and smoke and red-shirted crew! My dad was going to help me (he can code, I cannot). But life happens, and we're both a bit flakey.
    Anyway, then along came a bunch of people less lazy than us, creating Artemis and then others. Which saved us a lot of work.

My gaming background ranges from D&D back in the late 80s, to tabletop wargames and videogames. But I love spaceships above all other things. Except maybe boobs. They're pretty awesome too.

So I'd still like to build the game of my dreams, but now the only real limit is some dollars, a space to build my bridge, and a bit of electronics knowledge (which I'm currently studying at trade school) to get cool lighting effects and other immersive set prettiness. I've pretty much convinced my fiancee that when we buy a house this year, it needs to have a starship bridge. She's exceptional on the Relay console in EE :)

My experience with Bridge Sims is limited at this stage, we've just run a couple of EE nights, but I'm really excited by the prospect of building a community of nerds in my area who love spaceships (almost) as much as I do.
  • >and a bit of electronics knowledge
    If you need help on this area. I have a background in this as well.
  • daid said:

>and a bit of electronics knowledge
    If you need help on this area. I have a background in this as well.

Rad! Thanks mate.
  • Welcome, loquacious_b!
  • edited March 2016
    Hello !

First, I must say... great job to everyone who worked on this project !
    We played Artemis for a while, but EE came a refreshing exciting and awesome experience. We are also definitely sold to the "free open source" concept.

I'm called Manuel, I work in Architecture/Urban design in Montreal, Canada. I'm a LARP enthusiast and self-made game designer (Board games (http://www.productionskatharsis.com/en/) and LARP).

With friends, we organized LARP activities of many types in the last 12 years. Ranging from the traditional medieval fantastic world, to renaissance-like political game (http://projet-enclave.com/) and post-apocalyptic survival games (http://c14.ca/)(https://www.facebook.com/C14GNpostapocalyptique/photos). Our activities gather around 150 participants from different ages and backgrounds, most of them with more than 10 years of experience in LARP or theatrical expression.

With the team of Projet-Enclave, we decided to create an immersive LARP in a sci-fi theme using the Artemis bridge simulator to generate the battle and interaction system. When we discovered and tested Empty Epsilon in the last weeks, it came clear your game would be ideal for our needs and wishes !

Depending on how well EE work with a lot of players, we wish to be able to set the first activity this June. We hope to be able to make as much as possible with the Game master console and of course, to confirm the support capacity for 60+ Clients in a pve-pvp game :P

Thanks for all the good work !
  • Depending on how well EE work with a lot of players, we wish to be able to set the first activity this June. We hope to be able to make as much as possible with the Game master console and of course, to confirm the support capacity for 60+ Clients in a pve-pvp game :P

While I do not see a direct technical reason why 60+ clients would not work. It has not been tested with more then about 10 clients.
    If you can, use as much wired network as possible. The code does not account for network latency, and we had some problems with wireless networks on early versions. (Also due to a bug that caused errors in the network data)

I've never seen the network data peak beyond 50kb/s per client (with 200 enemy ships). So in theory you should be fine there.

Just a powerful desktop PC for the server. And you should be safe there.
  • Welcome, Capt_Lapadite.
  • If you're going to use this for a larp, you should contact the people who run SevCol. They already ran a few larp events with EE. I'm pretty sure they would love to give you some pointers as to what issues they ran into.

• Hi my name is jkru2133, i am a student from holland and i actually got into bridge sims because i came across this forum.

There is not much to tell exept for that i really enjoy empty epsilon. So @daid keep up the great work please!
  • Welcome jkru2133
  • Hello everyone
    I'm Wes I live in New Mexico which is the middle of nowhere so finding people to play locally is going to be interesting. Someone showed me a video of Artemis last week and I haven't been able to stop researching about all of the bridge sim stuff. I've read through a good bit of the EE forum stuff already.

This is my first experience with open source software, I've seen a few but this is the first one that really caught my eye. So I'm sorry if I end up asking dumb noob questions.

I'm hooked. :) Lol I haven't even played and I'm trying to figure out how I can come up with the money to put together a basic bridge that I can build on.

I run the tech department at my church so I am really familiar with lighting (my pic is our stage, not that you can see it all that well) and fair with custom hardware. So now I just need to find the funds to put everything together. :) Isn't that always the problem.

Thank you for putting this together, hopefully I'll be able to contribute once I up my skillset.
  • edited June 2016
    Welcome Maphesto.
    If you have a local board game store, check there for people to play. There's a lot of overlap between board games & video games. Science Fiction conventions are good too, if you have one local. Star Trek fan clubs would be another good place to find players.

Feel free to ask questions. That's what the forums are here for.
  • Hey, y'all.

My name is Steven, and I'm a big, big nerd for this whole thing. Seriously. I don't even know where to start with how obsessed I am with the idea of creating immersive and interactive bridge simulators for zero-G combat.

Actually, that's not true, because I do know how it started: LucasArts perfect game "Star Wars: X-Wing".

I can remember fondly my days (and nights...and then, days again) with my 386, my HUGE 15" monitor (the thing probably weighed just about a metric ton), and my CH Products Flightstick Pro, the best mid-grade joystick you could get. I nearly wore that thing out as I threw my starfighter into all kinds of impossible maneuvers, all while feeling like I could take on the whole Empire by myself. X-Wings, Y-Wings, A-Wings, I flew them all (Even the B-Wings, too, once they were available, though I never got the hang of them).

X-Wing changed my life, but I always felt there was something....missing. Even in later iterations like X-Wing-Vs. Tie-Fighter and X-Wing: Alliance, with multiplayer finally built in, as much as I loved the fighters, I felt like there was an untapped potential in capital ship combat. I didn't want just one person controlling a big ship against someone else controlling another big ship. What made the idea of it fun was the crew of a battleship against some other crew controlling a carrier, a destroyer, or a space submarine, (yeah, I know, that sounds weird, but I can explain how it *sort of* makes sense later) matching wits off the shoulder of Orion. All of it...it just felt like it was so clearly something that needed to happen.

Obviously, I don't need to explain this to anyone on this page. If you're here, you know what the appeal is. It got so deep under my skin, so invaded every corner of my brain, that I went and wrote a pair of novels about people who play a game that's very much like Artemis, Empty Epsilon, Starship Horizons, etc. The main difference being, the novels are long, a little bit profane, and overly detailed to the point of being a bit boring. None of the games I mentioned have those issues, so far as I can tell. Heh.

Anyway, My wife and I have played Artemis several times over with friends and had a blast every single time. I look forward to reading and seeing new things to keep me inspired!

Thanks for reading!

Steven Lacey

• Welcome, SongOfOrpheus
  • Hello all,

I'm Marcelin, from lille (France). I work as SAP consultant
    I'm a big SF fan, a former video game player, I'm still playing paper rpg and I practice LARP since 10 years, and writing now. I 've also discovered the pleasure of arduino programming 2 year ago

and of course, I play artemis sbs and empty epsilon since a year.

I'm working during my spare time on some small larp project including spatial transport and I'm glad to find here information and contact

^o^
  • Welcome, mathkuma
  • Hello everyone! I started playing bridge sims way back in 2010 (maybe '11?) when we played Artemis at Gen Con. We've sampled a couple other bridge sims over the years and my interest has been stoked again. I didn't know there were so many alternatives to Artemis! I'm glad there are though. Looking forward to giving all these a try.
  • Welcome UndeadScienceOfficer.
  • Hi there, my name is Nigel, username smokeyb. I'm building an Empty Epsilon bridge simulator with a friend to use in LARP games, notably Stargate based events. I'm looking forward to talking to like minded people on here. Thanks for letting me join.
  • Welcome smokeyb.
  • Greetings,

My name is Nathan. I am part of a group that plays Artemis once a month in Dallas, TX. We have created an extensive amount of props and light setups. I am very interested in assisting in the development of Empty Epsilon. I have two years game development experience, so if anyone is involved in that I am open to discussion.

Best Regards,
  • Welcome, natethelion.

Are you perhaps part of the group that runs/has ran Artemis at All-Con?
  • Thank you Kwadroke!

I believe that was a separate group. We always run ours at the Dallas Makerspace. Its a community workshop where we get to build awesome light displays and props to enhance the game experience. I encourage you to check it out if you are in the Dallas area:

www.dallasmakerspace.org

Best Regards,